Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
That's a nice price. Maybe you should take your Honda to a Toyota dealership for an oil change.
You actually can nowadays, as they service all the used vehicles they sell (at least my local Toyota dealership does). Toyota carries 0w-20 it鈥檚 what鈥檚 used on my 鈥13 Scion FR-S, but what they charge for Lube Oil Filter is $$$. I鈥檇 rather do it myself and save a fortune. Just need to find a new set of jack stands as the ones I had from Harbor Freight were recalled last year and have now been doing mine by ramps.

Registered
That's a nice price. Maybe you should take your Honda to a Toyota dealership for an oil change. 馃榿
Depends whether or not the Toyota dealer actually uses Toyota oil.
The Honda dealer that did the most recent oil change used CAM2 5W-20 synthetic-blend oil.

Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
Depends whether or not the Toyota dealer actually uses Toyota oil.
The dealer isn't going to use bottled Toyota oil for routine oil changes unless they specifically advertise this or if you pay extra for it and ask for it specifically. No matter how great the pricing is on those bottles of 'Yota oil, it can't compete with the profit margin they make by selling quarts from a bulk drum with an oil lube gun that a tech can just dial in the number of quarts needed.

Same with your local Honda dealer.

Reactions: plplplpl

Registered

Registered
The dealer isn't going to use bottled Toyota oil for routine oil changes unless they specifically advertise this or if you pay extra for it and ask for it specifically. No matter how great the pricing is on those bottles of 'Yota oil, it can't compete with the profit margin they make by selling quarts from a bulk drum with an oil lube gun that a tech can just dial in the number of quarts needed.
But is the Toyota dealer still using that exact same formula of oil in the service department, even if they buy it by the drum in bulk?

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
Ain't nothing wrong with ramps. I use them.
Ain鈥檛 nothing wrong with them, just can鈥檛 rotate tires without jack stands or a lift. Just haven鈥檛 found any reputable jack stands that fit budget and without any recalls in their lineups.

I just have to remind myself to loosen the oil filter while turning the wheels, before heading up the ramps on the next oil change.

Registered
Ain't nothing wrong with ramps. I use them.
Just know that you are leaving some old dirty oil in the oil pan this way. FYI
馃檲

Registered
Just know that you are leaving some old dirty oil in the oil pan this way. FYI
馃檲
Yeah, I figured. But I make up for it by wringing out my beer bottles like a washcloth so I can get every last drop out of it. :)

Also, change oil regularly and double Honda's instructions for an oil filter only every second oil change.

Registered
Yeah, I figured. But I make up for it by wringing out my beer bottles like a washcloth so I can get every last drop out of it. :)

Also, change oil regularly and double Honda's instructions for an oil filter only every second oil change.
Not to tell you what to do or anything like that. Lol, My OCDs get the best of me. "馃"

Reactions: plplplpl

Registered
Ain鈥檛 nothing wrong with them, just can鈥檛 rotate tires without jack stands or a lift. Just haven鈥檛 found any reputable jack stands that fit budget and without any recalls in their lineups.

I just have to remind myself to loosen the oil filter while turning the wheels, before heading up the ramps on the next oil change.
Have you looked at these? Heavy but I trust them.

BIG RED T46002A Torin Steel Jack Stands: Double Locking, 6 Ton (12,000 lb) Capacity, Red, 1 Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00026Z3DQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_DyLaGb6CAC0TW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Registered
On sale at Costco
That seems fair. Doesn't seem like much of a sale price though. Maybe in a few weeks they'll knock off another $5.

Administrator
Just found out that some Toyota's and probably others specify 0-16.....

Registered
That seems fair. Doesn't seem like much of a sale price though. Maybe in a few weeks they'll knock off another $5.
I always seem to spend a lot more at Costco even though their prices are "fair." Just buy a lot more of whatever I went there for. Doesn't Walmart charge a dollar or two less for five quart jugs? (as opposed to 6 quart bottles per box)

Registered
Doesn't Walmart charge a dollar or two less for five quart jugs? (as opposed to 6 quart bottles per box)
Correct, I wouldn't say that this isn't a good deal, it's not a great deal.

Registered
Correct, I wouldn't say that this isn't a good deal, it's not a great deal.
Costco is really good about taking back stuff without asking a lot of questions. You could lower the cost of an oil change by returning the drained oil from the previous purchase.

"I'd like to return this oil. I only used it a couple months and it turned all black and icky."

Wait ... wait!! Don't do it, I'm just kidding!

Registered
All depends, prices are going up. Depending on your location I guess. In Northern Cali, it fluctuates every season.

What does the fine print for the asterisk say? As in "Protects for 10,000 miles - Guaranteed* "
Do you get a free new engine?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts