Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using 42700-TK8-A01 (17" steel wheel) on my 2017 Pilot (for my winter wheels). At present, the center bolt is exposed. Where can I find a center cap for these wheel?

If not a center cap, where can I get a hub cap or whatever those discs are called that go over a steel wheel?

Just looking for some protective covering for the center bolt.

Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The page you gave also has a link to check the part if it fits. I searched for 2015 Odyssey LX and it says it does not fit.

Note that the wheel specified in the subject line fits 2015 Odyssey LX (in Honda's records, but I know that it also fits 2017 Pilot). However, the center caps page says 44732-SJC-A01 does not fit the Odyssey. What am I missing?

·
Registered
258 Posts
The Honda steel rim center caps are more than a cosmetic accessory. They will prevent the axle stub, nut, splines and bearings from being exposed to road-borne water, salt and dirt. They are not optional in my humble opinion. To answer your question another way, why do you suppose police and other public service vehicles use center caps on their steel rims? They wouldn’t omit them if they thought they serve a good purpose.

·
Administrator
15,577 Posts
The page you gave also has a link to check the part if it fits. I searched for 2015 Odyssey LX and it says it does not fit.

Note that the wheel specified in the subject line fits 2015 Odyssey LX (in Honda's records, but I know that it also fits 2017 Pilot). However, the center caps page says 44732-SJC-A01 does not fit the Odyssey. What am I missing?
I just assumed you were using the Pilot steel 17 inch wheel that was shared with the Ridgeline. Can't off the top of my head even recall seeing an Ody with steel wheels...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just assumed you were using the Pilot steel 17 inch wheel that was shared with the Ridgeline. Can't off the top of my head even recall seeing an Ody with steel wheels...
In most of Canada where sub-freezing temperatures are with us throughout the winter months, most drivers have a set of steel rims shod with winter tires. They are often purchased as part of a new vehicle order. We use steel rims because they stand up better to the road salt used in many regions.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the following are supposed to fit the 17" steel wheels:
44733-TK8-A10 (https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/oem-parts/honda-trim-wheel-17x7j-44733tk8a10)

Would I be correct in assuming that I buy these covers and just put them on the steel wheels on my pilot and secure them with wheel lug nuts?

In other words, from the perspective of the above covers, everything should be the same, regardless of the vehicle on which the wheels are installed?

·
Administrator
15,577 Posts
Those are wheel covers that should work well. They press fit using tension on the wheel rim-see the tabs in the image.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Be careful if you use full hubcaps that cover the rim. They might not let enough air move through the rotor and caliper to dissipate enough heat when the weather warms up. Aluminum rims for the other 3 seasons also help because they can sink more of that heat.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are wheel covers that should work well. They press fit using tension on the wheel rim-see the tabs in the image.
Do I need different lug nuts if I am using wheel covers on the steel wheels?

At present I am using the stock lug nuts that came with the alloy wheels on the Pilot.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do I need different lug nuts if I am using wheel covers on the steel wheels?

At present I am using the stock lug nuts that came with the alloy wheels on the Pilot.
Just to close this thread, the wheel covers for Odyssey (the steels wheels mentioned here are for Odyssey) fit the wheel on my Pilot fine. I used the stock lug nuts that came with the Pilot. However, had to use the washers that the covers need. The covers and the washers are both Odyssey parts and are not listed for current gen Pilots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts