Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
You might also want to check with Carvana to see if they would cover the cost of the transmission fluid exchange and update of the system. I have read some comments when checking Carvana of new owners being able to get some repair money from them rather than returning the vehicle. I would think Honda may charge around $300.00-$400.00 for that?

You would be able to tell immediately if it worked from what others have said and then decide if you wanted to keep it or not if it didn't work. Just make sure that Carvana if they do front any repair money knows if it doesn't fix it, you may be returning it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I checked with them (carvana) yesterday after I found this thread. They are making me go through their warranty provider who is really only going to pay up if the dealership can prove the problem. That is pointless because it will be covered under my 60k so if the dealership is able to prove it, they can just charge Honda.

I am going to keep the car because my wife really likes it and we have not heard a lot of greats things about the 9-speed trans. We just decided we will fix it when they judder becomes an avoidable problem. Until then we'll just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have some good news which I am hoping helps others that find this thread. I ended up going to my mechanic who saw the judder first hand. He saw the rpm meter needle swing back and forth, felt the surging etc. he recommended a simple trans fluid change which we did. Including labor the price was $80 and it completely resolved the issue. The trans runs really well and shifts are smooth.

So in case your dealer service center doesn’t pay for it up front, you might want to just change the trans fluid instead of putting up with the bs judder.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have some good news which I am hoping helps others that find this thread. I ended up going to my mechanic who saw the judder first hand. He saw the rpm meter needle swing back and forth, felt the surging etc. he recommended a simple trans fluid change which we did. Including labor the price was $80 and it completely resolved the issue. The trans runs really well and shifts are smooth.

So in case your dealer service center doesn’t pay for it up front, you might want to just change the trans fluid instead of putting up with the bs judder.
Good news that changing the tranny fluid solved the problem. But as part of the TSB Honda is suppose to update the torque converter software as well so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dealer who has completely shattered my trust in them just recently by trying to WAY overcharge for a simple backup camera repair, called this the "honda rubber band effect" and that the car is designed to do it and it's totally normal lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just took my car in for this problem. They said transmission fluid is supposed to be changed every 30k miles. I asked them to show in the manual. Which she couldnt find. She tried to find it online, but couldnt. I obviously got a very rude person and we will see what happens after they hook it up to the diagnosis machine. I wish I had the time to run it to another dealer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

81 - 89 of 89 Posts