Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had noticed some sounds for a while now when I switched off eco mode and revved for power when I needed it. This Saturday, I started the 2019 Pilot Elite and saw a message on the infotainment screen that said I should hold on to the power switch for a few seconds to re-enable the anti-theft system. I had never seen that before but followed the instruction. The vehicle started and infotainment resumed normally. As soon as I drove a few yards, we heard a disturbing rattling sound which made me stop the vehicle. I opened the hood for the first time ever and inspected as much as I could but noticed nothing unusual. I resumed the long one hour drive back home but no sooner did we hit the highway before a warning message popped up stating there was a problem with the 12v battery charging system followed by another stating the AWD drive system had been disabled. I turned off all accessories and we just drove home. On Sunday, I started the Pilot and both error messages still showed up after a couple of minutes. Early this morning, I headed straight to the dealership but just 6 miles in, lost all power and the vehicle will not restart. I was at a bad spot on a single lane to make a left turn at the traffic light. I called Honda Link Customer Service and they sent me a tow truck that arrived within 45 minutes.

2 hours into my wait at the dealership, I was told the serpentine belt pulled off on the pulley and of course, that meant the alternator stopped charging the battery and it just drained out completely. That (serpentine belt) is going to be replaced. I asked if the battery will also be replaced (it's a year old) since it was fully drained but was told it won't be an issue. It is unusual for the serpentine belt to be replaced this early but sh*t happens. I searched the community for posts related to this but only found them on older Pilots. Pilot is close to 11,000 miles. It wasn't a pleasant experience I had but I still love my Pilot. Isolated issues like this may pop up every now and then, but I strongly think having the right attitude helps to live through these imperfect occasions. Btw, Honda took care of the tow. Not seen my bill yet and will provide updates if need be.

Update: I was not charged a dime!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
I was going to say you should not have been charged a dime. Did they replace any tensioners?
And did you receive an explanation of what caused the belt to loose tension?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to say you should not have been charged a dime. Did they replace any tensioners?
And did you receive an explanation of what caused the belt to loose tension?
None other than the agent telling me it is rare but not unheard of. A multipoint inspection was done and the serpentine belt replaced. I have read about 3 possible causes for the serpentine jumping off the pulley and one of them has to do with resetting the belt at the right tension. I am suspecting the tension got missed following a recall that evaluated the timing belt some months ago. Just my suspicion - I could be wrong. It is just so very unusual for the serpentine belt to have to be replaced at 11,000 miles from all I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts