Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Pilot has some fine white smoke coming out of the engine, almost like cigarette smoke. Just about 48K miles.

Does any one know what this could be?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,877 Posts
Well since there is no good news here do you want the bad news first or the really bad news?

In order of bad to worse.

Faulty Coolant Container/Tank

Bad EGR Cooler

Faulty Fuel Injectors

Oil Leakage

Bad Head Gasket/Cracked Cylinder Head

If the smoke has a sweet smell/taste it's a coolant issue of some kind. If not then look at the injectors or an oil leak (ring job)

Good luck. Hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Administrator
4,877 Posts
Wait - who is tasting the exhaust smoke? View attachment 137341
Anyone who has spent much time around vehicles working on them. You don't have to suck on the tail pipe like it was your last doobie, but if you can stand there and smell the smoke you will get a slight taste in your mouth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep I get what you are saying - just unusual to see taste as a vehicle problem diagnosis. Plus any chance to sneak in a Step Brothers reference I'll take it - Classic movie!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
UPDATE: The A/C went out now - dealer is saying they refilled it and good to go. They said that the "white smoke" was probably AC coolant leaking.

They are rechecking it tomorrow to see if it leaked again..

OK, update 2: the dealer said it was a likely stuck sensor/ valve which went away on its own.

They did recharge it for free because they say their tech may have left the valve open when he checked it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can tell you as an HVAC professional, refrigerant leaks will never fix themselves. So either they found it and fixed it since it was something that failed that they didn't want to admit or you got a technician who literally has no idea what he is doing. R1234yf costs close to $100 a lb. The pilot holds roughly 1.5 lbs. My question is how close to 3 years old is your pilot because I'd wager they are trying to get away with a $150 refrigerant recharge, hoping it gets you through the 3 year warranty, than fix whatever is actually leaking since it will be significantly more expensive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, it seems like the air is not blowing as cold again.
I will check the TSB and ask them about the issue that doa165 brought up (especially because most dealers seem to take the easiest path usually!)

·
Administrator
4,877 Posts
If you have white smoke as a result of a cooling system then you have a cooling system problem. The only way it will go away is to have the system throughly checked and the proper repairs made. They will not heal themselves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Makes sense, its common all around the HVAC trade, guys either can't or don't want to find the leak and they will refill it and hope the leak is small enough for it to last for a while so they can blame something else later. It's likely the condenser, if its not related to the TSB then you might have taken a rock to it since its a micro channel aluminum coil they crack pretty easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts