Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I just got a 2016 Pilot Elite this week and am looking into winter tires. I've always gone through Tire Rack, but figured I'd explore OEM options. I want 18" rims for winter, but don't want to but the $500 ones. The dealer has 18" rims from a 2015 Ridgeline, but said the TPMS likely wouldn't work. That's a deal breaker for me; I drove for the past 7 years in the winter without TPMS and hated it -- constant paranoia that I had a flat (and I did get a flat tire in my winters once, unrepairable).

Do you know if the 2015 Ridgline rims and TPMS would work for sure in my 2016 Pilot? Or is the dealer guy right?

Also, I was never impressed with Blizzak W80s on my last two Foresters. When I got that flat, I switched to Dunlops and they were amazing! So much better than the W80s. I could take slushy turns and curves without needing to correct.

I have to drive in several inches of slush because they barely clear the roads here. Are the Blizzak DM-V2s better than the W80s? They don't even plow my current street, so I'll be driving on snow for 1/8 mile before getting to the slushy roads.

·
Registered
124 Posts
New HONDA OEM TPMS are around $100 from Online dealerships. You can go other OEM Brand rims with the same 5 x 120 bolt pattern; BMW, Acura (MDX), Range/Land Rover etc...for cheaper. Just check your local classifieds. I went this route and got a full set of 18" BMW X5 rims for $100.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
Honda 18" Alloy Wheels - Chrome ( for Pilot, Ridgeline) for $287.82 @ BernardiParts (Honda dealer) includes TPMS sensors (per installation instructions).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
New HONDA OEM TPMS are around $100 from Online dealerships. You go other OEM Brand rims with the same 5 x 120 bolt pattern; BMW, Acura (MDX), Range/Land Rover etc...for cheaper. Just check your local classifieds. I went this route and got a full set of 18" BMW X5 rims for $100.

Thanks! Though I'm not sure how to tell if another set of wheels have the right bolt pattern. And, will the Honda TPMS work? Or would I use a different one?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda 18" Alloy Wheels - Chrome ( for Pilot, Ridgeline) for $287.82 @ BernardiParts (Honda dealer) includes TPMS sensors (per installation instructions).

I will definitely consider that. Though further in the instructions it says to remove the TPMS from the original wheel and install on the new one.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
I will definitely consider that. Though further in the instructions it says to remove the TPMS from the original wheel and install on the new one.
I purchased a set of Honda's 20" black alloy wheels (and Blizzak DM-V1 tires) for my Pilot last year. Each wheel included a TPMS sensor so it's simply remove & replace the all-season for winter wheels/tires etc.

The Touring/Elite TPMS self registers with the Pilot so no reprogramming is necessary. I'm not sure how the lower trim/models behave.

If you're considering Honda's OEM 18" wheel give the reseller (Bernardi, College Hills Honda, etc.) parts dept. a call to verify a TPMS sensor is included with each new wheel.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
People did just fine without TPMS for decades. Just regularly check your tire pressure - like you should be doing anyway.
Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Whatever. I think very few drivers routinely check air pressures. Even fewer routinely check oil level. Low air pressure contributes to loss of vehicle control as well as poor fuel economy, so I don't think TPMS is a bad thing. We can probably thank the Ford Exploder/Firestone debacle for the federal mandate. And what about detecting when you have picked up a nail in a tire? It can be hard to tell when a modern radial tire is low just from feel, and I frequently see cars driving around with one tire almost down to the rim. That's likely to be a ruined tire by the time it gets discovered, even if it might have been repairable. That's more expensive than a set of TMPS sensors.

In any case, 2016 Pilot gets seriously testy if it doesn't detect TPMS sensors for all wheels. In fact, my Touring gets downright pissy. All kinds of warnings flash on the display and most of the "sensing suite" stuff and vehicle stability assist/traction control gets shut down. Not worth it. You can get the OEM sensors for $25-$30 each and they should mount in any recently manufactured wheel ( last 10-12 years or so for Honda/Acura wheels ). They automatically pair with the vehicle, no fuss, no muss. Or reuse the old ones if you swap wheels, but the shop may want to use a "rebuild kit" ( replacement seals and attachment nut ) for the sensors.

·
Super Moderator
15,213 Posts
It's a Euro mandate to.
The auto headlights including shutting off the brights when another car is approaching is another European mandate as is headlight leveling system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Given that the Pilot gets testy, I want to make sure that an older OEM TPMS (with the '15 rims) would work...

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
TPMS sensors don't usually come with wheels, unless you buy take-offs with those "thrown in". For take-offs check Tire Rack or your friendly local Discount Tire to see if the sensors are cross-compatible. Or compare part numbers on internet parts sites. There are different transmission frequencies, so that could rule it out quick, but AFAIK there are other potential incompatibility issues as well.
[edit] OK finally read the original post and see 2015 Ridgeline TPMS sensors come along with take-off wheels. See above. Can't check it right now.

·
Banned
1,104 Posts
My Honda OEM black alloy wheels included the TPMS sensor w/original purchase (fall 2015). Rather than just speculate about this with our forum's participants just give the reseller a call to find out if it is included with the wheel.

BTW, not only will your Pilot send warning (error) alerts sans TPMS, but depending on the state it's registered in it may not pass inspection if due when operating your vehicle in that condition.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Answer is NO. Not cross-compatible. 315MHz vs 433MHz and different part numbers. ☹️

BTW I assumed that was 2014 Ridgeline cuz there doesn't seem to have been a 2015.

Whether new OEM wheels come with TPMS will depend on part number ordered. Can get "assembly" including TPMS and center cap or bare wheel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My Honda OEM black alloy wheels included the TPMS sensor w/original purchase (fall 2015). Rather than just speculate about this with our forum's participants just give the reseller a call to find out if it is included with the wheel.
My husband would rather not pay for new OEM wheels, even if they are under $300. He's comparing it to the <$150 wheels I can get from Tire Rack. So my question is more about would the takeoffs work with the TPMS, rather than whether 2016 OEM wheels include the TPMS... though if they do, that takes the sting out of the price a little bit.

The dealer parts guy said that the 2016 TPMS would not fit into a <2016 rim, because everything changed for 2016. He had to ask a few other people to get an answer, though, and still didn't seem 100% sure.

Main question: is the Honda TPMS better/more compatible with the 2016 Pilot than a universal one from Tire Rack? If so, then I will have to convince my husband about the 2016 OEM Honda rims. If not, then I'll likely have to go with an aftermarket rim. Unless the Honda rims are much better; are they?

Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Answer is NO. Not cross-compatible. 315MHz vs 433MHz and different part numbers. ☹️

BTW I assumed that was 2014 Ridgeline cuz there doesn't seem to have been a 2015.

Whether new OEM wheels come with TPMS will depend on part number ordered. Can get "assembly" including TPMS and center cap or bare wheel.
Thanks so much for checking!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I talked to a local Honda guy and he suggested 17" wheels/tires for where we live. Massive pot holes.

I might go with the Nokians instead of Blizzaks, and use OEM TPMS with aftermarket rims.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
For an older MDX in my fleet ( hand-me-down student car ), I just bought 17" Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV tires, to go on "house brand" cheap painted aluminum wheels from Discount Tire. Haven't had them on snow yet ( not even on the car yet ), but they look bad-a$$ and that's something. But other vehicles in the fleet will still be running Blizzaks, including my 2016 Pilot, and those are great in winter too. And Blizzaks are cheaper and easier to find. But if you go Nokian, you can impress your friends with your "hack them to pieces" bad-a$$ snow tires. Northerners have some strange fetishes... :wink:

BTW, now that Blizzak DM-V2 is out, DM-V1 are available on clearance. Differences are small. Tire prices just took a big jump! :frown:

·
Registered
1 Posts
They automatically pair with the vehicle, no fuss, no muss.

I want to put winter tires on steel wheels and then I can swap between summer and winter rubber myself. My local Honda dealer says that the TPMS must be reprogrammed every time the wheels are swapped, but many people indicate that this is not the case.

Can you confirm that the 2016 PILOT EX-L will automatically recognize and sync with the new wheel TPMS sensors when they are swapped every spring and fall?

It beats paying them $50.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts