Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about 10k miles on Pilot. Found a nice 8 inch long piece of metal through the edge of one of my Bridgestones.

I put my used full size Goodyear spare on and the mini-spare back underneath (I'm glad I saved it) so I have time to think this over.

Question is:

Should I buy one or two new tires and keep equal mileage tires on the front and back? In other words, is 10,000 miles of wear enough to affect anything?

I could leave the Goodyear on the LX rim as the spare and save the extra slightly worn Dueler for the next flat (I live in a new development).

Or should I just slap it on and forget it and plan on replacing all four when the older three start to wear out?

BTW, the primary driver and I disagree on this one, so we're sending it to the jury.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Crispy said:
I've got about 10k miles on Pilot. Found a nice 8 inch long piece of metal through the edge of one of my Bridgestones.

I put my used full size Goodyear spare on and the mini-spare back underneath (I'm glad I saved it) so I have time to think this over.

Question is:

Should I buy one or two new tires and keep equal mileage tires on the front and back? In other words, is 10,000 miles of wear enough to affect anything?

I could leave the Goodyear on the LX rim as the spare and save the extra slightly worn Dueler for the next flat (I live in a new development).

Or should I just slap it on and forget it and plan on replacing all four when the older three start to wear out?

BTW, the primary driver and I disagree on this one, so we're sending it to the jury.
Sorry to hear about the ruined tire!! Does the used Goodyear have approximately the same amount of tread as the 3 remaining Bridgestones? If so, and you are concerned about the $$ of all new ones today, I would run the mix and try for as much mileage as possible before buying 4 new ones (and saving the best of the old for the spare). Otherwise, if the $$ is not a major factor, I'd try to see what can get for the 3 Bridgestones on trade for 4 new tires of your choice (keep the Goodyear as the spare since it is all ready on the spare rim).

HTH

·
Registered
88 Posts
Replacing one tire

Just recently saw a show on TV, not sure which one, that cited caution when replacing a single tire and thus trying to avoid the replacement of all 4 tires at once.

The concern lies with today's 4 wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles that can sense a difference between the circumference of a worn tire and a new one. The worn tires, with a smaller circumference, will rotate faster than a new tire with a larger circumference. The vehicle will try to compensate for the difference in rotation, possibly wearing out the clutches prematurely.

Again, I am not an expert, but I recall seeing this and thinking how much sense it made. Was it Motorweek and Pat Goss?

·
Registered
305 Posts
the AWD is definitely a concern. Unfortunately, I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the Honda aWD just yet. My question is, where did the metal puncture the tire? Have you taken it anywhere to see if they can patch it?

My wife got a nail in one of hers a couple of weeks ago. She went to a local shop by where she works and they said it was too close to the sidewall and couldn't fix but wanted to replace. She then took it to the dealer. They said the same thing and ordered her a tire. I told her to bring it home so I can take a look and judge for myself (I've fixed my share of tires back in my garage working days). On her way home, she stopped for gas and just happened to ask the service center there what they thought. They took one look and plugged the tire, aired it up, and put it back on her truck for $10. Its held strong since then. A bit messier of a job than I would have done, but whatever works. :cool:

we canceled the order from the dealership, by the way. They made no comment concerning us being able to fix it when they couldn't (or wouldn't).

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Replacing one tire

supo said:
Just recently saw a show on TV, not sure which one, that cited caution when replacing a single tire and thus trying to avoid the replacement of all 4 tires at once.

The concern lies with today's 4 wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles that can sense a difference between the circumference of a worn tire and a new one. The worn tires, with a smaller circumference, will rotate faster than a new tire with a larger circumference. The vehicle will try to compensate for the difference in rotation, possibly wearing out the clutches prematurely.

Again, I am not an expert, but I recall seeing this and thinking how much sense it made. Was it Motorweek and Pat Goss?
This is clearly a valid concern on true AWD vehicles and mainly why I asked if the remaining tread was about the same. Granted, there could be some difference in the diameter anyway just due to different brands of tires. The Pilot is more of an "on demand" AWD (except when the VTM button is activated), but maintaining approximately equal diameter tires is an important consideration. Granted, the donut spare is not the same - but you are also cautioned to only use it for "temporary use".

HTH

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the other thread:

2. If the other three are better than 1/2, replace one and rotate a bit more often to even up the tires. Then when the other three need replacing buy four and make the good one a spare.

This bit of advice most closely matches my situation. I can't imagine the other tires being 3% different at this point.

As for the puncture, it is exactly where dukeofjuke's wrench was. Right in the edge where the rolling part meets the sidewall. The tire store guy and I thought it was a nail (only a 1/4 inch or so was exposed) so we started pulling and pulling. It was like the hankerchief magic gag, it just kept coming out. Have no idea how that much metal stayed in the tire long enough to work its way all the way into the tire.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Crispy said:
From the other thread:

2. If the other three are better than 1/2, replace one and rotate a bit more often to even up the tires. Then when the other three need replacing buy four and make the good one a spare.

This bit of advice most closely matches my situation. I can't imagine the other tires being 3% different at this point.

As for the puncture, it is exactly where dukeofjuke's wrench was. Right in the edge where the rolling part meets the sidewall. The tire store guy and I thought it was a nail (only a 1/4 inch or so was exposed) so we started pulling and pulling. It was like the hankerchief magic gag, it just kept coming out. Have no idea how that much metal stayed in the tire long enough to work its way all the way into the tire.

Thanks,
Did the "tire store guy" dismount the tire to inspect the inside? From the picture, the location seems borderline - but if the puncture is "right in the edge" I would think this to be an unsafe location for repair.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I had a place to host a picture, I’d love to show you.

The “tire store guy” was definitely not trying to sell me a new one over fixing the old one. He didn’t even have the Bridgestone. He just said “I won’t patch a tire there because it is unsafe.” Can’t fault him for that. But if there were a circular patch on the inside of the tire it would be at a right angle. Which brings up a question; Why would a patch in this area be unsafe? Would it not hold?

Heck, the tire wasn't even losing air. But I won't let my wife drive around with a tire like that.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Crispy said:
If I had a place to host a picture, I’d love to show you.

The “tire store guy” was definitely not trying to sell me a new one over fixing the old one. He didn’t even have the Bridgestone. He just said “I won’t patch a tire there because it is unsafe.” Can’t fault him for that. But if there were a circular patch on the inside of the tire it would be at a right angle. Which brings up a question; Why would a patch in this area be unsafe? Would it not hold?

Heck, the tire wasn't even losing air. But I won't let my wife drive around with a tire like that.
I think it is because that part of the tire will flex more than the main (flat) part of the thread. "Plug-patches" are a great invention, but they still have their limitations.

·
Registered
747 Posts
For just 10,000 miles on rest 3 tires, I would just buy a new one and rotate tire so the bigger (new) one will appear on front. If the other three have more than 20,000. I would buy 4 new tires.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Crispy said:

Okay, so who won out???? :8:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts