Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Honda Pilot ex. I heard the upper models like touring have a better windshield. acoustic glass is that true?

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
144 Posts
Supposedly (Touring does). Definitely costs a crapton more to replace.
I live where a windshield is a wearing part (need to replace one every 2-3 years due to cracks and/or microabrasion), been a while since I had original glass on it. Last windshield installed is the noisiest in 9 years, but, ah well, it is what it is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an '09 Touring and when I needed to replace the windshield @ Safelite it was a learning experience. Had to confirm that they were putting in an acoustic grade replacement and they had to confirm with insurance company and order the windshield. They were going to put in a regular windshield if I did not stop them initially. Tech told me that it was an expensive windshield hence they did not stock it normally.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In 2011 (10 years ago) the cost for an Electrochromic Mirror Solar Acoustic Interlayer Windshield from Safelite was $777.65 installed.
Parts - $594
Labor - $140
Tax - $44

I guess you can pull one from the junkyard but who's putting it in if you go that route?

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
144 Posts
You guys have it effin easy down south.
In Canada, last year I was quoted $2500 by the dealer. Cheapest (proper) aftermarket was still around $900.
Generic aftermarket was $300 installed. Guess which one I have in my car?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
WTH is it? Quieter in the SUV? Quieter outside going down the road? What?

How much quieter could it be?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ll install the glass in the doors myself. I was asking how can you tell if the doors are the acoustic glass?

·
Registered
2020 Acura TLX A-Spec; 2006 Honda Pilot EXL- AWD
18 Posts
I’ll install the glass in the doors myself. I was asking how can you tell if the doors are the acoustic glass?
If you roll down the front windows on an Acura MDX or TLX Advance models you will notice a small channel at the top of the glass. That is the sign it is two pieces of glass with polyvinyl (pvb) laminated in between. It is the two front side windows not the rear windows.
I am not sure if Honda Touring models have it as well. The lower Honda trims certainly would not. God knows Honda needs to do something to quiet the noise in a Pilot.

·
Registered
2020 Acura TLX A-Spec; 2006 Honda Pilot EXL- AWD
18 Posts
WTH is it? Quieter in the SUV? Quieter outside going down the road? What?

How much quieter could it be?
Significantly. Acura uses it on its top models and some other high lines use it for all side windows. Laminated and acoustic glass is one in the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts