Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1ST Tranny fluid change- at 184K! LOL

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  The Todd 
#1 ·
Hi all. I've had this 08 pilot SE FWD since new. Only changed the oil religiously- myself.

Recently got our 2nd Pilot, an LX w/ trailer towing, 4WD and now started reading/posting on this site. Nice site btw!

So, after I researched it, I did the 4qt change of tranny fluid today, yep, at 184K miles. She still runs great, before and after the partial change.
But wait, it gets better!
I also used Valvoline MaxLife ATF! I know, I know- but many people had had zero problems using it.

And yes, I plan to change it out a week or two apart- 4 more times.

And yes, I did say 4 qts/gallon went back in.
When I checked the tranny, - (never have in 12 years!) I know, I know, right?
It was a little low. So drained at least 3qts- 4 went in. Still not all the way up to the upper mark.

And, I read and watched many Youtubes about this too.

Realizing I would have to have gone to the hardware/auto parts store to fabricate a hose/funnel that would have used the dipstick tube to refill,
I used my 1/2" drive bigger ratchet and got the fill plug bolt loose first.
Then, I climbed under, used my 3/8 drive from a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter and my larger 1/2 ratchet and tried to get it loose.
Wouldn't budge.- hit it with the neck of a fiberglass hammer. It gave and I thought the 3/8 drive just slipped off- but no, it loosened it!

So now all was good. Drained what I could, and
used a piece of garden hose scrap I had lying around, a funnel the fit it tight, and another funnel to give me a larger area to pour into.

Bingo! - 1st partial tranny fluid change, @ 184K miles LOL!

See less See more
#6 ·
#13 ·
We just got back from Walmart- among other things I got another Gallon of the MaxLife ATF- ~ $ 17.40/gallon! Less than 4.50 a Qt.
Just checked to level again when we got home. Still slightly low, or just a hair below the low mark. Looks relatively clean for only having 1 d/f (4 qts went in), in 184K miles! Tranny has always worked great too.
So, I plan to drain it ( I hear about 3.5ish comes out? And putting the whole 4 qts back in too.

I'm plan to do this soon too, to out new to us 2015, 4WD too.- 64.5K mi on it.

Based on my research, I WILL use the Honda fluid for the rear end though.

Reactions: plplplpl
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.