Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning... quick question. I have a 2013 Honda Pilot that has a bad front wheel hub... specifically the bearing is bad. I understand that these are a part of the powertrain warranty... which unfortunately for me ran out (I have 75K miles on it). Now on to my question...

The dealer I purchased from offers an "extended warranty" as a perk for servicing the vehicle there... which I have. It is 7 years / 100K miles and includes this language "Schompfidence is a limited mechanical component coverage plan, and includes only selected components**. These components include the alternator and starter motor; all internally-lubricated engine parts; all internally-lubricated transmission parts (except clutch plates, flywheel and throw-out bearings); complete drive axle assembly including all internally-lubricated parts; upper and lower front suspension ball joints; power steering pump; brake master cylinder.

Do you feel that the "complete drive axle assembly" would include the wheel hub in this case? I am not entirely sure... and need some ammo when I get a call from them later today. :). Thoughts? Thx....

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I do not think so but IANAL. Internally lubricated drive axle parts to me sound like CV joints while the hub is not a part of them.
Replacing the bearing is not such a huge job and can be DIY in the driveway provided you rent the proper tools.
Do not hold me to it as I am not overly familiar with your gen Pilot's knuckle, but I recall MDX having a design where you replace the hub as a unit versus having to press out the bearing. If you found a used pair of MDX knuckles at a junk yard, you could take advantage of upgrading the Pilot with them and using MDX calipers and hubs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct that it is the entire hub as a unit for the bearing... they do not press them out. I think you are right about it not being covered... under the dealer specific warranty, but I am fighting that now, as I type this. ;-) Doubt I will get it covered, but it's worth a shot none the less.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If the hub bolts onto the knuckle, then replacing it is not that hard. All you need to worry about is the ABS sensor. Get Timken hubs and slap them on.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
agreed the first gen pilots are way more involved than the second gen ones...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good morning... quick question. I have a 2013 Honda Pilot that has a bad front wheel hub... specifically the bearing is bad. I understand that these are a part of the powertrain warranty... which unfortunately for me ran out (I have 75K miles on it). Now on to my question...

The dealer I purchased from offers an "extended warranty" as a perk for servicing the vehicle there... which I have. It is 7 years / 100K miles and includes this language "Schompfidence is a limited mechanical component coverage plan, and includes only selected components**. These components include the alternator and starter motor; all internally-lubricated engine parts; all internally-lubricated transmission parts (except clutch plates, flywheel and throw-out bearings); complete drive axle assembly including all internally-lubricated parts; upper and lower front suspension ball joints; power steering pump; brake master cylinder.

Do you feel that the "complete drive axle assembly" would include the wheel hub in this case? I am not entirely sure... and need some ammo when I get a call from them later today. :). Thoughts? Thx....
The wheel hub is actually a small part which runs around $50. I bought a new wheel hub and CV axle from Rock auto and replaced them myself. It was a cheap and relatively easy fix, but I had access to a lift and the necessary tools. Total cost was about $100. If you can safely jack up the Pilot, you can do the repair yourself using online tutorials.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts