Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Pilot with 158000 miles. Repairs are coming in faster in last 8 months that first 9 years combined. Would like to take it to 200000 miles which would be about 1 1/2 years. Maybe even 250000. If I tired to trade in looking to get maybe $5000. But will have another car payment.

Can I look at it as I have $5000 budget to repair car until it dies? That $5000 might take me to 250000 miles or 5 or 6 more years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
what do you mean by repairs? Around 100k+ miles you're looking at timing belt, tensioners, serpentine belt, maybe an alternator, ac compressor, motor mounts. But nothing really major. Most of these things can be replaced by an avid DIYer using youtube and service manual. IMHO 158k is nothing as long as you keep up with maintenance. You'll lose $5k alone in depreciating value if you get a new car. But that's just me, I haven't purchased a new car since 2012, and that was a CRV for my wife.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
If by repairs, you mean normal maintenance....that's keeping the car healthy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
May 2019: spool valve and alternator replaced: $600
Aug 2019: Piston rings 1-3 replaced. Out of recall but was given loyalty credit. front brake pads and rotors resurfaced. Rear pads replaced: $1200
Oct 2019 P0118 code Coolant temp sensor replaced. $200.

Timing belt replaced at 100000 miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Aug 2019: Piston rings 1-3 replaced. Out of recall but was given loyalty credit. front brake pads and rotors resurfaced. Rear pads replaced: $1200

Looks like you got some major repairs out of the way. I doubt you'll have any more heavy ticket items down the road aside from normal maintenance. Maybe motor mounts. Also I'd disable the VCM already if you haven't yet. VCM causes nothing but issues, the j35 motor pre VCM days were rock solid and do 300K+ miles easy

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
803 Posts
Should be smooth sailing for quite a bit. Alternators typically go out around that time (it did for mine). If you’re still looking to get rid of it I’d buy a Pilot with that mileage for $5,000

·
Registered
603 Posts

Those are nothing.

The spool valve is a known issue, and requires only a quick check under the hood once a month, or proactive replacement of the seal. The only reason an alternator would fail due to this is extended lack of inspection and maintenance in this area.... because you had the spool valve gasket leak oil on to the alternator. If you ignore this long enough, the alternator fries.

Piston rings are a known issue, and caused by the owner not disabling VCM. Once you disable VCM this ceases to be a problem.

Brakes? Really?

Sounds like the only failure you had which was unplanned maintenance and not caused by known issues or lack of maintenance is the coolant sensor. A coolant temp sensor is $20.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,946 Posts
Only you can make the decision of what your financial tolerance is. With an older vehicle something could break next week or the next major repair could be a year out. You just never know.
It’s a lot easier to justify keeping an aging vehicle if you learn how to perform some of the work yourself.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Those are nothing.

The spool valve is a known issue, and requires only a quick check under the hood once a month, or proactive replacement of the seal. The only reason an alternator would fail due to this is extended lack of inspection and maintenance in this area.... because you had the spool valve gasket leak oil on to the alternator. If you ignore this long enough, the alternator fries.

Piston rings are a known issue, and caused by the owner not disabling VCM. Once you disable VCM this ceases to be a problem.

Brakes? Really?

Sounds like the only failure you had which was unplanned maintenance and not caused by known issues or lack of maintenance is the coolant sensor. A coolant temp sensor is $20.
dont tell me that the alternator failed due to a lack of maintenance. Are you kidding me? Why blame everything on the OP? There are some people who don’t think certain maintenance items are worthwhile on a car and so when it’s time to do them, they think the car is falling apart. To some people 158,000 miles is a lot.

every single thing you mentioned blames the owner. The piston rings don’t fail because the owner doesn’t disable VCM! Owners shouldn’t have to do that in the first place.

If you don’t have a good trustworthy mechanic, having a high mileage car can very quickly become a money pit. DIY knowledge and a good independent mechanic (and lack of money to spend on new cars) are the only reason it’s worth it to keep cars past 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
603 Posts
dont tell me that the alternator failed due to a lack of maintenance. Are you kidding me? Why blame everything on the OP? There are some people who don’t think certain maintenance items are worthwhile on a car and so when it’s time to do them, they think the car is falling apart. To some people 158,000 miles is a lot.

every single thing you mentioned blames the owner. The piston rings don’t fail because the owner doesn’t disable VCM! Owners shouldn’t have to do that in the first place.

If you don’t have a good trustworthy mechanic, having a high mileage car can very quickly become a money pit. DIY knowledge and a good independent mechanic (and lack of money to spend on new cars) are the only reason it’s worth it to keep cars past 200,000 miles.
You are right - the way that's worded it blames the owner - I could have written it better. I was trying to point out the maintenance performed thus far are well known issues, and could have been proactively avoided and NOT become unplanned maintenance..... or there were items listed that are simple planned maintenance wear items. I also agree, if you don't DIY, it can get expensive once you need to replace worn suspension parts, transmission failures, cooling system issues, AC issues, etc, once a car reaches a certain age/mileage.

That said, I often deal with people who have 1 or 2 smaller items, and they come to the conclusion that their vehicle is "falling apart", and this is rarely the case.

·
Registered
803 Posts
You are right - the way that's worded it blames the owner - I could have written it better. I was trying to point out the maintenance performed thus far are well known issues, and could have been proactively avoided and NOT become unplanned maintenance..... or there were items listed that are simple planned maintenance wear items. I also agree, if you don't DIY, it can get expensive once you need to replace worn suspension parts, transmission failures, cooling system issues, AC issues, etc, once a car reaches a certain age/mileage.

That said, I often deal with people who have 1 or 2 smaller items, and they come to the conclusion that their vehicle is "falling apart", and this is rarely the case.
I have family who act like replacing tires on their car is it falling apart. Once it gets to 100,000 miles it becomes a death trap. Meanwhile I have 182,000 on my pilot and 253,000 on an odyssey. I love high mileage cars!

·
Registered
31 Posts
to answer your question, i think some of you have gone past this, Yes I would keep your car. You have mainly done the big ticket items, and as long you take good care of your Pilot it will last you another 150k miles easy. Not sure though if you would get another $5000 out of it, but think of it this way its another 1.5 years you are saving more money from a monthly car payment. Estimate a monthly care payment of $300-500/month at 1.5 years is roughly $5400 - $9000 you are saving by not having a monthly payment for those 1.5 years. Granted you have your maintenance to take into affect, but as mentioned already you seem to have done most of the big ticket items.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. After everything was fixed, the car still runs great. In fact it never ran bad, just the check engine lights came on indicating something needed attention. Still runs as smooth if not smoother than when I first got it. Seems like the more miles I get on it i am motivated to try to get as much miles on it as I can just to see.
Hopefully I can post on here when it hits the 250K mark without too many issues.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks for all the input. After everything was fixed, the car still runs great. In fact it never ran bad, just the check engine lights came on indicating something needed attention. Still runs as smooth if not smoother than when I first got it. Seems like the more miles I get on it i am motivated to try to get as much miles on it as I can just to see.
Hopefully I can post on here when it hits the 250K mark without too many issues.
I think that you should get many more miles from your Pilot. I would just remind you about the need for regular transmission fluid changes. Keep up with the recommended service, or even stay a bit ahead of the recommendations, and you should be able to keep the transmission shifting smoothly for many, many miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts