Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Honda Pilot Touring, 120K miles, cold, cold MIDWEST.

Was about to embark on a cross country round trip and had timing belt and water pump coming up along with oil change, so decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and get it all done before the trip. $1900 later it was done, apparently the front spool valve was leaking oil, and the side engine motor mount was torn, which is where the extra $900 comes from.

What the heck man, jus spent an hour reading up on this in google and this forum but can someone ELI5 what I did wrong here?

Or is just a time/wear issue and nothing I could have done.. .

Also a few quick questions

• WHY does my Right side drivers mirror always move when I shift to reverse? So annoying and dangerous, and it puzzles the heck out of me that ONLY the passenger side does it..
  • How does one update the gps maps, is there more than one source or just Honda?
  • ANYONE have recommendations on running boards, is it a DIY or not?
  • The license Plate holder is now missing 3/4 screws, and the last one is rusted in, how do I get out, what do I replace with?
  • Anyone have "cooL' aftermarket rims on their Pilot? Any negatives?

Tons more questions but I think thats it for now..

thanks in advance!

oNe

·
Registered
9,437 Posts

Was about to embark on a cross country round trip and had timing belt and water pump coming up along with oil change, so decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and get it all done before the trip. $1900 later it was done, apparently the front spool valve was leaking oil, and the side engine motor mount was torn, which is where the extra $900 comes from.

What the heck man, jus spent an hour reading up on this in google and this forum but can someone ELI5 what I did wrong here?

Or is just a time/wear issue and nothing I could have done.. .
How much did they charge for the engine mount replacement? They should have charged you just for the part because it's removed when doing the TB WP job.
And I'm very suspicious of your needing a spool valve job at 120k miles. Age could be a factor if mostly city driving, but that job usually falls around 200k miles. Are there any before and after photos. If not, take a photo of the Oil dipstick tube/holder and post here please.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
Sean Price, post: 1647373, member: 38265"]

Also a few quick questions

• WHY does my Right side drivers mirror always move when I shift to reverse? So annoying and dangerous, and it puzzles the heck out of me that ONLY the passenger side does it.
Set the mirror selector switch in the middle. Which ever mirror the switch I’is positioned for gives a ground view in reverse. No mirror selected, no ground view.
  • How does one update the gps maps, is there more than one source or just Honda?
Honda or nothing. That generation was Honda’s proprietory system
  • ANYONE have recommendations on running boards, is it a DIY or not?
Depends on the running boards you choose and your skill level. For my 2020 passport if I buy OEM running boards they just bolt right on as Honda has the bolt holes tapped and ready to go. Aftermarket runningboards can all be different you would just have to see how what you choose installs.
  • The license Plate holder is now missing 3/4 screws, and the last one is rusted in, how do I get out, what do I replace with?
Best way to get it out use a screw extractor. You may have to drill it out if it’s too stuck. First I would try a lubricating oil that penetrates, so that it could loosen the rust. Go to the local auto parts store and they should be able to tell you what size and thread pattern screws you need to replace the ones that are missing. If you spend a few pennies more for the stainless steel versions you shouldn’t have this issue the next time.
  • Anyone have "cooL' aftermarket rims on their Pilot? Any negatives?
i’m happy with the OEM rims that came on my passport. Otherwise I would’ve had the rims I wanted bought and paid for and had them installed when I purchased the vehicle. That way at least I could get some of my money back by selling the OEM rims For a better price as they would’ve never been used. For me the negative is paying for something like rims since I already have perfectly good rims that came with the vehicle.
Tons more questions but I think thats it for now..

thanks in advance!

oNe

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
yah like baby yoda ..the passport is a baby Pilot .. some like em some don't :)

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
yah like baby yoda ..the passport is a baby Pilot .. some like em some don't :)
Au contraire Pierre.......

The first generation Passport came out in 1993, the second generation in 1998, and the third generation in 2019.

The Pilot came out in 2002, the second generation in 2009, and the third generation in 2016. It is the Pilot that is the younger brother to the Passport.

And as with the Passport it is also true about the Pilot, some like em some don't. 😉

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I hope the OP comes back soon. I fell asleep and my dinner got cold. 😴

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

The first generation Passport came out in 1993, the second generation in 1998, and the third generation in 2019.

The Pilot came out in 2002, the second generation in 2009, and the third generation in 2016. It is the Pilot that is the younger brother to the Passport.

And as with the Passport it is also true about the Pilot, some like em some don't. 😉
Actually it's all about the size :p

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
Wouldn't the spool valve also have added to the $900 extra? Between that and the motor mount it seems like a semi-reasonable price (typical mechanic mark up).

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Others have covered most of the bases. The only thing I'll add is that the threads for the running boards tend to get gunked up as the vehicle gets older. When I installed the running boards on our '15 I ended up using a tap to clean the threads on all but 1 or 2 of the mounting points. If I couldn't get the bolt to start clean or go all the way in clean I backed it out and ran the tap as a thread cleaner.

Reactions: mmmmark

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much did they charge for the engine mount replacement? They should have charged you just for the part because it's removed when doing the TB WP job.
And I'm very suspicious of your needing a spool valve job at 120k miles. Age could be a factor if mostly city driving, but that job usually falls around 200k miles. Are there any before and after photos. If not, take a photo of the Oil dipstick tube/holder and post here please.
Have to admit, dipstick area looks brand new now...remember it being dirty as in oil in that area dirty, figured I had spilled some during oil level checks? However at the same time I stopped doing the oil changes myself a year or 2 back. Didn't make sense when the cheapest full synthetic oil+filter, from Wal-Mart at that, was still more expensive then the dealers(w/coupon) $30 for full synth oil change deal.

Looking at the bill again, no labor charge for the side engine motor mount, just a $50 engine diagnose "fee", and then $84.08 for the actual part, Rubber Assy, for a total of $134.08.

Front spool valve was a different story, bill says, $208.50 engine general repair and $262.42 for the actual part, fr. spool valve, for a total of $470.92.

I have attached pics as requested as well.

Pilot 4.jpg Pilot 3.jpg Pilot 2.jpg Pilot 1.jpg

Thanks,

Sean P

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Have to admit, dipstick area looks brand new now...remember it being dirty as in oil in that area dirty, figured I had spilled some during oil level checks? However at the same time I stopped doing the oil changes myself a year or 2 back. Didn't make sense when the cheapest full synthetic oil+filter, from Wal-Mart at that, was still more expensive then the dealers(w/coupon) $30 for full synth oil change deal.

Looking at the bill again, no labor charge for the side engine motor mount, just a $50 engine diagnose "fee", and then $84.08 for the actual part, Rubber Assy, for a total of $134.08.

Front spool valve was a different story, bill says, $208.50 engine general repair and $262.42 for the actual part, fr. spool valve, for a total of $470.92.

I have attached pics as requested as well.

View attachment 136140 View attachment 136141 View attachment 136142 View attachment 136143

Thanks,

Sean P

The green arrow is on your VVT Solinoid assembly. (New, Replaced) Yes, the gasket between this and the spool can begin to leak. The part online cost about $80 and takes 10 minutes to install (3 bolts).
The Red arrow is on your spool. (Old, not replaced)
If they charged you for a spool job, you need to go back and talk to them. To remove the spool requires removing the intake manifold and valve cover. Much more expensive job if this is leaking between the spool and head.
Let us know how they charged you if you think you got a problem.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
The only other thing I could add is there are now some parts companies offering just the gaskets. So if your old solenoid and preasure switch was still good then this could be a $8.88 DIY fix. Unless your spool valve was actually leaking.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Front spool valve was a different story, bill says, $208.50 engine general repair and $262.42 for the actual part, fr. spool valve, for a total of $470.92
Sorry, I see you posted the charges for the job. You did not get a new spool valve, so $470.92 is excessive for replacing your VVT Solinoid assembly.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I see you posted the charges for the job. You did not get a new spool valve, so $470.92 is excessive for replacing your VVT Solinoid assembly.
Bill.jpg

^^ Here is the exact bill and charges.

Before I raise some ire,, does what the bill show I was charged for.... match up with the oil/dipstick pictures work?

I'd like to consider myself a bit handy but this valve and spool talk is a bit over my change the oil/sparkplugs work I usually do.

please advise

Sean P

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
View attachment 136159

^^ Here is the exact bill and charges.

Before I raise some ire,, does what the bill show I was charged for.... match up with the oil/dipstick pictures work?

I'd like to consider myself a bit handy but this valve and spool talk is a bit over my change the oil/sparkplugs work I usually do.

please advise

Sean P
The bill is incorrect.
Job #5 is not what work was done, as explained in previous post with picture showing what is your spool valve. Only the VVT solenoid assembly bolted on top of your spool was. If they bought the part they replaced at Oreilly's auto parts and doubled it, your part cost should be around $200. Since they cleaned the oil off, you'd be generous at 30 minutes worth of labor.
The other thing I would say is some Auto parts only sell the entire assembly. This may cost a little more. If they did that, they kept the new spool and only gave you the VVT solenoid.
And also as noted, if you had no Check Engine Light, your VVT solenoid was good and the gaskets to stop the leak are now available for a fraction of the price. They may or may not know this and sold you a part you didn't need.
If they want to be fair, they should knock off at least $200.

Reactions: aggrex and ConrodM

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Passport was Honda's first step into SUV land. Technically it was really an Isuzu and rebadged as a Honda. They may have made some minor changes but not many if any initially.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts