Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the posts are covered in this model, they give you two small studs to grab on to with cables. The kids must've left a dome light on and the car had been garaged for several weeks during the winter because when I went to initially start, it barely turned over and then crapped out. So I grab the little jump kit and I swear I clamped to the correct studs - I'm kicking myself for not looking for a ground on the frame but it was dark and I didn't have much light. There wasn't much juice left in the battery because I don't remember any hard sparks for the lights glowing or any of the things we normally see when a battery gets crossed but I sat in the car for a minute and got absolutely nothing. I mean, everything lit up, but the starter didn't even try to turn over. So I put the trickle charger on overnight, next day, says battery is dead. Bad battery. So I pull the battery and decided to try to charge it before I take it in to Auto Zone for testing. It takes a full charge. Auto Zone tests, perfect condition. Next, it goes back in the Pilot and the Honda icon flashes on the instrument board and then it goes black. The start/stop button is flashing, recognizing FOB connection. I push the button (with foot on brake, obviously), nothing. Nada. Won't go to accessories mode. However, I have full power to lights and the horn.

I smell a relay gone bad because I've pulled every fuse and they're all good. Anyone have any idea of what relay I should consider looking at?

Thanks... -J

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
2015 but should be in the same location.

One suggestion, dump the jumper kit if doesn't have reverse polarity protection and buy a new one with reverse polarity protection built in. That way if you are ever in the same dark situation again you should be protected from damaging the battery or electronics in the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... starting in 2016, the battery posts are completely hidden by plastic and all you have access to are two studs that look near the same you can barely get a clamp on. And, TBH, I can't imagine I reversed them - I mean, at least the positive is marked and it's just not the kind of thing I can imagine myself doing. Like I said, the headlights didn't dim on, no sparks, but it's the only thing I can imagine I f'd up accidentally. I talked to the local Honda service manager and he said that this last gen battery setup is ridiculous and they're poorly marked so he gets calls weekly about crossing polarity but usually with another vehicle with a lot more juice than that little jump battery I was using and blowing starter/cut relays (which I THINK I checked on mine with the horn relay but after talking to him, I might have been checking the wrong ones They're very poorly marked. I do have a nice jump unit with reverse polarity protection but we're in the process of moving and it's 6,000 miles away, along with all my shop tools. I'm working with a skeleton crew of my portable tool box that goes everywhere and a Leatherman Wave! So, I'm limited to pulling and checking fuses and relays and that's about it. I can tear a mid-90s Chevy 5.7 all the way down and out and back again but just don't have the tool sets nor the know how to *ick around with these new vehicles so even if I had my shop here, I still don't think I'd start pulling things apart - over my head. I miss the days of adjusting valves and setting timing!

Thanks for the video - I'll take a look and see if I can find it on mine and jump see if I can at least get power to the starter. I'm not sure, however, how that will solve the issue of accessories not even turning on.

Regards...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts