Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the new Pilot across the country. The car(and the children!) did great. No complaints. If remained comfortable the whole way. I had never done much driving, and with the exception of REALLY wishing I'd gotten XM radio, all was good. Gas mileage was not what I'd hoped for. Some tanks all highway were as low as 15-16. Some higher. Didn't seem to matter if it was mountains or flat, really hot or more moderate. I've just decided on that front, the car is a dud and there isn't much that can be done about it.

I saw a fair number of Pilots along the way. I wondered if any of the drivers were any of you....but all the people just seemed to be driving and not noticing there was another Pilot near them, so I'm guessing I didn't see anyone from here! :) Sandstone was by far the most common color I saw. Silver is the most common here, so I was surprised that I only saw one other Silver that I remember(in Memphis) Lots of Sandstone on I 70.

The DVD player was an enormous asset to the trip. I had been buying DVD's and putting them in a box not be watched until the trip. I had an entire hiking boot box full and the kids self paced themselves through them. The RES worked great. I had said all along that the navigation would have been great for the trip, but long term the DVD was more important. I found I really didn't need the NAV (with the exception of in NM.) Never trust Yahoo Driving directions. They consistantly got me the right interstate, but once you need something more detailed than that......Yahoo was always wrong. They told me to get off of interstates well before I should have and took me into the cities I needed on little roads when it turns out had I stayed on the interstate, there would have been a direct exit. I ended up going at it alone and did fine.

No complaints about the car at all. It was comfortable, dependable and I never found that it was lacking something I needed. It was good purchase decision.....just sorry that 4 or so months into ownership that I've got over 10,000 miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Milage

That milage just doesn't sound good. I have never gone under 17 even in around town/mid winter driving.
Have you checked with other service departments?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
great you loved the vehicle..but your mileage seems kind'a low...I typically get 16 on my regular city driving...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I agree. Mileage is awful....get about 11 in town. It has been to the dealer several times to be checked. There doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" they say....I think I just got one of the duds in terms of mileage. There seem to be a couple of us here, that despite the car not having a detectable problem, and despite cautious driving(nothing that would create a drain on the mpg) we just get bad mileage. Since it isn't a safety issue, I don't think it would be covered under the lemon law.....I'll just have to go to the pump a lot more often than most Pilot owners. Light comes on before 200 miles in town. At least it was better than 11 with 100% highway miles.

·
Registered
481 Posts
my3kids said:
Gas mileage was not what I'd hoped for. Some tanks all highway were as low as 15-16. Some higher. Didn't seem to matter if it was mountains or flat, really hot or more moderate. I've just decided on that front, the car is a dud and there isn't much that can be done about it.
Try running the Pilot with the Heating/Cooling system in Auto (turning the A/C) on when needed rather than Full Auto at your set temperature.

This made a world of difference for our gas mileage.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Cargo Weight?

Did you carry a lot of cargo? Could the weight of that plus passengers effect gas mileage?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: Re: 10,000 miles and a coast to coast journey....

vellinga said:

Try running the Pilot with the Heating/Cooling system in Auto (turning the A/C) on when needed rather than Full Auto at your set temperature.

This made a world of difference for our gas mileage.
I think the A/C is on whether in Auto or Full Auto, both settings are still maintaining the set temp based on readings from the sensors. This two settings should not be much different from eeach other.

I do turn off (I hope) the rear A/C by pressing the rear control button when there are no passengers in the back. Not sure if it makes much of a difference in mileage economy, though:confused:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
my3kids: Glad to hear that you had a (somewhat) successful journey -- just seems so bizarre that your gas mileage stinks... :( Can't believe that the Honda Techs have no idea why your mileage is so crappy, even after 10,000+ miles... :confused:

Also, if the Yahoo! maps are not as accurate as you'd like, have you considered getting the Garmin StreetPilot III for your next cross country jaunt? :8:

·
Registered
103 Posts
my3kids said:
Mileage is awful....get about 11 in town. It has been to the dealer several times to be checked.
You might want to pursue this issue -- 11 mi. per gal. is much too low to be considered as "just a dud". We run our AC all the time here in the deep south and we consistently get at least 15.5. On the highway we get more, around 20.5 or so. Don't give in -- they certainly should take your complaints seriously.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
****Warning....family slideshow quality talk ahead. Get out while you still can******

Another interesting factoid about our trip....temperatures varied from 42' to 117'. I think something about in the middle would be best, but we enjoyed seeing the differences around the country so much that we didn't let the weather get us down......and there isn't much to get you down with warm sunny dry southwest air. We saw wild bighorn sheep in Joshua Tree coming into an oasis to drink....that was great. We hiked into the Grand Canyon and went to the top of Pike's Peak. Saw Disneyland and White Sands(where Yahoo maps really messed up. Might get a Street Pilot for another trip!) We were witness to the terrible fire in the Tucson area in the Santa Catalina Mtns. We could see the flames from our resort. We went to the top of the arch in St. Louis and to the Oklahoma City Memorial. The Science Museum in Nashville is wonderful for those Piloting through TN with children, as is the one in Phoenix. I can't imagine the driving I did though without the Pilot's RES system. There are some huge bugs though in Arkansas and Eastern OK that love that Pilot windshield. Have no idea what was finding that huge windshield, but had to find a car wash because I couldn't see anymore! Also, the views from the car were pretty incredible in NM during an enormous thunderstorm. Before the rain started it was like watching an IMAX movie on lightening. The car did great on the whole trip. Can't imagine undertaking the trip in my former vehicle. Love the Pilot.

·
Registered
804 Posts
my3kids said:
****Warning....family slideshow quality talk ahead. Get out while you still can******
How long was your trip? What about the slideshow? Did you get any pics? Good thing you missed the hurricane coming through.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We were gone for a month. Not really a slide show....just a warning for those who didn't want to be captured in someone elses' vacation memories to exit quickly! I did get some amazing digital pictures of the landscape and the family....but the car only happened to be in a couple!

I did chat for a moment with someone in the El Tovar parking lot who had the identical EXL Sagebrush Pilot(w/TX plates.) Never saw an Evergreen one the whole month. Saw a number of Havasu driving in the west but have never seen one in the wild in Virginia. Saw a ton of in stock Pilots in Tucson. The dealer had a couple of rows of them, I think. The elements have taken a toll on the Pilot though....I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get it clean again, inside or out! The vow that food will not be consumed in the car kind of went out the window day one of the drive....kind of evolved into leftover hamburgers will not be left in the car in the sun....to a further insult of maybe we can clean the thing out in mid July....to the current, well...it did get us safely home. Maybe the mountians of stuff aren't such bad company.....;)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Great trip-still betting on codes-page 371

My3kids,great trip.We are leaving for the "lite" version of that trip on the 24th-just CO,AZ,NM,UT.
I agree with Cajunpilot,no way your's is just a normal variation mpg wise,and no way is the AC a the determining factor.
The otherwise good performance,and no check engine light still make me think that the "codes" as described on 371 aren't "setting".Several folks on the MDX page had this problem,and it cost them about 2-3 mpg.Since the "computer" sees this delay as "normal" no check engine light will ever come on-until maybe the O2 sensor comes on in 50,000 miles from the rich mixture(maybe 13/1 instead of 14.5/1 or so)
Well,I am guessing of course,but worth mentioning to Honda next communication.Luck,Charlie

·
Registered
804 Posts
Re: Great trip-still betting on codes-page 371

charlie said:
The otherwise good performance,and no check engine light still make me think that the "codes" as described on 371 aren't "setting".Several folks on the MDX page had this problem,and it cost them about 2-3 mpg.Since the "computer" sees this delay as "normal" no check engine light will ever come on-until maybe the O2 sensor comes on in 50,000 miles from the rich mixture(maybe 13/1 instead of 14.5/1 or so)
Do you have a link to this thread, Charlie?

·
Registered
804 Posts
my3kids said:
We were gone for a month. Not really a slide show....just a warning for those who didn't want to be captured in someone elses' vacation memories to exit quickly! I did get some amazing digital pictures of the landscape and the family....but the car only happened to be in a couple!
I haven't been to most of the places you mentioned. Can't wait to see the pics.
So, what would you do differently? Other than the GPS, of course, would you recommend rubber mats, tinted windows, a trash can, more memory, a laptop (if you have one)...?

·
Registered
367 Posts
no link-just searched-mileage or mpg

Ferdball,no I don't remember the exact thread.I went there and hunted under mileage,or mpg.I bet codes would be even a better search word.I will rehunt it,if I get a chance.Luck,Charlie

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took my laptop and have the mats. What a lifesaver I'm sure the mats are.....when I clear off all the debris from the floor I'll have a better idea of the spills they contained. We always had a trash bag, but it could only do so much....

What I would do differently for anyone planning a trip like this one.....I would pick a couple of central locations and stay longer at each one....taking day trips to other areas. We saw tons and it was great, though I got tired of lugging suitcases. There is only one place we went that I fell like could have been easily skipped. I won't mention it in case anyone is from there! I would also have planned the longer drive to be the drive out there instead the drive home. We hurried out and planned lots of stops and interesting things for the way home. By that time, we were just ready to get home....But, all in all, it was great and everything we did was fun. I'm not disappointed by any of the things we did, so the things I would do differently aren't a reflection of a bad time, just maybe a new found knowlege of planning. I'd still get a Pilot for the trip. That was some of the best planning.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts