Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have "inherited" my wife's Pilot, aka she wanted something new. It is time to refresh the suspension with new struts and shocks. Here's my purchase list, please let me know if I am overlooking anything. Thanks!

Front end:
1. Bilstein B6 struts
2. Strut bellow kits
3. Strut mounts
4. Sway bar links
5. Sway bar bushings

Rear end:
1. Bilstein B6 shock
2. Sway bar links
3. Sway bar bushings

What am I overlooking? Should the OE springs be replaced?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
So you are getting just the struts for the front, not the preloaded struts with new springs?

On one hand springs are easy to replace while you are in there, on the other I can't say I see a lot of Pilots with weird sags indicating the springs are bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you are getting just the struts for the front, not the preloaded struts with new springs?

On one hand springs are easy to replace while you are in there, on the other I can't say I see a lot of Pilots with weird sags indicating the springs are bad.
Bilsteins only offered as separate strut, no loaded kits.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Bilsteins only offered as separate strut, no loaded kits.
Unless you feel like your Pilot is sagging, I wouldn't worry about replacing the springs.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would not mess with springs personally, they can be known to sag over time, but ours have 111k and still have excellent rear camber. I think you got it.

Why sway bar bushings and new links? Just assuming they are shot and trying to stiffen up the ride and handling?

How do your compliance bushings look on your control arms? They can give a lot under cornering when they are shot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not mess with springs personally, they can be known to sag over time, but ours have 111k and still have excellent rear camber. I think you got it.

Why sway bar bushings and new links? Just assuming they are shot and trying to stiffen up the ride and handling?

How do your compliance bushings look on your control arms? They can give a lot under cornering when they are shot.
Compliance bushings were updated after Honda admitted they were a problem. I just feel it would be best to replace all that rubber while I am in there on the end links and bushings.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Refresh? Is anything sagging, loose, banging or knocking? Unless you've got some symptoms, I'd leave these alone.

·
Registered
591 Posts
wasn‘t there a recall or TSB on those?
There was an extended warranty program which extended the coverage on these bushings. If they were determined to be defective, they would be replaced up to 8 years and 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Refresh? Is anything sagging, loose, banging or knocking? Unless you've got some symptoms, I'd leave these alone.
Yeah, thinking refresh. Can't tell if anything is sagging as this is my "new" vehicle. I didn't drive it much before it was handed over to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After input on this thread and reading a few others, I am going to try just an install of the Bilstein B6 all around. Luckily there isn't any noise coming from any of the corners, so I'll see what happens. I'll also be installing a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3 4S in the OE size as the deal I got from tirebuyer.com was great and we'll start using this as a light off paved road explorer for some camping and fishing.

·
Registered
544 Posts

At 118,000 miles, sway bar bushings and links are probably worn. That said, then they should be making some clunking noise on bumps if they're shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After input on this thread and reading a few others, I am going to try just an install of the Bilstein B6 all around.
Assuming you are doing the install on your own, I'd love an update (ease of job and time needed) on how this project works out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did all of this over the summer. The most difficult part was removing the sway bar links and getting the bottom bolt out of the rear shocks. I eventually had to cut them out. You may want to consider ordering the bottom bolts for the rear shocks, due to this. Also, I went with the Honda struts. I initially installed aftermarket and they were noisy (tried 2 different sets before this). Good luck!

·
Registered
591 Posts
After input on this thread and reading a few others, I am going to try just an install of the Bilstein B6 all around. Luckily there isn't any noise coming from any of the corners, so I'll see what happens. I'll also be installing a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3 4S in the OE size as the deal I got from tirebuyer.com was great and we'll start using this as a light off paved road explorer for some camping and fishing.
Didya do it yet?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts