Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard there is a way to change out a relay with a jumper so that your power outlets work even when your key isn't in the ignition. Does anyone know more about this?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would be interested in doing this as well. I remember my first cellular phone back in '91 was one of those they mounted in your car and it stayed on 24-7. I don't know how it was wired, but I miss that! I'm cheap and still have a bag phone, so I have to have the car running or it doesn't work.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
The sockets are controled by Relays.
The relay sockets use the same type pints as the common "blade" type connectors.
It is easy to pull the relay and jumper the switched contact pins.
The trick is getting the right relay, and the right pins.

I have been asked this question enough times recently that I will pull out the manual and get an answer.

I did it a different way by pulling in a new hot from the battery to under the dash to run my stuff.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jap Cig Lighters

All Japanese Cars have the 12v's off when the car is not on. Thus all cell phones plugged into them are perpetually dead. I complained to Toyota...they told be TS. Honda will likely do the same

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Buy a decent phone

OK, just kidding,
but most phones today easily go a whole day on a charge. :)

I guess they have a reason to do this. Not sure what it is though.

:2:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: Buy a decent phone

N_Jay said:

I guess they have a reason to do this. Not sure what it is though.
Pro:
So that your battery isn't dead when your kids leave the Nintendo plugged in and turned on all night.

Con:
Yes, most cell phones will go a whole day or more on charge now. But if you kept it plugged into the car, and the charger was hot, it would recharge in there at night and you wouldn't have to remember to plug it into the AC charger!

·
Registered
767 Posts
For an alternate view, I'd like to say that I love the fact that the power outlets go on and off with the ignition. Much nicer than having to remember all the time to turn my radar detector on and off. Plus, my detector has a very flimsy and difficult power switch--now I never have to touch it.

The only problem I've had in this respect is when I was on a long road trip, every time I'd stop for gas and switch the car off without thinking about it, I'd hear, "DAD! You just turned off my game! Now I have to start all over!" After a while I learned my lesson and remember to have them save before I shut it off. :)

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Partial answer

The relay that controls the front 2 power outlets also control the radio and NAV or DVD.

The relay that controls the rear 2 outlets only controls those outlets.

Youwill need to look at the ETM in person, or have some one with much better explaination slills tell you how exactly to find the relays.
Once you find the relay, you will see it has two large pins and 2 small ones. Just make a jumper that replaces the relay and jumpers the two larger pins. Once you see the relay it will be obvious.

I would bet the dealer could point the relay out to you when you are in for other service.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts