Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I thought there was a post about it 'evaporating' more?
My personal experience with evaporation was when using Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil.
I have nothing negative to say about their other products simply due to not having used it.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Oh nooo! Maybe it doesn't matter since I don't live in California. Plus I don't wear gloves when I cook or eat although sometimes I'll put one on when I tell my wife I'm going to check her prostrate. Then she runs away screaming that she doesn't have one.

Hmm these are supposed to be good for vets and handling food. Now if we could just get the farmers and food processors to leave the carcinogens out of our food.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Oh nooo! Maybe it doesn't matter since I don't live in California. Plus I don't wear gloves when I cook or eat although sometimes I'll put one on when I tell my wife I'm going to check her prostrate. Then she runs away screaming that she doesn't have one.

Hmm these are supposed to be good for vets and handling food. Now if we could just get the farmers and food processors to leave the carcinogens out of our food.

View attachment 143493
Lol!
Vulcan? 🖖

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd use High Milage oil even when the vehicle is new. I'd assume the molly % is higher (like I know 👨‍🎓).
I've always changed out the oil that came in new cars with Amsoil as soon as possible. But I was careful during the break in period to vary throttle position constantly and heat cycle often without getting too hot or not hot enough, i.e., not babying it and not hot rodding.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I've always changed out the oil that came in new cars with Amsoil as soon as possible. But I was careful during the break in period to vary throttle position constantly and heat cycle often without getting too hot or not hot enough, i.e., not babying it and not hot rodding.
I wouldn't change the oil until you are done the break in period... something about break in oil purposefully not having the additives and other things in them to promote proper wear in?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice list.
No Honda Synthetic Blend tested.
Synthetic blends and Conventionals are most of the worst.
Well the blend probably isn't as good as the full synthetic which is on PQIA, and has I have to say lousy marks for a full synthetic. I certainly wouldn't buy the Honda full syn over another full syn. In fact I'd likely buy the costco oil before the Honda based on PQIA results.

And the full syn PQIA report nails any notion the high moly is Honda's want for running past first fill. The moly is quite low. I know that Honda first fills have high moly but that is in most places sourced from assembly lube (per Honda themselves) and now moly from engine components (widely assumed) because moly was added in 2011 engine changes (per Honda).

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Well the blend probably isn't as good as the full synthetic which is on PQIA, and has I have to say lousy marks for a full synthetic. I certainly wouldn't buy the Honda full syn over another full syn. In fact I'd likely buy the costco oil before the Honda based on PQIA results.

And the full syn PQIA report nails any notion the high moly is Honda's want for running past first fill. The moly is quite low. I know that Honda first fills have high moly but that is in most places sourced from assembly lube (per Honda themselves) and now moly from engine components (widely assumed) because moly was added in 2011 engine changes (per Honda).
Somebody somewhere has bound to have tested Genuine Honda Synthetic Blend 0w20.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd use High Mileage oil even when the vehicle is new. I'd assume the molly % is higher (like I know 👨‍🎓).
'High Mileage' (is your last resort oil) for engines that have leaky seals. It has extra conditioners that make the seals swell to slow the oil leakage. Once you start using this oil, experts recommend not going back to normal oil because the leakage may be worse. People think High Mileage equals better gas mileage, not, that's not the purpose of this type oil.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
89 Posts
Project farm did a great oil comparison. It got good results. Especially for the price
The Project Farm guy is amazing. All of his tests are well structured with well reported findings. The guy must be an Engineer with a hobby farm. You all should follow him on YouTube, much better than main stream TV!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have been using Kirkland 0w20 for the past 60K (car is well over 150). Switched from M1 EP and replace it every 8-9K miles. No difference whatsoever with exception of lighter monetary draw from my pocket. By the way, filter I use is Fram Ultra Synthetic.
I don’t think Costco Kirkland brand will sell garbage given how quickly negative information can spread.

You have much higher chance to damage your engine by using some shops that advertise $24.99 oil change or fill oil from the same pump by claiming it comes from the different can in the basement than using Kirkland brand and replace it yourself with good filter.

good luck to you in your search.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i used this kirkland oil on my last oil change (nov 2020). The oil previous to it was Amazon (and previous to that, mobil 1). So far all things are good.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
'High Mileage' (is your last resort oil) for engines that have leaky seals. It has extra conditioners that make the seals swell to slow the oil leakage. Once you start using this oil, experts recommend not going back to normal oil because the leakage may be worse. People think High Mileage equals better gas mileage, not, that's not the purpose of this type oil.
I use the M1 High Mileage because it was shown on BITOG to have higher zinc and other anti-wear additives, which are more important to me than seal conditioner (unless I have a leak of course). Engines today run so tight they need the best anti-wear package they can get.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Back on topic to @EFICTION 's question:

It's for 5w30, but I would definitely expect the same results for 0w20 with Kirkland.

Based on the chemical analysis, it's likely that Kirkland is Supertech in a different container.

The performance was very good.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Well the blend probably isn't as good as the full synthetic which is on PQIA, and has I have to say lousy marks for a full synthetic. I certainly wouldn't buy the Honda full syn over another full syn.
And the full syn PQIA report nails any notion the high moly is Honda's want for running past first fill. The moly is quite low.
If you want a 0W-20 full synthetic oil with a high molybdenum content, then try Toyota oil.
PETROLEUM QUALITY INSTITUTE OF AMERICA TEST PROGRAM

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Back on topic to @EFICTION 's question:

It's for 5w30, but I would definitely expect the same results for 0w20 with Kirkland.

Based on the chemical analysis, it's likely that Kirkland is Supertech in a different container.

The performance was very good.

Cheers
Amazon, Kirkland or Super Tech is just ok for a 5-6k mile oil change. I wouldn't push it.

Reactions: EFICTION
21 - 40 of 71 Posts