Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I have an 09 Honda Pilot Touring that just hit 164k miles. Last week I just had the entire suspension rebuilt, new struts, shocks, sway bars, etc. and also new rotors and pads installed all around. I've had the vehicle since 118k miles and have had no real issues so far. I am planning on taking a road trip back to my home town here in a month and it is approximately 1000 miles each way and will take around 16 hours, so 32 hours total for the trip.

I am just wondering what I should do to prepare the vehicle for the road trip. I am thinking of getting the radiator fluid and transmission fluid swapped out as neither has been done since I've owned the vehicle. An oil change is due soon so I'll get that done and there is a small oil leak from the oil pump but its very minimal and only goes down about half a quart between oil changes. The battery is due for a new one so I will probably get that done as well before the trip. Another note, I do have the VCMuzzler II installed to bypass the VCM system. Just had brand new summer tires installed as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Has the timing belt been changed at around 105K like it's supposed to? Do you know what happened when they changed the timing belt - did they change the water pump (do you have the receipt - sometimes sellers keep that as it helps the value of the car)? That replacement would have leaked a lot of coolant which would be at least a partial drain.

I would check the trans fluid and see if it is red and reasonably clear. Easy to drain and fill - takes a little over three quarts.

The rear diff also has a maintenance interval you have gone long past. I waited a long time for mine too and it was clean - there were no problems. Need a gallon and a pump to do that.

Best wishes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has the timing belt been changed at around 105K like it's supposed to? Do you know what happened when they changed the timing belt - did they change the water pump (do you have the receipt - sometimes sellers keep that as it helps the value of the car)? That replacement would have leaked a lot of coolant which would be at least a partial drain.

I would check the trans fluid and see if it is red and reasonably clear. Easy to drain and fill - takes a little over three quarts.

The rear diff also has a maintenance interval you have gone long past. I waited a long time for mine too and it was clean - there were no problems. Need a gallon and a pump to do that.

Best wishes
The vehicle history shows that at 100k miles the timing belt was replaced, the cooling system was serviced and the antifreeze/coolant was flushed and changed but it does not specifically say if the water pump was replaced or not. My auto shop has been recommending the rear diff fluid replacement as well lately so I will definitely get that done as well.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Check the spare tire if you didn't have that replaced with the rest of them. If it's old, take the opportunity to replace it with a full-size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the spare tire if you didn't have that replaced with the rest of them. If it's old, take the opportunity to replace it with a full-size.
That is a great suggestion thanks! I am pretty sure it's got a full size spare underneath but yeah it's probably pretty old at this point.

·
Registered
11,463 Posts
Spark plugs, power steering fluid, air filter, clean the mass airflow sensor. Hmmm, think that covers it.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Based off the age and mileage, take a peek at the metal trans lines that run along the bottom of the radiator as well as the metal PS lines.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
If AWD consider changing the transfer case fluid.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
As others have said, check or change all of your fluids and filters.

I have lifetime alignments on all of my vehicles so I like to have that done before a long trip, less pulling should be less fatiguing.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
I wouldn't do the coolant.
It was replaced when they did the timing belt and is typically good for 120K, so, it's good until the next timing belt change.

I'd be a bit concerned if they didn't do the water pump when they did the timing belt. Service history should tell you if they did or didn't

Check to see when ATF fluid was changed last time and what with (Honda OEM or not) - it should've been done around the time you bought it, based on mileage.

Honda Service should be able to print out an entire service history for you, complete with Tecnicians' notes.

Otherwise, a 2000 mile road trip is not that big of a deal even for an older high mileage PIlot- we did it in ours just a few years ago (granted, our mileage was lower, more in the 120K mile range), and also had a 6x12 UHaul trailer behind while we were at it. We do enjoy more than one 1000 mile trip every year. We usually don't even plan it, just go.
The only time I plan a trip is when I drive my 1988 Land Rover Defender somewhere past the 200 mile mark. But that's because if I break down, and don't have a trail kit of spares, I will have no choice but to tow it, as not many people know how to work on these vehicles or keep spares in stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts