Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the Pilot for a year now and did my first oil change, total miles driven, 4050 :) Decided to do it myself and I made a mess with the crappy position of the oil filter and the crappy oil filler area. Here are some tips if you decide to do your own oil change/tire rotation.

I used the Walmart plastic ramps and they worked fine. 1st Tip, ensure you have some one guide you up the ramps and chock the rear wheels when you are on the ramps. I put the parking brake on as well. Ensure you are on a level surface.

The oil drain plug is fairly easy to remove and I drained the oil into a large 15 gallon Walmart oil container. Walmart also will take your used oil/filter for free.

The oil filter is a PITA to get to the filter. Some say to turn the right wheel to the right but you can't do that if you use ramps. Use large pliers or one that has a rubber tightening strap. Tip, before you unscrew the oil filter, place a 1 gallon ziploc bag and cover the filter, which equals no mess. Just make sure the oil is not that hot.

Filling the oil: This is where I made a mess, ensure you have one large funnel that fit into the small oil cap area. And DO NOT over pour. Its hard with the five gallon oil jug. Recommendation is to buy a plastic container and pour a quart in at a time, then pour very slowly in the oil filler area. The 19 Pilot takes 5.7 quarts of full synthetic with the oil filter. I used Mobil-1 oil and filter. I put 5 quarts in and then I checked the oil dipstick, then added until it was full.

Rotating tires required one 3 ton jack (I am sure you can use a smaller one but the three ton works well, make sure you get a high lift one and not a low profile jack as the low profile jacks don't go as high. I also used jack stands just to be safe. No tips on this, other than I wash both the inside and outside of the tires with fresh soap/water. I also check for any nails, screws, and abnormal wear on the tires. Tip here, use a magic eraser pad on the wheels to get any grime, ect from the wheels. You can also put wax or polish on the wheels after they are cleaned/dried, this makes them easier to clean for future washing. Amazon sells wheel wax ($18.95) which is amazing wax for the wheels.

I then clean the wheel wells of dirt/debris. Place both tires back on and they look good as new. After driving a few miles, ensure you check all lug nuts again.

And there you have it, I think I spent more on my first oil change, but I know its being done properly. Next oil change should be cheaper. I change my oil and rotate my tires once per year. Cheers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts