Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Pilot Touring 170k miles. Lot of in town short drives carpool lines with 2 to 3 long 800 mile trips per year.
CEL on. Changed both downstream O2 sensors as they had these codes. Cleared codes. Driven around 400 miles. CEL back on with p0138 141 and 161.
Is it possible to have purchased two bad O2 sensors?
Is it possible the wiring leading up to the O2 sensor could have a short? Any idea how to check it?
Should I have changed the cat as well?

Sent from my SM-A102U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
There is a chance the issue is the brand O2 sensors, for example Bosch seems to get a bad rap. Get the cat inspected/tested and proven it's a problem before replacing.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What brand sensor did you install? The p0141 & 61 are O2 sensor heater circuit codes. Did you have these two codes before you changed the sensors?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What brand sensor did you install? The p0141 & 61 are O2 sensor heater circuit codes. Did you have these two codes before you changed the sensors?
Picked up the o2 sensors off Amazon. Same part # for both sensors.
I did have heater circuit codes before sensor change. Which makes me question the wiring.
Does anyone know the ports on the ECM plug that correspond to plugs at the O2 sensors?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice on checking/testing cat. Thank you

Does anyone have a good wiring diagram? Pdf preferably

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked up the o2 sensors off Amazon. Same part # for both sensors.
I did have heater circuit codes before sensor change. Which makes me question the wiring.
Does anyone know the ports on the ECM plug that correspond to plugs at the O2 sensors?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
P0138 can be caused by a to rich condition.
I always start with the easiest. Make sure your air filter is clean and clean your mass air flow sensor (MAF). Remove it and spray 2 or 3 burst of CRC Electronic Cleaner. Let dry, reinstall. Clear P0138 code and see if it returns.
Is your engine running rough?
Have your spark plugs been replaced? Examine each plug to see if any are fouled.
If your down a cylinder, unburnt fuel can cause P0138. Do all cylinders have spark? Check for a bad coil.
If your still not fixed then you get into fuel injectors or fuel pressure issues.
It's important to fix this code because a rich condition reduces the life of your catalytic converters.
Only buy branded 87 octane fuel.
I'm very wary of aftermarket O2 sensors. I would stick to Denso.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts