Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just chiming in on other post I have read about third gen issues with transmission and ride.
I just bought a (2 weeks ago, end of December 2020) '19 EX CPO, 24K miles on it, from a dealer. Everything so far so good, EXCEPT, there is the jerking when the car is downshifting that many have mentioned. It happens between 25 and 15 MPH, either in Econ or regular mode. This actually jerking is actually causing my car to really come to a stop, fast for example, if i am coasting to a red light. I thought this might be part of a honda thing to protect the brakes, but then again I have no idea
The other issue is the ride. It seems like a every bump and road imperfection is felt and heard more than it should. I have read that this is an issue with pilots, that there suspension systems are very tight. I asked the service technician at the dealer, they said it usually gets better in warmer weather as things loosen up (I live in New England). My only concern is the obvious, I can live with the ride being bumpy on a bigger SUV but concerned that this is might cause future damage and other issue with the car.
Fixes on both issues I have read. The transmission issue, the software update (though I assume that was done when I bought car) and the suspension, getting bigger tires. Has anyone tried these? or are these two issues something I just will have to get used of and live with?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
That jerk when slowing also happens at 40 mph. This is a lovely characteristic of the 3rd Gen and is normal. You mentioned a software update. I'm assuming your talking about the torque converter clutch lock issue? I'm not sure that this was a big concern on 2019 models, but I wouldn't hesitate to install a VCM disabling device.
I'm unfamiliar with a rough riding Pilot unless someone put a truck tire on your vehicle, like Michelin Defender LTX or low profile tires.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
When I disabled the VCM, the jerky downshifts were gone. You still feel the downshifts as you would expect but the car coasts down normally from 40 mph without the excessive engine braking effect from the VCM. I would not hesitate to install a VCM disabler again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That jerk when slowing also happens at 40 mph. This is a lovely characteristic of the 3rd Gen and is normal. You mentioned a software update. I'm assuming your talking about the torque converter clutch lock issue? I'm not sure that this was a big concern on 2019 models, but I wouldn't hesitate to install a VCM disabling device.
I'm unfamiliar with a rough riding Pilot unless someone put a truck tire on your vehicle, like Michelin Defender LTX or low profile tires.
Thanks for the reply!
On the ride, i noticed when I got the vehicle from Honda dealership they set my tires (which are correct size and bridgestone) at 35 PSI, they said being winter that all honda dealers will set tires at this PSI. This is so when its cold the tires will shrink poundages and this will prevent the PSI alarm from not going off.The recommended PSI on the driver side door is 32 PSI. Would this have anything to do with he rough ride. I have read in some other threads that higher tire pressure can cause the vehicle to take hard rides over bumps.
I also heard that getting bigger tires might help, though not sure if that is even possible

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
On the ride, i noticed when I got the vehicle from Honda dealership they set my tires (which are correct size and bridgestone) at 35 PSI, they said being winter that all honda dealers will set tires at this PSI. This is so when its cold the tires will shrink poundages and this will prevent the PSI alarm from not going off.The recommended PSI on the driver side door is 32 PSI. Would this have anything to do with he rough ride. I have read in some other threads that higher tire pressure can cause the vehicle to take hard rides over bumps.
I also heard that getting bigger tires might help, though not sure if that is even possible
If your tires are factory Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS, size 245 60R18, having them inflated to 35 psi is the safe thing to do, because these tires will roll over on the sidewall in higher speed turns. But yes, theoretically, more inflation equals rough ride.The colder weather causing the increased air density in your tires would make for a rougher ride.
Me personally, I'd replace those factory tires ASAP.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
When I disabled the VCM, the jerky downshifts were gone. You still feel the downshifts as you would expect but the car coasts down normally from 40 mph without the excessive engine braking effect from the VCM. I would not hesitate to install a VCM disabler again.
Is the excessive engine braking really from the VCM?
I've noticed it and at times it feels like I'm dragging an anchor even at 38psi in the stock Continentals.

Wouldn't that decrease gas mileage instead of increase????

·
Registered
857 Posts
Is the excessive engine braking really from the VCM?
I've noticed it and at times it feels like I'm dragging an anchor even at 38psi in the stock Continentals.

Wouldn't that decrease gas mileage instead of increase????
In my case, as soon as I disabled the VCM, the car coasted like a normal full sized vehicle should when in Drive. I would think that the excess engine braking would reduce gas mileage too. Pop the transmission into neutral and see what happens when you are coasting downhill. After disabling the VCM, my fuel mileage only went down about 1 mpg in mixed driving so it's not a big factor.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
In my case, as soon as I disabled the VCM, the car coasted like a normal full sized vehicle should when in Drive. I would think that the excess engine braking would reduce gas mileage too. Pop the transmission into neutral and see what happens when you are coasting downhill. After disabling the VCM, my fuel mileage only went down about 1 mpg in mixed driving so it's not a big factor.
Good call on popping into neutral, I'll try that tomorrow.
The engine braking is something that I've found annoying and has always been in the back in my mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am glad there is lots of discussion on this VCM idea maybe causing the jerkiness if almost feeling like the car is braking on its own when decelerating. Its become such an annoyance and almost a safety issue, almost three weeks into owning my CPO 2019 EX. Not being the most mechanically incline and not really wanting to mess with anything under the hood, I am not really wanting to install a VCM blocker, even though i am sure its very easy for most of you to do.
Has anyone tried to reach out to Honda itself about this issue? The dealer I bought the car from I asked there thoughts, they did not have much of an answer! so its getting me to think this is a factory glitch and Honda is not about it. What are the far chances this could be a recall thing in the future? which i am sure will never happen considering the cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: the ride... I have an 18', owned since new, and live in Boston area. The ride is MUCH nicer in summer... the difference is dramatic, but summer is only 2 or 3 months here. I have original tires and will try a softer tire when I replace my current set. I have not yet tried lowering my tire pressure.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I am glad there is lots of discussion on this VCM idea maybe causing the jerkiness if almost feeling like the car is braking on its own when decelerating. Its become such an annoyance and almost a safety issue, almost three weeks into owning my CPO 2019 EX. Not being the most mechanically incline and not really wanting to mess with anything under the hood, I am not really wanting to install a VCM blocker, even though i am sure its very easy for most of you to do.
Has anyone tried to reach out to Honda itself about this issue? The dealer I bought the car from I asked there thoughts, they did not have much of an answer! so its getting me to think this is a factory glitch and Honda is not about it. What are the far chances this could be a recall thing in the future? which i am sure will never happen considering the cost.
My take... It's not a glitch.
Cold weather, non full synthetic DW-1 ATF and an active VCM. IMO, this is the cause. Nothing can be done about the cold. Has the ATF been changed? There are videos on YouTube that can walk you through the easy install of a VCM disabling device.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would not hesitate to install VCM disabler. It was the best accessory I have installed on the vehicle. Honda knows about the transmission issues with the VCM and they have issued a number of service bulletins to deal with the symptoms but the only real cure at this point is to disable the VCM

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks again for the responses,
Would the VCM install effect the warranty on the car if this for some reason causes other issues
Any aftermarket accessory may affect a warranty claim so just remove it before going to the dealership to avoid questions. It only takes 5mins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes that makes too much sense! thank you,
what is the brand or link for the VCM disabler that is the best to purchase, if you have that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts