Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

19 Pilot Touring its a Lemon!

14154 25
Anyone else with these problems?! 2 weeks into ownership, No audio connection messages on radio screen. Then no FM connection. Network communication lost. Then black screens. Also lost digital instrument cluster, all happend several times, not to mention horrible Bluetooth sound quality! Its a big problem for me when my 2 year old is in the car and my wife is telling me that she has no gauges and screens. Its been 5 Times back to dealership. The radio, cluster, tuner, head unit, and the biggest, the entire body harness! Still not fixed. Just got message again last week. Honda North America is telling me its a software issue with 3rd party suppliers of infotainment system with NO CURRENT FIX!! I have been a technician for 12 years, I imagine this is a bigger issue than Honda leading me to believe. I see many others having issues with rebooting, blank screens and im sure more cases will pop up. Im done with this car. Dealership is telling me they cant give me another car without 5-6k out of pocket due to depreciation. What BS. Talking with lemon law lawyer today
Reactions: Buckb1256
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Anyone else with these problems?! 2 weeks into ownership, No audio connection messages on radio screen. Then no FM connection. Network communication lost. Then black screens. Also lost digital instrument cluster, all happend several times, not to mention horrible Bluetooth sound quality! Its a big problem for me when my 2 year old is in the car and my wife is telling me that she has no gauges and screens. Its been 5 Times back to dealership. The radio, cluster, tuner, head unit, and the biggest, the entire body harness! Still not fixed. Just got message again last week. Honda North America is telling me its a software issue with 3rd party suppliers of infotainment system with NO CURRENT FIX!! I have been a technician for 12 years, I imagine this is a bigger issue than Honda leading me to believe. I see many others having issues with rebooting, blank screens and im sure more cases will pop up. Im done with this car. Dealership is telling me they cant give me another car without 5-6k out of pocket due to depreciation. What BS. Talking with lemon law lawyer today
That's a crappy situation. I'd be there daily putting up a fight until they gave me my money back. Sad you have only had it 2 weeks and its depreciated 5-6k. This is one big reason even after I'm a millionaire, I'll never buy new cars. Average depreciation in the first 2 years is $10500. And then this kind of crap where you just bought the damn thing and its obviously a friday before a holiday weekend car with a bunch of bugs.

Reactions: SGM

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Welcome to owning a Honda product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Nick128, I purchased one of those 2019 Honda pilot lemons too! Your story is the closest to mine. Same fix process. Completely strip the inside of the Pilot from dash to tailgate including chairs, panels, carpet ... to change the km of wires hidden beneath(have pics). They changed the Tuner which is located at the back and the Instrument cluster which apparently is the brains of the audio/nav/screen. The second time the Pilot went in they had it for a month!! Pretty much for the month of january. When I went to pick it up the screen was actually detached from dash by a solid half inch(have pics) and no one at the dealership even noticed even though the big wigs went for a test drive before giving it back to me. Which leads me to think if this is the way they work, what condition is the new wiring harness in, were the seats fastened properly, premature rattling....I brought it back in this week so some panels that were scratched during the work could be replaced. That too was a nightmare as things were not clipped properly and I had to leave the vehicle one more day. I do not want this Lemon anymore, I bought a brand new loaded Honda Pilot for long term peace if mind. Now I am filled with doubt, anxiety and anger! Honda corporate is being a pain in the a-- as well with the bull the mediator is spewing such as, 'we have complete confidence in our dealerships'. What a load of hogwash!

Watch the videos in order to understand what happens:

Video1A: https://youtu.be/xtB0YSUksnA

Video1B: https://youtu.be/_f3ckCo32oM

Video 1C: https://youtu.be/K-v4f1BipUE

Video2: https://youtu.be/E_Wgs6T-3M0

Video3:
https://youtu.be/ddPEU_j57V8

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, thats exactly my situation to the T. I can't get a straight answer from Honda. You need to talk to a Lemon law attorney. The dealer and tech support are no help out of the car. The dealer is not willing to take a loss and pay for a car they didn't build, can you blame them? The laws are different in each state. Who knows if another new pilot will have the same bugs. We are at a loss either way. Maybe I should just run to a Lexus dealership instead!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stay clear of Honda Pilot and Odyssey, there is a lawsuit, see link below. I've been living a nightmare. Honda had my Pilot for over a month and completely and I mean completely stripped the inside to change the wiring harnesses. I have made trips back to Honda to get damaged panels changed. Yesterday I noticed a connector was loose for my panoramic roof visor, so it doesn't work. They told me they took the whole ceiling Panel off too while they had it!!!! I was made to believe I was a rare case, but please click on the link below and you will see that this is a HUGE HONDA COVERUP! Maybe this link will help you. Just received it today. This link proves that this is a mass problem with the Pilot and the Odyssey!!!!
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/...ium=email&utm_campaign=20190322-honda-lawsuit

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
And to think that my wife just tried to throw out all my old cassette tapes! My 2003 entertainment system works just fine with tapes or CDs. And the dash has real gauges with actual needles to indicate speed or rpm. Forgive me for a little old-timer snark. I am paying in other ways, with body rust and a worn out suspension. Perhaps the shift to Lexus is not a bad idea for a new vehicle. My personal experience with Toyota vehicles has been very positive. I love old Hondas, but some of their newer designs seem to have problems.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Once My 2015 dies ..since I finally paid it off ... I'm moving away from Honda all together ...unless I find a nice ok miles Gen 1 Pilot ..they are built like Tanks...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello fellow Pilot people. My wife just bought a 2019 touring and we brought it home last night. All went well. After she got off work today the infotainment system started to act up and was doing strnage things. now I was not there. However, not what you want out of a new car with 16 miles on it. We live in Md and I know the lemon laws here are pretty strong. The finance guy said if you have the car fixed for 3 things I think they have to buy it back or give us a new car. So we will see. After the car sat tonight for a bit it seamed to come back to its happy new car self. But after reading your post on here I am a bit worried. The dealer was great and we got a great price. Now to see if they back up what they said during the sales pitch.

Keep you posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update. Picking up from latest dealer visit. STILL NO FIX FOR ISSUE. Wtf is Honda doing. Maybe they fired the engineering dept. Or did they ever even have one? My guess is no. I had latest recall for timing belt inspection completed. Passed that inspection. Yay. Wife reluctant to drive car. Now we have rattles over bumps from car being gutted for wire harness/everything replacement. Honda dragging feet in lemon process. I will not take any financial loss over this so im forced to ride it out, and I will for as long as it takes. It amazes me that they are STILL SELLING THESE knowing they have massive problems. Fraudulent. It is out of my hands now and up to my Legal team.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am having this issue as well on my 2019 elite purchased just over two weeks ago - first occurrence at 119 miles . I was really hoping this was a software issue that could be fixed via update, or that a simple DIY would get the job done, but it seems like it truly is a manufacturing defect. Tonight, I found this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10155369-0001.pdf. Looks like a MOST Bus issue, with connectors. Funny though, multiple instances on this forum state how replacement of harnesses has not fixed the issue. I REALLY do not want to have my $50K car's interior ripped out, especially multiple times (3 for lemon law), but if that's my only recourse to get the vehicle replaced or be refunded, I guess that's it. Shame...I really like this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
So what was the fix for it?

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Does this problem exist on the EX-L models as well? I would think so, but it appeared most who posted owned the Touring or Elite models. Been thinking of buying a new EX-L model, but this is very concerning. We currently drive a 2010 Touring, which has been great, except for the VCM problem which stopped after installing one of the wire harness fixes. I just wanted to avoid the 9 spd transmission and Start/Stop on the top models this time, but it sounds like this infotainment may be a show stopper!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update. Picking up from latest dealer visit. STILL NO FIX FOR ISSUE.<snip>
It amazes me that they are STILL SELLING THESE knowing they have massive problems. Fraudulent. It is out of my hands now and up to my Legal team.
Nick,
(1) Are you saying you have joined the Class action lawsuit against Honda?
(2) Consumer protection laws vary from state to state. Which state do you live in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Nick128 what did you end up doing? I am having this exact same issue...
And dealership has no clue how to fix. They have had my Pilot for 15 days and counting with no fix or end in sight. I am trying to decide what to do now. Class action or hire an attorney etc

1 - 20 of 26 Posts