Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be taking my '12 Pilot into the dealer for some maintenance over break. There's a very slow leak on the power steering pump, so I'll have them replace that. I also plan on having them replace the timing chain + adjust valve lash, as I've read that's recommended for these vehicles around this mileage. They'll be doing rear brakes as well.

Is there anything else I should have them look at? A few weeks ago they aligned it and found nothing other than brakes + PS pump.

Also, what would it cost to have a freeze plug heater installed? Or the OEM remote start?

TIA!

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Everything you haven't had done when it was supposed to have been done. You are already way past due for the timing belt, (105K), so I believe it is safe to assume that there are other things, such as spark plugs (100K) miles, differential fluid, tranny fluid, brake fluid (every 3 years), coolant (every 3 years) etc that have not been done as well.

You best bet at this point is have the dealer pull up the service history and tell you what all has been missed/needs doing. Seeing the time of the year that you are doing this, you might want to put a Christmas card on the dash for them as well, this may be an expensive one if you have not kept up on routine maintenance.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,593 Posts
I wouldn’t panic in regards to the timing belt. I’m sure Honda’s replacement interval is extremely conservative given the catastrophic consequences of a broken belt. Still get it done ASAP.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I wouldn’t panic in regards to the timing belt. I’m sure Honda’s replacement interval is extremely conservative given the catastrophic consequences of a broken belt. Still get it done ASAP.
I'd be panicking over an 8 year old 150k mile timing belt, TB tensioner and water pump.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Since you're apparently comfortable with a big bill, I suggest having them do shocks and struts, too. At 150k, you got your money's worth from the original set, and you'll get a "like new" ride for another 75k miles.

As Daltongang noted, having fluids replaced is critical. New coolant would probably make a block heater unnecessary unless you live in an arctic climate.

If you get sticker shock from this scope of work, priority for me would be:

Essential: fluids, timing belt, brakes
Important: power steering pump, valves
Nice to have: shocks/struts, block heater, remote start

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,593 Posts
I'd be panicking over an 8 year old 150k mile timing belt, TB tensioner and water pump.
I’m just saying I wouldn’t park the car until it could get serviced, or tow it to the shop. It seems like (and I very well could be wrong) most failures happen after the first replacement.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I’m just saying I wouldn’t park the car until it could get serviced, or tow it to the shop. It seems like (and I very well could be wrong) most failures happen after the first replacement.
A family members 2014 Original Equipment tensioner was failing at 104k and 1 year before it was due.
Catastrophic Engine Failure Avoided
If I couldn't DIY, I'd make my next trip be to where the work will be done. Near by preferably.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Pump is probably fine, probably just needs a new main seal on it, dealerships wouldn't know this or care though, it's all about putting in a new $400 pump for them. Can you send me the old pump when they replace yours? I'll rebuild yours for $50 with oem parts in an hour and resell it for $250 :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for getting back to you all so late, busy time of year. Thanks for your input though, I'll sit down and talk with them about these.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As listed above

essential: fluids, timing belt with tensioner and water pump, breaks.
But I’d also see if the transfer case fluid has been changed. If not yet I’d do it as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts