Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've had this 08 pilot SE FWD since new. Only changed the oil religiously- myself.

Recently got our 2nd Pilot, an LX w/ trailer towing, 4WD and now started reading/posting on this site. Nice site btw!

So, after I researched it, I did the 4qt change of tranny fluid today, yep, at 184K miles. She still runs great, before and after the partial change.
But wait, it gets better!
I also used Valvoline MaxLife ATF! I know, I know- but many people had had zero problems using it.

And yes, I plan to change it out a week or two apart- 4 more times.

And yes, I did say 4 qts/gallon went back in.
When I checked the tranny, - (never have in 12 years!) I know, I know, right?
It was a little low. So drained at least 3qts- 4 went in. Still not all the way up to the upper mark.

And, I read and watched many Youtubes about this too.

Realizing I would have to have gone to the hardware/auto parts store to fabricate a hose/funnel that would have used the dipstick tube to refill,
I used my 1/2" drive bigger ratchet and got the fill plug bolt loose first.
Then, I climbed under, used my 3/8 drive from a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter and my larger 1/2 ratchet and tried to get it loose.
Wouldn't budge.- hit it with the neck of a fiberglass hammer. It gave and I thought the 3/8 drive just slipped off- but no, it loosened it!

So now all was good. Drained what I could, and
used a piece of garden hose scrap I had lying around, a funnel the fit it tight, and another funnel to give me a larger area to pour into.

Bingo! - 1st partial tranny fluid change, @ 184K miles LOL!

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Makes you wonder why Honda left Z1 for DW-1.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
......and now there is Honda 3.1 at +/-$30/qt.😱

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
......and now there is Honda 3.1 at +/-$30/qt.😱
Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF will work in that transmission too!

Attachments

Reactions: The Todd and PLT383

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
760 Posts
Hi all. I've had this 08 pilot SE FWD since new. Only changed the oil religiously- myself.

Recently got our 2nd Pilot, an LX w/ trailer towing, 4WD and now started reading/posting on this site. Nice site btw!

So, after I researched it, I did the 4qt change of tranny fluid today, yep, at 184K miles. She still runs great, before and after the partial change.
But wait, it gets better!
I also used Valvoline MaxLife ATF! I know, I know- but many people had had zero problems using it.

And yes, I plan to change it out a week or two apart- 4 more times.

And yes, I did say 4 qts/gallon went back in.
When I checked the tranny, - (never have in 12 years!) I know, I know, right?
It was a little low. So drained at least 3qts- 4 went in. Still not all the way up to the upper mark.

And, I read and watched many Youtubes about this too.

Realizing I would have to have gone to the hardware/auto parts store to fabricate a hose/funnel that would have used the dipstick tube to refill,
I used my 1/2" drive bigger ratchet and got the fill plug bolt loose first.
Then, I climbed under, used my 3/8 drive from a 3/8 to 1/2 inch adapter and my larger 1/2 ratchet and tried to get it loose.
Wouldn't budge.- hit it with the neck of a fiberglass hammer. It gave and I thought the 3/8 drive just slipped off- but no, it loosened it!

So now all was good. Drained what I could, and
used a piece of garden hose scrap I had lying around, a funnel the fit it tight, and another funnel to give me a larger area to pour into.

Bingo! - 1st partial tranny fluid change, @ 184K miles LOL!

Thanks for the detailed write up! I plan on doing the same after I figure out my AC issues

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Do all/some of the 2015 Pilots come with a factory OTW tranny cooler in the cold radiator tank?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Do all/some of the 2015 Pilots come with a factory OTW tranny cooler in the cold radiator tank?
Looking a photos of 2015 radiators on RockAuto, the ATF ports are still present.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
So, that would mean both FWD and AWD get a factory OTW cooler and AWD get a factory OTA cooler as well.....but OTA cooler can be add to FWD as an available accessory?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
So, that would mean both FWD and AWD get a factory OTW cooler and AWD get a factory OTA cooler as well.....but OTA cooler can be add to FWD as an available accessory?
Correct.
No difference in the radiators.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We just got back from Walmart- among other things I got another Gallon of the MaxLife ATF- ~ $ 17.40/gallon! Less than 4.50 a Qt.
Just checked to level again when we got home. Still slightly low, or just a hair below the low mark. Looks relatively clean for only having 1 d/f (4 qts went in), in 184K miles! Tranny has always worked great too.
So, I plan to drain it ( I hear about 3.5ish comes out? And putting the whole 4 qts back in too.

I'm plan to do this soon too, to out new to us 2015, 4WD too.- 64.5K mi on it.

Based on my research, I WILL use the Honda fluid for the rear end though.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
We just got back from Walmart- among other things I got another Gallon of the MaxLife ATF- ~ $ 17.40/gallon! Less than 4.50 a Qt.
Just checked to level again when we got home. Still slightly low, or just a hair below the low mark. Looks relatively clean for only having 1 d/f (4 qts went in), in 184K miles! Tranny has always worked great too.
So, I plan to drain it ( I hear about 3.5ish comes out? And putting the whole 4 qts back in too.

I'm plan to do this soon too, to out new to us 2015, 4WD too.- 64.5K mi on it.

If you jack up the drivers side rear while on level ground, you can drain out 4qt if you let it drip until it stops.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
(y)

That is correct. Only Honda VTM-4 fluid.

You're well on your way to becoming a Pilot fluid ninja. :)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
(y)

That is correct. Only Honda VTM-4 fluid.

You're well on your way to becoming a Pilot fluid ninja. :)

Well, Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment! LOL:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts