Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 Honda Pilot Ex noticed it started smoking under the hood. Opened it and it it smelled and smoking a ton. Plus it was making a noise. What could be my problem? I could not load video but I upload video to the group Honda Pilot owners if you want to check it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
I didn't find the video. Maybe put on YouTube?
Is the smell like burning rubber?
Possibly the serpentine belt tensioner is failing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh it’s there. I can try YouTube never put a video on there. I’m not good as describing things. I thought it smelled like cooking on grill

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Oh it’s there. I can try YouTube never put a video on there. I’m not good as describing things. I thought it smelled like cooking on grill
I'd remove serpentine belt and spin the tensioner bearing. If the bearing is nice and smooth, I'd check the AC pulley. Something is seizing up or something got caught up in the belt.

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
I'd remove serpentine belt and spin the tensioner bearing. If the bearing is nice and smooth, I'd check the AC pulley. Something is seizing up or something got caught up in the belt.
Looking at the photos, there's smoke coming up from the area of the serpentine belt and he's down at least a quart of oil.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
If it’s the bearing or ac pulley where the smoke and smell come from??
The belt not turning the pulley but sliding around it. The friction will make the belt smoke, get hot until it breaks.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,648 Posts
Is it just me, or is there a buildup of sludge on the end of the dipstick?

I agree with Nail Grease on where the smoke is coming from.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Yeah but after like 15mins when I turned it on it stopped smoking but still the noise
A bad pulley will turn for a while, get hot and seize. Then the belt breaks. A thorough inspection is needed.

·
Registered
583 Posts
For reference, here is what my oil looked like on the dipstick with about 15% oil life remaining after about 6 months and 6,000 miles since the last oil change (Honda syn blend also).

For some reason, yours looks more solid than liquid in the photo you shared.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It my alternator making the noise. He didn’t see it smoking so I’m gonna have the belt replaced

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,648 Posts
If the alternator is making the noise will replacing the belt make the noise go away? I highly doubt it. As @Nail Grease mentioned the likelier cause is a bad pulley on the alternator. The belt didn’t smoke on its own.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts