Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone, I have been having this issue for at least 2 years and have had it into the dealership for them to try to replicate and fix probably 4 times to no avail. I remember them taking it the last time and replacing the CV rockers (I might have that a bit wrong, but it was rockers). I think this thread is what I need to do to get it fixed for good. Only issue, i'm in Canada. Has anyone seen the TSB for the judder fix from Honda Canada? Or had success with taking the US TSB to their Canadian dealer?
Thanks!

Anyone from Canada have this issue and success with any TSB's?? Honda Canada won't honor the TSB from Honda in the US.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK Guys! I finally got a Honda service person to feel the surges on acceleration. They agreed that it was an issue and one technician said he was familiar with the Service Bulletin and that it should fix it. They performed the service and IT IS FIXED!!!! I am so happy. Also, they did not charge me anything. If you have this like the video of the original poster then this will fix it! My Pilot is a 2017 EX-L with RES 6 speed transmission with the shifter.
I have been having this exact issue on my 2016 pilot with 66,000 mi. i took the service bulletin to my local dealer where i bought the car brand new. They told me the warranty was 5yrs/60,000 mi and no part of the service or upgrade would be covered under warranty. Cost for me to do the upgrade $59 plus $240 for the fluid "flush".
i called another dealer who said the entire procedure was covered under warranty for 8yr/80,000mi. Guess where i am taking it, and where i will buy the next car!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Guys,
VERY occasional lurker on this forum. Just saw this post and wanted to write. My 2016 had this problem as well - nearly from day one I think?
I had this same exact issue (2016 Honda Pilot) since pretty much after receiving the car. At 35k miles I finally took it in. The techs identified TSB 17-014 (which I have uploaded here for you to check out: http://freepdfhosting.com/a9655873fe.pdf) and this fixed my issue. My car no longer "jidders" as they call it. "Judder from the Torque Converter lock-up clutch". they flush your transmission fluid three times! I feel lucky that my dealership found this on their own and gave me no hassles for this free service.
Here is a YouTube video that someone shot demonstrating the same(?) issue:

Good Luck,
Brad

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also have been a lurker here for a while, but this thread helped me fix mine as well. Mine would judder it what seemed third gear, took it in and they flushed the transmission fluid under this TSB. They told me they also found a leaking switch for 2nd gear, I believe? They replaced that and also updated the software. Thanks all!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anyone else experience the following:
I have an appointment at the dealer soon, but I'll be shocked if they can replicate it.
Going up a hill is the easiest way to replicate, but it happens on flat land as well.
Eco mode reproduces it easier.
If I press the gas pedal down 1/4 or less then the car hesitates.
It almost feels like the RPMs are in stages instead of smooth.
I can see the RPM needle jumping up and down.
Very similar to this complaint on the following video of a 2016 Honda Pilot:

Hello, This is a KNOWN issue with PILOTS and there is a TSB that identifies the fix. It is a two step fix - 1. Flush transmission fluid X3 and 2. Reprogram the computer. In addition, here is a short document detailing how to search for other issues.. Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Funny enough, the problem had gone away after they did the transmission fluid replacement and update, but it was coming back.
The last two days I just discovered a problem with the oil pressure switch using a OBD2 reader (BTW, BlueDriver is awesome for $99), so I replaced the pilot pressure switch for the code that that BlueDriver read and my '16 Pilot drives like a dream! The hesitation is completely gone again, but this time without the tyranny fluid change.
I'm wondering long this oil pressure switch has been broken for.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well funny enough this bug has hit me as well with 66K on the odometer. Will be taking it in on Wednesday to my local dealer that I have worked with extensively over the last 15 years. He said it also might be the fuel injectors as well. That is also covered under the 8/80. So I will report back after my appointment on Wednesday.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well just got the call back and they said it wasn't the injectors but the juddering is the Torque converter issue covered by 17-014 tech bulletin. Also having my rear brakes done for the first time after 66k miles. Not bad. Let see if the judder is gone after the work.

Just got the Pilot back and it drives like brand new again. They did the Judder software update for the torque converter and also did the drain 3 times. I did talk the SM about the fuel injectors and he said he has been seeing a lot of them but doesn't think the issue Carbon build up issue. But here in NJ it is covered 8/80 emissions warranty. So the judder issue is covered and if I had to do the FI today it would of been covered.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree with tooltooltool.
Had same exact problem....16' EX-L.......the RPM needle appeared very sluggish.....both going up and down.....just not right. Started for me at about 70k miles and got progressively worse, or more noticeable.......power didn't seem to be the issue, getting in and out of the right gear/RPM seemed to be the problem. Got trans fluid changed at 75k miles, and it is back to 'new'.......issue completely gone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Joined just to make this post. I was having the same exact issue as shown in the video with my 2017 Honda Ridgeline. It took 3 trips to the dealership before they would make the repair. The 3rd trip I was armed with the pilot TSB attached to this discussion; just so happens, the Ridgeline has the same TSB. Transmission flushed and software upgrade corrected the problem. No cost to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, we are having this same problem with our 2017 EX-L. My wife took it to our dealer today. She provided them with the service bulletin that someone posted on here and an invoice that was also posted. They said that they will not do the fix unless they can see the car doing it. So the tech drove and of course it wouldn't do it. Is anyone getting this problem fixed without the tech actually seeing it happen?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It took me 3 trips to the dealership before they made the repair. I would suggest recording the rpm gauge when it happens so you can show the mechanic. It also depends on who you get at the service desk, some have more experience than others. Just be persistent - always take the TSB with you and have video evidence.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just joined the forum because of this exact issue. 2017 Honda Pilot V6 AWD (I don't know the trim name)
Unfortunately I live in Canada, so TSB's from USA don't apply here. Anybody know the Canadian equivalent to get the local stealership to do this work?
I can flush my tranny myself, but I'll need the backup to get them to update the software.

To provide a little more data, this is my wife's DD and she's been having zero problems with it until this past summer. We had the dealership put the tow package on the Pilot back in 2018 so we could haul a small-ish 18' camper behind the pilot, well within the tow capacity of the vehicle. It tows it just fine as long as I don't try to go above 100km/h for a long stretch, but it gets by just fine at 100 km/h. The tow package that the dealer installed included an additional transmission intercooler that gets mounted in front of the radiator. Well despite my care and not overtaxing the engine, I had 2 instances of the car telling me the transmission was "overtemp" this past summer. Of course, both times they happened, I pulled over immediately and let everything cool down before continuing. I started getting the "judder" after the first transmission overtemp warning. I have since adapted my driving style to avoid the "judder", but I can recreate the "judder" about 50% of the time. It's not that hard especially in stop and go traffic where the transmission has to dance between gears. Essay I know, but someone in the same situation might find it helpful to know how this problem can come about in a hurry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone from Canada have this issue and success with any TSB's?? Honda Canada won't honor the TSB from Honda in the US.
Update!
Just yesterday, got my wife's '17 Pilot into the local Honda Dealership here in Ontario, Canada.
Before arriving, I was successful in filming "the judder", and I brought the USA TSB's with me
I think it also helped that the service rep I dealt with was very easygoing. Shout out to Dale.
I explained the problem, and showed him the video. I then showed him the USA TSB's that I told him I felt covered the issue. He quickly determined that they were the USA TSB's, BUT he said that he searched his system for "judder" and the Canadian ones popped up immediately. According to him, Honda Canada is very strict with document control, so he couldn't provide me copies. He did mention, however, that the Canadian TSB's cover a much larger variety of vehicles than the US ones I provided, CRV's, etc., and he also mentioned that the Canadian TSB's called for a QUADRUPLE flush of the transmission fluid after the software updates.
You'll see in the attached image, a cropped photo of the service receipt. The TSB's are covered by Honda Canada if the Pilot is under 130,000 km, which is roughly 80,000 miles.
The final takeaway, Canadian owners, the TSB's that apply to this issue are:
17-014
17-017
17-025
17-041
17-043
17-052

Total out of pocket cost for the work done: $0.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined to say thanks. We bought a certified used '16 Pilot a few months back. Extremely nice car, but had/developed the judder that this thread mentions. Finally, brought it into the dealer... different than where we bought it, and it was fixed for free per above. Just mentioned the issue and sent one of the TSBs that describe the problem. The service rep was very familiar with the problem, they easily diagnosed it and said the software update and flush always addresses the issue. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Pilot from Carvana this weekend and I noticed the judder. I went to the dealership near me whose tech did a road test with me and felt it too. They took a snapshot and even submitted to Honda but said supposedly Honda found it to be within the spec and wouldn't do the repair at this time. The service manager said to keep driving it and since I am at 38k miles I have time. Luckily Carvana allows for a 7 day return so I am strongly considering sending it back. I do love the car though, everything else on it is so perfect. Wish there was a way to get them to just do the upgrade and transmission fluid flush.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Pilot from Carvana this weekend and I noticed the judder. I went to the dealership near me whose tech did a road test with me and felt it too. They took a snapshot and even submitted to Honda but said supposedly Honda found it to be within the spec and wouldn't do the repair at this time. The service manager said to keep driving it and since I am at 38k miles I have time. Luckily Carvana allows for a 7 day return so I am strongly considering sending it back. I do love the car though, everything else on it is so perfect. Wish there was a way to get them to just do the upgrade and transmission fluid flush.
What trim model did you purchase?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Thanks, just wanted to make sure you might be covered by the flush and reflash of the programming since you do have the 6 speed transmission. Not sure why Honda even after the mechanic experienced the problem won't do the repair. The Elite and Touring have the 9 speed and I haven't seen any similar complaints (yet) with those symptoms.

With that problem popping up already on a just purchased vehicle, I myself would return it since you can. Best of luck to you either way.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts