Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

$24.29 for “qty:2” 5QT Bottles!
Has anyone tried this on their vehicles? It’s REALLY CHEAP!!! I’m wondering on the quality of this and how it compares. I’m to lazy to check out results from BobTheOilGuy.

I might pick some up in case there is a Zombie Apocalypse . All my vehicles drink Royal Purple and I stand by their reputation with K&N oil filters. My highest mileage 1989 Toyota 4Runner had 485k (Mobil1-Royal Purple since 2000) and was still going strong until a bunch of thieves stole it from my folks house last Jan2019 (Bay Area, CA) and demolished it joyriding after they took the catalytic converter.

Royal Purple has never failed me
and K&N Oil Filters are IMHO are the best combination, but that’s just my experience and I change my oil every 10k miles.

My 2013 G37 runs smooth with RP and most that convert over to it don’t have that metal ticking sound that other Infiniti owners complain about. It’s talked about on myg37forum constantly.

I’m not there to debate, just giving my .02 on my experience and my honest opinion.

Just really want to know what actual brand Costco is using, if it’s a reputable brand like Mobil1, I’ll probably use this on my Civic and FR-S since it’s REALLY CHEAP since these are my commuter cars that I constantly change oil every 3 months @10k miles each.

Happy holidays and Happy New Year Piloteers!!!

Thank You for all your help throughout the years!!!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,860 Posts

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,350 Posts

$24.29 for “qty:2” 5QT Bottles!
Has anyone tried this on their vehicles? It’s REALLY CHEAP!!! I’m wondering on the quality of this and how it compares. I’m to lazy to check out results from BobTheOilGuy.

I might pick some up in case there is a Zombie Apocalypse . All my vehicles drink Royal Purple and I stand by their reputation with K&N oil filters. My highest mileage 1989 Toyota 4Runner had 485k (Mobil1-Royal Purple since 2000) and was still going strong until a bunch of thieves stole it from my folks house last Jan2019 (Bay Area, CA) and demolished it joyriding after they took the catalytic converter.

Royal Purple has never failed me
and K&N Oil Filters are IMHO are the best combination, but that’s just my experience and I change my oil every 10k miles.

My 2013 G37 runs smooth with RP and most that convert over to it don’t have that metal ticking sound that other Infiniti owners complain about. It’s talked about on myg37forum constantly.

I’m not there to debate, just giving my .02 on my experience and my honest opinion.

Just really want to know what actual brand Costco is using, if it’s a reputable brand like Mobil1, I’ll probably use this on my Civic and FR-S since it’s REALLY CHEAP since these are my commuter cars that I constantly change oil every 3 months @10k miles each.

Happy holidays and Happy New Year Piloteers!!!

Thank You for all your help throughout the years!!!
Man that crazy cheap!
I'ma stick to Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl and PHM

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its made by Warren Labs - same as Supertech and several other store brands. It tests well against name brands according to BITOG forum and many other blogs where I have seen the topic discussed. I would use it with confidence. I regularly use Supertech in my family fleet for all top-off needs. Still go with a name brand for the full oil change on most of them though. No real logic there...just can't bring myself to buy the cheap stuff when I am only changing 2-3 times per year. If I can't get a good deal though I will do the full change with Supertech on the older cars in the fleet.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Its made by Warren Labs - same as Supertech and several other store brands. It tests well against name brands according to BITOG forum and many other blogs where I have seen the topic discussed. I would use it with confidence. I regularly use Supertech in my family fleet for all top-off needs. Still go with a name brand for the full oil change on most of them though. No real logic there...just can't bring myself to buy the cheap stuff when I am only changing 2-3 times per year. If I can't get a good deal though I will do the full change with Supertech on the older cars in the fleet.
It have to meet the minimum specs. I don't deny it's ability to achieve a normal oil change interval. Im pushing for more miles between changes. I'd say this oil is far superior than Honda synthetic blend that some dealerships are giving their loyal customers.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts

·
Registered
10,860 Posts

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Yes, look what Sumitomos did to this poor guy's Pilot. smirk smirk

What? They saved his life. 🤦‍♂️
He got over just in time to avoid something more serious.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to use it. But Walmart is 1/10 the distance of Costco, and I can get filters at the same time... as well as transmission fluid, coolant, quality wiper blades, etc.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to use it. But Walmart is 1/10 the distance of Costco, and I can get filters at the same time... as well as transmission fluid, coolant, quality wiper blades, etc.
Also, Wal-Mart ships to your home for free on a $35 order. I use this service all the time.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,196 Posts
Also, Wal-Mart ships to your home for free on a $35 order. I use this service all the time. View attachment 143481
So, NG and others.
Without getting in to any arguments, etc.
I have used Rotella in my Suzuki GSXR1000 a few times with confidence, BUT
They never seem to have the exact weight rating.

My Pilots- Gen 1; 5-20
the Gen 2; 0-20

Which one would you use for each of my Pilots?

Honestly, for the Pilots- I'll stick with Wally Worlds Mobil 1, of the Super Tech full syn. oils.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
So, NG and others.

My Pilots- Gen 1; 5-20
the Gen 2; 0-20

Honestly, for the Pilots- I'll stick with Wally Worlds Mobil 1, of the Super Tech full syn. oils.
Wal-Mart has Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil in 5w20 and 5w30, shipped by them at $21 for a 5qt jug. 0w20 is now only available 3rd party at $33. Napa will order in 0w20 for pick up, $22.29.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
So, NG and others.

My Pilots- Gen 1; 5-20
the Gen 2; 0-20

I'd still use Mobil 1. I'd stay away from the Extended Performance. They have come out with oil for trucks and high mileage vehicles. I think these oils are an improvement over their regular oil.
Fed-Ex just dropped off my Wal-Mart order.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I've only run something other than 0W20 once in our Pilot, since I had a 5 quart jug of 5W20 that sat on the shelf for 3 years and I wanted to use it up. It's about to get replaced before our highs are at or below freezing for a couple months. Otherwise I run what the manufacturer recommends. 0W20 for the Pilot, 5W30 for the Traverse and 5W20 for the Sonata. The Impala gets 10W40 dino oil.

I do switch to High Mileage M1 around 100k, it's been proven to have an excellent additive package.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
I've only run something other than 0W20 once in our Pilot, since I had a 5 quart jug of 5W20 that sat on the shelf for 3 years and I wanted to use it up. It's about to get replaced before our highs are at or below freezing for a couple months. Otherwise I run what the manufacturer recommends. 0W20 for the Pilot, 5W30 for the Traverse and 5W20 for the Sonata. The Impala gets 10W40 dino oil.

I do switch to High Mileage M1 around 100k, it's been proven to have an excellent additive package.
I'd use High Milage oil even when the vehicle is new. I'd assume the molly % is higher (like I know 👨‍🎓).

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,196 Posts
I'd use High Milage oil even when the vehicle is new. I'd assume the molly % is higher (like I know 👨‍🎓).
I thought there was a post about it 'evaporating' more?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts