Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a relatively inexpensive set of 18x7.5" wheels with an offset of +42 with Kumho Ecsta STX tires in the size 255/55/18. This setup fills out the wheel wells perfectly without sticking out. There are absolutely no rubbing issues and the handling is so much nicer. The tires do make a little bit more noise than the stock Goodyears but the tradeoff is well worth it. If I could do it again, I would suggest you to go with an 8" wheel for a better tire to wheel fitment.

My upgrades so far after picking up the Pilot in just a little less than 4 weeks ago are:

1) Window tinting all the windows except the windshield with Huper Optik Ceramic film. I used the 30% shade on the rear 3 cargo windows. 40% on the rear doors and 50% on the front doors.

2) Removed the Pilot badge from the rear hatch.

3) Installed 18x7.5" wheels with 255/55/18 tires.

4) Used one of my full size wheels and mounted it in my spare tire compartment. (Can't imagine rolling around on a donut if I ever get a flat)

5) Installed 2 custom stainless steel exhaust tips.

6) Next upgrade will probably be the step rail or running board. Still trying to decide. Which do you think would look better on my wife's car?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Two Thumbs Up!!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Nice look. I noticed the exhaust tips in another post. They look great. Where did you get them, and how do they mount?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've got 255s on mine as well. Onew thing you'll notice is that you will get a lot more debirs hitting the side of your truck than with the 235s.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That is AWESOME looking!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

How about a shot from the front and back to see how W I D E those tires are. :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
SWEEEEET!!!:cool:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Litespeeds said:
4) Used one of my full size wheels and mounted it in my spare tire compartment. (Can't imagine rolling around on a donut if I ever get a flat)
Is that one of your OEM 16" tires? How would that handle with 3 other 18" tires?

6) Next upgrade will probably be the step rail or running board. Still trying to decide. Which do you think would look better on my wife's car?
The side steps definitely look better (and stay cleaner) than the running boards, IMO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
krygny,
Yes I am using one of my factory 16x6.5" EX wheel with Goodyear Integrity 235/70/16 tires as my spare now. As you can see, it fits perfectly in the spare tire compartment and just sticks down a little. Looks kind of sporty if you ask me.
As for the difference in wheels sizes, it does not matter. Just because I increased the size of my wheels to 18's", I chose a tire that is of the same diameter as the stock tires. If you calculate the actual diameter of a 235/70/16 tire, it is at 28.953". The diameter of the new tire 255/55/18 is at 29.043". That only makes a difference of .09". Not even 1/10th of an inch larger.
As for handling, I am sure that the full size tire is going to handle ALOT better than that small donut spare tire. As with anything, you should get the flat fixed asap and use the spare tire as a temporary.
For many people, I don't think they are going to upgrade their wheels so this is the best chance to pick up the same wheel/tire at a very cheap price so that they can have a full size spare. This way they don't have to fix the flat asap and can ride on a matching wheel and tire.
Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Litespeeds said:
krygny,...
Hope this answers your question.
Yes, thank you - I should have known. I always get confused at all tis "tire stuff". Every time I get to thinking about tires, I always have to re-read the explanations of the dimensions that are used to size tires. To make matters worse, it's all metric.:3:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Great look Litespeeds! Is the +42 the recommended offset for the Pilot? I know it's +42 to +45 for my Civic, I bought a +38 offset aftermarket wheel and although it did not stick out beyond the wheel well I do have some rubbing problem when I hit a bump. I don't want to repeat the same on the pilot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There should be no rubbing issues with our Pilots as the car has a very large fender gap. As long as the tire does not exceed 1" larger than stock, you should be fine. The stock tire diameter is right around 29". As for offsets, it really depends upon what size tires you are going to put on what size wheels. I put the largest size tire that is recommended for that size rim so that I get extra protection from the curbs for my wife. If it were my car, I would probably try to fit a 8 1/2" or 9" wide wheel to stretch out the tire so that the handling will be more precise because of less tire movement from side to side on the rim.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wheels look great! What brand are they?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Tbird said:
Wheels look great! What brand are they?
Sorry, can't help you on the brand of the wheels - but noticed this was your first post and that you are from Colorado! Welcome aboard!!

Where at in Colorado and where did you buy your Pilot?

:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello New World!

I'm obviously a primo neophyte, so I thought I'd jump into this thread because I've been obsessing about wheels for weeks!

First, let me say I can't describe how much info I've sponged off this site; you guys are awesome! :6:

Kemosabe great gallery-hope to be in it soon. I'm digging Borg's wheels. And Litespeeds, great post on wheels - has been really really helpful.

Okay, :blahblah: right? I'm waiting for my 2004 white EXL-Nav supposedly built 8/22! I have been planning this purchase for about a year now....had to wait for the old lease to end. Now purchasing (vs leasing) so I can express myself - first stop - New Wheels!

Question: I'm eyeballing some TSW Q5's. These wheels are sized 18x9. Per the website, they fit the Pilot. Do you think the 9" will cause problems? Will they stick out of the well? Also, I'm on the fence about silver versus chrome. Want some snaz to the while Pilot, but don't want to look ridiculous. I've been reading the posts, so I know there are opinions out there! Give'm to me!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
NYGAgirl:
Go for it, TSW Q5 wheels on a Pilot would look awesome & you can't go wrong with either silver or chrome.
I'm not an expert in this field so I cant offer any insight as to whether 9" wheels will cause any problems but Litespeeds seems to know a lot about this subject matter & he indicated in an earlier post that if it were his car he would have tried to fit an 8 1/2" or 9" on his wife's Pilot so I would think that it would be OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The offset on the stock 16x6.5 rims is +45. What this tells me is there is an outer width of 1.48" and inner width of 5.02".
The wheels that I got for my wife's Pilot is 18x7.5" +42. This has an outer width of 2.10" and inner width of 5.40". By looking at the clearance from the rim as well as the tire, it looks like I still have about another 1/2" inside clearance and another 1" outside clearance without rubbing issues and sticking out past the wheel wells.
The TSW wheel is 18x9 with a +35 offset. This will have an outer width of 3.12" and inner width of 5.88". With a 255/55/18 tire stretched onto the 9" wheel, it should technically fit perfect. You might notice a slight bulge from the tire which might stick out a little past the fender wells but it should look almost perfect.
I will do a double take on the front and rear wheel/tire clearance on our Pilot to see if the wheel should clear or not. Worse case scenario is you will need a small 1/4" spacer if it is too far in. SUV's look ok with the tire just a little bit past the fender wells but that is something that I would not prefer.
Go for it and tell us how much the wheels are and how the fitment is. You can be the test subject on this one.:2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bought the wheels!

Thanks Borg and Litespeeds. I got an extra smile out of Borg's photo - I love these wheels!! There is a place in Atlanta called Butler Tire, and they specialize in custom wheels. I went this weekend, and the tech actually installed the Q5's in chrome on a black pilot not too long ago. Said they looked great and showed me the digital photo they shot. Sharp I must say! Finally, my days of wheel agony are over!

I elected to go with the machined finish.... I knew they would look good, and was afraid the chrome would be overwhelming - for my personal statement anyway. They had 4 in stock so I got 'em!

The same day, the dealer called to tell me my ride shipped from CAN and is on its way to Hotlanta!! Wooo-hoooo!!:2: Expected delivery Sept. 9th! Got those wheels in the nick of time by golly!

I will post photos, and VIN, and all that stuff when I get it. Yipeee for me!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Bought the wheels!

NYGAgirl said:
Thanks Borg and Litespeeds. I got an extra smile out of Borg's photo - I love these wheels!! There is a place in Atlanta called Butler Tire, and they specialize in custom wheels. I went this weekend, and the tech actually installed the Q5's in chrome on a black pilot not too long ago. Said they looked great and showed me the digital photo they shot. Sharp I must say! Finally, my days of wheel agony are over!

I elected to go with the machined finish.... I knew they would look good, and was afraid the chrome would be overwhelming - for my personal statement anyway. They had 4 in stock so I got 'em!

The same day, the dealer called to tell me my ride shipped from CAN and is on its way to Hotlanta!! Wooo-hoooo!!:2: Expected delivery Sept. 9th! Got those wheels in the nick of time by golly!

I will post photos, and VIN, and all that stuff when I get it. Yipeee for me!
Congrats. Looking forward to the pics.:18:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Re: 18" wheels with 255/55/18 tires just installed

colorider said:

Sorry, can't help you on the brand of the wheels - but noticed this was your first post and that you are from Colorado! Welcome aboard!!

Where at in Colorado and where did you buy your Pilot?

:)
Just picked up new ride on Sat in KC as deal was about $1500 better than local (Denver/Colorado Springs) dealers would do. We really like it and the added space as this replaced a Saab 9-5SE.

Still would like to know what the wheels are on Litespeeds!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Litespeeds,

I have a limited knowledge of tires, so I don't understand how a 255/55/18 tire can fit onto a 7. 8 or even 0 inch rim. Certainly, there must be some effect of putting th tire on rims that are narrow vs. wide. Can you explain how the tires fit and what performance effects the different rim widths have on the tires.

Thanks for your help.

BTW - the tires and rims look great!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts