Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. For a couple weeks, my 11 Pilot started making a whining noise. Today, the VMT-4 and battery light came on. I turned it off and tried to restart it and all of the dash lights started blinking and it wouldn't start. I called the Honda service center and they think it sounds like the alternator. What do you think? Also, if so, average repair charges? Thank you.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,320 Posts
Hello. For a couple weeks, my 11 Pilot started making a whining noise. Today, the VMT-4 and battery light came on. I turned it off and tried to restart it and all of the dash lights started blinking and it wouldn't start. I called the Honda service center and they think it sounds like the alternator. What do you think? Also, if so, average repair charges? Thank you.
Sounds like a alternator. If your near a major auto parts store, they will diagnose for free. Dealership will hit you for $100+ just to diagnose.

Reactions: Mcmanut02

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Check the battery also since while the startup process goes the battery is the major player until the engine starts. After that the Alternator takes over to charge the system. If the Alternator was indeed not charging the system you may also have a really dead battery on your hands.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Then...My neighbor jumped it and it started. Going in reverse, it started " jumping" like it couldn't get into gear? Alternator?Transmission?Thanks!
I'd check the grounding cables.
Negative battery terminal cable to frame.
Frame to Transmission.
Frame to Engine.
May need to clean connections or replace if corroded.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My alternator was done a year ago and it was about $450-$500 at local shops. More at the dealer. Be sure to get the Denso remanufactured alternator.

Also, it is worth checking the old alternator for any oil residue. There is common leak location right near the dipstick. Best to be sure you are leak free before you put in another alternator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. Also I was wondering if the Alternator has anything to do with the Timing belt and everything they replace when replacing the Timing belt as I just had that done last Fall...Any connection? Thank you.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Thank you. Also I was wondering if the Alternator has anything to do with the Timing belt and everything they replace when replacing the Timing belt as I just had that done last Fall...Any connection? Thank you.
No conection.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Let us know if you got the oil drip/stain on top of your alternator. The oil leak at the dipstick will be an additional repair that must be done first.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Be sure to fully charge the battery before running the new alternator. A nearly dead battery will put an extreme load on the new alternator, and can even cause it to fail.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,365 Posts
Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
12,320 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,365 Posts
That would be if I walked up to their parts counter and bought the part there.
They would refund the diagnostic fee ($175) if repairs were done there.
I imagine the bill would be $900 for the alternator replacement at my local dealer given $175 shop rate where I live.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.