Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else experience the following:
I have an appointment at the dealer soon, but I'll be shocked if they can replicate it.
Going up a hill is the easiest way to replicate, but it happens on flat land as well.
Eco mode reproduces it easier.
If I press the gas pedal down 1/4 or less then the car hesitates.
It almost feels like the RPMs are in stages instead of smooth.
I can see the RPM needle jumping up and down.
Very similar to this complaint on the following video of a 2016 Honda Pilot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGnkUJ9QFA

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dealer claims it is as expected and all Pilots supposedly do this under certain conditions. Not sure what to believe. The mechanic I spoke to was an older gentlemen who had 17 years experience under his belt.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Having a similar issue at 35,300 miles (3rd birthday approaching in a week). First gear is fine accelerating. Seems like the car is struggling the most when traveling between 38 and 50 mph. I see the tachometer pulsing as it moves upwards - it’s not a smooth movement and I feel the car “struggling” to increase speed under normal driving conditions. When I floor it there doesn’t seem to be a problem.

I’m going to try to get over to the stealership this week to take a tech out for a test drive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plz plz plz Let me know what your dealer said. I've changed the air filter and done oil change. Also used premium gasoline to no effect.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I went in today and took a quality control manager out for a ride. He said it was normal for the rpm's to fluctuate. He offered to take the car into the back and let a technician take it for a test drive. I declined since there didn't appear to be anything they would find and there was not software update associated with my VIN. I will continue to drive it as is until it pops a CEL. I have 8 year / 120,000 warranty on the car so if and when something happens I will bring it back. A bummer for sure, but not surprising.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm experiencing something similar and I also have an issue when just putting into gear. Seems to take awhile to go into gear and sometimes even when it does it has a hesitation after i push the gas pedal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L 2wd and just hit 30,000 miles. I’ve had no issues with it. Until now. We just went on a 6 hour trip to Atlanta, GA. The drive there was uneventful with no issues. Arrived at the hotel, and shut the Pilot off to check in. Got back in the Pilot to refuel and get supper. That’s when I noticed from about 30 mph to 65 mph the rpm’s jumping on the tachometer. You could feel it, too. My first reaction was that maybe I had run the fuel too low, but I still had 60 miles of range showing. Refueling made no difference. So I was thinking maybe it could be relearning the fuel to air ratios since ATL could be a higher elevation than where I live. But it did the rpm jumping for 4 days and now that I’m back home in Mississippi, the issue is still persisting. Driving at 70-80 I think maybe I can feel it very very slightly, but I’m not 100% positive. The issue is most noticeable while almost (but not quite) coasting downhill between 30-50 mph. Also very noticeable when gradually increasing speed from 30 to 60 mph. Acceleration seems unaffected.

I’ve seen a TSB (A17-014) for the torque converter which sounds like it’s describing the issue, but I’m not sure if that is for the ZF 9-speed or if both transmissions use the same torque converter. It seems like maybe all the TSB pdf links are broken regardless of the source.

I think it’s the torque converter, VCM or possibly MAF sensor. Torque converter seems most likely as the engine doesn’t seem to be running any differently. A faulty or dirty MAF would probably cause rough idling. I know nothing about VCM issues, although on the return trip from Georgia, I observed the same 28 mpg as I did on the way there so that makes me want to rule out the VCM system, too.

I hope you guys post an update soon. I’m going to drop my Pilot off with the dealer Monday afternoon. I’ll post any updates get.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just took it on a long road trip and same behavior. Constant stutter at certain speeds when accelerating. It's weird, cause it started one day and continued, but previously it never stuttered at all. It's almost like the car RPMs are in stages instead of smooth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I both have identical 2016 Honda Pilot EX-Ls aside from color differences. I am driving hers right now. I just wanted to make sure it was not in my head. Definitely positively not in my head. Hers drives perfectly just like mine did before the trip to Atlanta.

I really hope the dealer can figure this out and not brush me off. I am going to make sure they document my issue. I only have 6000 miles left on my warranty!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is an update: the dang Pilot quit doing the rpm thing altogether. I have no idea what was or is the problem but it is not doing the rpm jumping anymore.
I had the issue one solitary time right after leaving to do some errands this morning. After that, no issues. I got my phone out to record the issue and nothing. I must have driven 100 miles today at 30-60 miles per hour and I swear besides that first issue, it has acted completely normal.
This is super frustrating. I have less than 6000 miles left on my warranty! If it is fixed, I am happy. But I do NOT have good luck with problems going away permanently!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a 2016 EX-L w/32k on the odometer and my pilot does the same thing esp going up a steep hill. Im hesitant to take it to my local dealer because the last time i went in for a recall they told me w/16k on the odometer that my pilot has alot of problems and that something isnt reading the transmission's functions and the transmission may start slipping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2016 EX-L does this also. With mine it only seems to do it when driving up a hill/incline, speeds from 20 to 75 mph. ECON mode is off and no cruise control.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Gen 2 just began this exact issue at 20-40. It is quite irritating and actually dangerous because you never know when it is going to occur. I was ready to look at a Gen 3 but know I am not so sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've got about 32K on our 2016 LX 2WD and have been experiencing the same problem, stuttering acceleration and bouncing tach at the same speeds and conditions described in earlier posts. I took ours to the dealership and, believe it or not, the service tech was able to reproduce the problem! He then threw it on some analytical tool and reported that the problem is not the torque converter (i guess sine the 9speed transmissions are suffering he thought that could be the problem with mine too even though it's not a 9 speed but nope). Then he tried to tell me it could be the oil since we've not been getting the oil changed at the dealer. I called BS, provided service records from local garage and he backed down on that ridiculous assertion.

So then the tech said he'd done all he could without the help of Honda US (guess it's like the Big Brother of service data or something) but this was on a weekend and they weren't available until a weekday. I let him keep the car and over the next two days he drove it 80+ miles with the computer hooked up to monitoring system and was unable to recreate the problem. ARGH!

The dealership gave the car back and said to let them know if it happen again. Strangely, the problem went away for a week or so but has since begun to get more pronounced again. I'm going out of town in a couple of days so probably won't get it back to the shop until the first week of August but i'm hoping by then to be able to tell the tech exactly how to drive the car to get it to stutter.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Sorry to hear it. Please keep us posted. It’s not my DD or I’d be going nuts. I typically notice it while going uphill. Not sure if the air conditioning helps to reproduce or not. I’ve been pushing the pedal down pretty hard trying to get a CEL but I haven’t gotten one yet. There’s another recent thread about a TSB with the catalytic converter which had me thinking that could be part of the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2016 EX w/60K miles and am having the exact same. Have had a similar issue when I replaced spark plugs on another vehicle and the issue went away when a broken spark plug was replaced. I will probably replace spark plugs and see how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok guys... since nobody has updated with an actual fix, I finally have one. Registered just to say I was having the exact problem described in previous posts on my 16 ex-l and after a couple visits to the dealership it appears to be corrected. Invoice states: The judder was caused by deteriorated transmission fluid.. the tech said a software problem was causing burning of the trans fluid.. an update for the trans software should stop the burning problem, and the repair procedure states after update, flush the transmission fluid 3 times. My problem was extremely noticeable and getting worse slowly and after driving for a couple days, it seems to be 100% resolved..... finally..... for now at least. Time will tell. Hope this helps someone. Listed s/b are 17-015, 17-044, 17-018, 17-026, 17-042,18-017.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts