Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at all the wiring diagrams in the service manual for my 04 Pilot, looking for a 12v line that's hot whenever the vehicle is running so I can tap into it for a rear-looking mini dashcam that I want to put facing out the rear window. I'm familiar with the wiring in the tailgate from earlier this year when I installed a backup camera and tapped into the backup lamp to use as the power and trigger for the backup cam. But what I need now is a wire that's always got 12v on it. I can't find anything in the wiring diagrams and I can't think of anything in the tailgate that's hot like that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Does your model have the "not a cigarette lighter" 12v plug near the emergency jack cubby?

Not exactly the tailgate, but may be close enough if there’s nothing suitable in the tailgate per se. I was thinking of powering a rear dashcam (oxymoron alert :D) from there.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does your model have the "not a cigarette lighter" 12v plug near the emergency jack cubby?

Not exactly the tailgate, but may be close enough if there’s nothing suitable in the tailgate per se. I was thinking of powering a rear dashcam (oxymoron alert :D) from there.
I've got that, but I really don't want to run a wire from that outlet, up to the hinges, through the little rubber tube, and into the gate. I ran the backup cam and satellite ratio antenna antenna through that tube and there's not any more room to fish a wire though.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Cargo light?
Maybe, but I thought it only got power when the rear door is open?
That's what I assume, as well. However, where is the line for the cargo light just before it gets to the latch switch? Is that perhaps always hot? (Like last summer's job :))

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
How about the trailer wiring plug? Only downside is that it’s ignition only.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Maybe, but I thought it only got power when the rear door is open?
Isn’t there is a switch setting on the tail gate to make the cargo light stay on which could drain the battery like a leaving the dome light on overnight on some vehicles. Your new powered device could create a parasitic drain that leaves you in a no-start situation.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I've looked at all the wiring diagrams in the service manual for my 04 Pilot, looking for a 12v line that's hot whenever the vehicle is running so I can tap into it for a rear-looking mini dashcam that I want to put facing out the rear window. I'm familiar with the wiring in the tailgate from earlier this year when I installed a backup camera and tapped into the backup lamp to use as the power and trigger for the backup cam. But what I need now is a wire that's always got 12v on it. I can't find anything in the wiring diagrams and I can't think of anything in the tailgate that's hot like that. Any ideas?
I'm not sure about the 04 but on my 12 the hot side of the rear hatch glass relay is always hot. (see red arrow)

I don't see a connector between the relay and the actuator so it must be in the hatch. The powered hatch closer may be wired the same way although mine has a lockout when the doors are locked.

If you don't have either on the 04, then feel free to disregard this whole message.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure about the 04 but on my 12 the hot side of the rear hatch glass relay is always hot. (see red arrow)

I don't see a connector between the relay and the actuator so it must be in the hatch. The powered hatch closer may be wired the same way although mine has a lockout when the doors are locked.

If you don't have either on the 04, then feel free to disregard this whole message.

View attachment 143363
Unfortunately there's no hatch glass relay on the 04.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn’t there is a switch setting on the tail gate to make the cargo light stay on which could drain the battery like a leaving the dome light on overnight on some vehicles. Your new powered device could create a parasitic drain that leaves you in a no-start situation.
yeah, I wouldn't want to tap into that, I need a line that's only hot when the engine is running, that way the camera shuts off when the power goes off. I think I'm just going to have to run a separate line from the accessory jack on the side of the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,846 Posts
My wife just drove off with the Pilot so I can’t confirm at the moment, but I pretty sure aggrex is correct that there is a switch on the rear hatch light. And if there is a switch then constant power must be nearby.

If you have to tap into that wire check out Posi-Taps. Those do significantly less damage to the tapped wire compared to a t-tap.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,846 Posts
Disregard my last comment. I missed the part where you want switched power and not constant power.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Isn’t there is a switch setting on the tail gate to make the cargo light stay on which could drain the battery like a leaving the dome light on overnight on some vehicles.
Unlike a refrigerator light, which everyone knows stays on when you close the door :D, I believe the cargo light switch is for always off, or on only when the cargo door (tailgate hatch) is open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What I did was run a new line from the battery to the rear storage compartment below the floor, where the head rests can be stored.

I ran the power into a Blue Sea Systems 12 Device Split Fuse Box. The constant power goes to section "A". Then I ran a line from "A" to "B", except I installed a Bosch 75 amp 12 volt relay in this cable; thus "B" is now controlled by a relay. For the relay activation, I made a "T" tap into the power from the rear cigarette outlet socket.

Section "A" has constant power to the battery, while section "B" has switched power that comes on when the key is switched to "ACC". This works great for a rear dash camera with parking mode, as now I can provide both power leads to tell the camera when it is in parking mode vs. driving / full recording mode.

Here are the parts I used:
  1. 12 Device Fuse Box, Split with Ground
  2. Bosch 75 amp 12 volt Relay
As for the wiring and getting to your rear windshield, you'll have to either use the existing rubber conduit or else add your own new conduit. You could potentially run the cables without a conduit, but this would be less ideal as the cables may not be as protected. Just be sure to avoid any pinching of the cables, especially if you don't use a conduit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What I did was run a new line from the battery to the rear storage compartment below the floor, where the head rests can be stored.
@andywatson - I just made a new post with photos to show how this turned out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts