Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if one of those Lithium Battery Jumpers will have enough juice to start a 2012 Pilot?
The one I found has some ratings on the box as follows:
Capacity: Up to 800mAh (3.7 v)
Start current: 200A - 350A
Operating temperature: -4 F to +93 F

How do I know if this has enough juice for my vehicle under normal temperatures?
thanks
ken

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Does anyone know if one of those Lithium Battery Jumpers will have enough juice to start a 2012 Pilot?

How do I know if this has enough juice for my vehicle under normal temperatures?
thanks
ken
That's small.
I'd look for at least 400-600 amp.
Bigger is better.

Reactions: PolarSuns

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
578 Posts
I think this is what you're referring to but not sure.... haven't had coffee yet.

I have this one:
Gooloo Battery Jump Starter

Technology Electronic device Games Screenshot

My Jeep sat for 6 months and was able to jump start it right away. The one thing I'll say with mine is I'll go 6 months without touching it and it always still has a charge. I think the lowest I've seen without regular use is 85%.

I did let my friend borrow it for a few weeks, she had a VW Bug with a parasitic drain. I convinced her to sell that pos (upgraded to a BMW330i) but she was using it everyday, multiple times a day. She not mechanically inclined.... she actually got the GooLoo battery down to around 20%. Had to charge it overnight.

Based on the questions, it will be fine for a Pilot.

Text Font Document Illustration

Before I bought the above i had a AAA guy out and he used one of the NOCO brand ones. I'm assuming he jump starts a lot of cars but if you want or need what a pro uses you can check those out. They are more expensive....

Motor vehicle Transport Font Vehicle Automotive exterior

Good luck

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
The size to get is basically a trade off. If you are looking at a battery that was drained a bit to low to start the vehicle then all you are doing is adding to the CCA's the battery still has.

If however you are looking at a depleted battery, then you need close to or meeting the minimal CCA's. These however are not particularly convenient to carry around.

This is what I picked up when I was maintaining a large fleet of vehicles.

Where I worked bought me a couple of the above packs as well as a couple of jumper pack housing that held full size car batteries. I usually had 20-40 cars in storage at any one time, so I needed plenty of power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

thanks
ken
thanks for the suggestions. The unit I bought came from Costco ($60), and seems a bit light in terms of capacity. I think I'll take it back and pick up that GOOLOO unit for $80. I just want a bit more insurance and quicker response than calling AAA. Although they are pretty quick, I'd like another option in a pinch.
thanks again
ken

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Size matters as the bigger ones do pump out more CCA but they will be bigger, heavier and inconvenient to carry or store in your trunk for emergencies. IMO something in the middle ought to be enough to get your vehicle started to get home to correct the issue.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
Just get The Big One.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Tangent just a little... Why aren't cars equipped with these for the starting boost, plus another tiny something to run the interior lights and the hatch motor while the engine is off.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
139 Posts
There is no need for these, not many applicable use cases. These have limited lifespan and could get shorter life if you don't pay attention.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
578 Posts
thanks for the suggestions. The unit I bought came from Costco ($60), and seems a bit light in terms of capacity. I think I'll take it back and pick up that GOOLOO unit for $80. I just want a bit more insurance and quicker response than calling AAA. Although they are pretty quick, I'd like another option in a pinch.
thanks again
ken

My GooLoo one came in a really nice organized zippered case.

I'm not home otherwise I would take a picture. It definitely fits in the pocket in the back hatch or even under the floor space.

I would purchase again or as a gift.

I'm not a baller like Nail Grease so the NOCO is too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
My GooLoo one came in a really nice organized zippered case.

I'm not home otherwise I would take a picture. It definitely fits in the pocket in the back hatch or even under the floor space.

I would purchase again or as a gift.

I'm not a baller like Nail Grease so the NOCO is too rich for my blood.
I had actually rejected buying it until it came on sale. No, not a baller by any means. 😑

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
If you only buy cheap tires, then you can afford to buy an expensive jump start pack.
Savings do start to add up after several purchases of inexpensive tires. What's really puts a smile on your face is when those who drive the vehicles you care for, like the new tires you put on. The Otani truck tire test thus far is proving successful. This change banked us about $400.

Reactions: PHM

·
Registered
753 Posts
Tangent just a little... Why aren't cars equipped with these for the starting boost, plus another tiny something to run the interior lights and the hatch motor while the engine is off.

Some cars actually seem have intelligent power mgmt and will prevent the battery from getting there in the first place. Our Pilot has the uncanny ability to kill a battery from my wife vacuuming it or whatever. I’ve also found that scanning codes on it with the Bluedriver obd2 tool will cause SOMETHING to draw and kill it overnight. I have to disconnect the battery after scanning to prevent it. I swear my Lexus and BMW handle the battery soooo much better. I’ve partially drained the Lexus a few times by leaving things on / open. It always has done some thing to shed load and always still starts. My bmw will display low battery warnings and I <think> also shed load to avoid hitting a critical level. Neither have ever had a dead battery... bad battery? Yes. But never dead from a draw.

A second battery would be a good idea though.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Some cars actually seem have intelligent power mgmt and will prevent the battery from getting there in the first place. Our Pilot has the uncanny ability to kill a battery from my wife vacuuming it or whatever. I’ve also found that scanning codes on it with the Bluedriver obd2 tool will cause SOMETHING to draw and kill it overnight. I have to disconnect the battery after scanning to prevent it. I swear my Lexus and BMW handle the battery soooo much better. I’ve partially drained the Lexus a few times by leaving things on / open. It always has done some thing to shed load and always still starts. My bmw will display low battery warnings and I <think> also shed load to avoid hitting a critical level. Neither have ever had a dead battery... bad battery? Yes. But never dead from a draw.

A second battery would be a good idea though.
You could try installing one of these devices:
Battery Saver | Spokane, WA - PriorityStart!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts