Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the heat here in Tampa Bay area seems to eat batteries every few years. This is not exclusive to our Pilot - I have noticed this with our other cars too. In the last 12 years living here, I don't think I've had a battery last more than 36 months on any of our cars.

Currently the Pilot battery seems to be going bad. Noticed some long starts and clicking yesterday. Voltage was between 10.5v and 11.4v on two occasions last night but still able to get started to my surprise. I left the battery on a CTEK charger all night and all the charging cycles completed. Battery showed 12.7v in morning but after putting load on it (headlights for 30 seconds), the voltage drops below 11v and did not recover above 11v after 30 minutes with no load. Car still able to crank but I'm starting to shop for a replacement just in case.

After the original Honda battery went in our 2010 Pilot, we went with Advance Auto Autocraft Gold 24F for replacements but we haven't had good luck with them lasting more than 24 months. Thankfully the 36 month warranty means I usually get one free replacement for my money. Looking for other recommendations for battery replacements with a priority on a 36 month warranty (less than 24 months might be too short).

Here is what I have found from shopping around for 24F batteries and taking current discounts into account:

Advance Auto Diehard Gold $170, 36 months free replacement
Walmart EverStart MAXX $100, 36 months free replacement
Honda dealer battery $152, 36 months free replacement, 100 month prorated thereafter
Autozone Duralast Gold $170, less 20% coupon nets $136, 36 months free replacement
NAPA Legend $140, 18 month free replacement, 75 month prorated (too short free replacement)
Pep Boys Champion:
Champion $110, 30 months free replacement (might be too short)
Champion Premium $161, 36 months free replacement

Thinking about the EverStart at Walmart since it is only $100, but I haven't had any experience with Walmart on warranty replacement for batteries. Not sure if it's as easy to do a warranty swap as an auto parts store. Anyone have experience with the EverStart? Otherwise, I might go with the Autozone Duralast Gold for $136 or Honda battery for $152 as warranty swap outs should be easy. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did a ton of battery MFG research over the past few years. researching many different forums. I believe Eastern Penn makes the best battery. I do not work for them. they go under the brand name of Deka and a few more.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
I favor the Napa Legend AGM batteries . Having no issues with mine after two years, They’ll ask you what car it’s going into for warranty purposes. Often discounted but it sounds like yours is about to die, so be quick!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @xGS for the video. Didn't expect to get a comparison test to help me decide.

I favor the Napa Legend AGM batteries . Having no issues with mine after two years, They’ll ask you what car it’s going into for warranty purposes. Often discounted but it sounds like yours is about to die, so be quick!
If I lived in an area where batteries lasted between 5 and 7 years, I would probably go with the NAPA over the other ones with just a 3 year warranty.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
Battery quality and warranties have crumbled in recent years.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,877 Posts
I would look at an Optima battery. They stand up better in hot weather. They are a little more expensive. ACDelco batteries are good in hot weather,

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EX.
12 Posts
Have been using NAPA batteries sense the 70’s and have had very good luck with them, knock on wood. Just installed one in the wife’s 2010 pilot about a month ago.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The local BJ's wholesale near me started carrying IBX batteries that are 'powered by Interstate Batteries' according to the sign. They have the 24F battery for $90 with a 30 month warranty. Probably would have gotten their interstate rebrand if it had a 36 month warranty, but I decided on getting the Walmart EverStart Maxx instead. For just under $100, the EverStart Maxx seems to have the best price/warranty combo for my needs.

On my way to Walmart, I decided to stop at Advance Auto and have them check this 10.5v battery that can still magically start the car. Their battery tester showed a cell was bad - no surprise there. But there was another surprise - this time a good one. The clerk offered to swap it out even though the warranty on the prior purchase had expired a few weeks ago. I guess they took pity since it was the same month. So now I have a new Die Hard Gold battery for free.

I guess I'll have to check again in two or three years when this one goes bad.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
On my way to Walmart, I decided to stop at Advance Auto and have them check this 10.5v battery that can still magically start the car. Their battery tester showed a cell was bad - no surprise there. But there was another surprise - this time a good one. The clerk offered to swap it out even though the warranty on the prior purchase had expired a few weeks ago. I guess they took pity since it was the same month. So now I have a new Die Hard Gold battery for free.

I guess I'll have to check again in two or three years when this one goes bad.
The replacement battery does not come with a new three-year replacement warranty.
The warranty is based on the date of purchase for the original battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts