Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I caught a rat in my car. Shortly before I caught it a noticed that my right brake light wasn't working.

Now, multiple new bulbs have been tested in the brake socket and the problem persists.

Emergency flashers work on all sides, but the turn signals on the affected right side work only when the headlights are off. When the headlights are on the affected side blinkers work, but flash quickly and the rear flashers are dim.

I haven't been able to figure this one out. I am not proficient with electrical testing but I do have a meter.

Are there any wizards out there who can help me with this issue?

This is a 2004 Pilot.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,042 Posts
I’d start looking for chewed wire harnesses. First place to look would be in the area that the rat made its home.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Occam's razor:
  • When you hear hoofbeats, think horses before zebras.
  • When you smell a rat, look for what the rat chewed.

*Give the 20 bucks to road2cycle. He probably called it and besides, I'm just in it for the glory. :cool: And to help my fellow human beings.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ha, I don’t want the bounty either. I’d just be happy knowing I helped out a fellow Pilot owner. I’ve learned a lot on this forum and it’s nice to be able to pay it forward.

Reactions: plplplpl and can

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rat was mostly under the center console in between the driver and passengers feet.

Is there a cable that leads to the right rear lights that goes under there?

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
We found a rat damage in wife's prior Accord. We started having rough idle issues.

Took car to dealer. The rat(s) ate into main wiring harness, plastic engine vent, windshield fluid tank, hoses, etc.

AAA Insurance covered the $3,800.00 in damages. Dealer said harness wire arching was causing idle and other issues. They said Honda uses plastic that rats love to chew on.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
There are fuse panels on driver and passenger footwell area, so there are wires in that area. I would start on passenger side since I think you mentioned the right side bulbs have the issue. Also look in the engine bay since some of the wire bundles pass through the firewall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts