Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi Newbie here with a 2016 EX-L. The spec sheets say that it would only fit the 2019 to 2020 pilot. To my knowledge there are no body changes, will it fit on my 2016?
I'm putting mine on my 2019 later today. Scorrpio and others have said no it will not fit, others have asked bit I don't think anyone has really tried. In my opinion they would fit, here's why. The part #'s for the side rails for silver or black are the exact same for 16-18 and 19-20 and instructions for both versions are the same.The cross bars are the exact same part# for both 16-18 and 19-20. If you buy the lower priced rack only version listed here you could pull the flat rail and check the rack mounting with no cutting. If it lines up for bolts you are good then just cut accordingly per instructions. If not relist the base carrier here for somebody else.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's a great option I have used mine for hauling lumber only and it has worked great.

Again I recommend not cutting the stock roof inserts via the measurements in the instructions. Remove the inserts, mark the center of the mounting studs on the roof (use painters tape) then put the inserts back in (just lay them on the slot) and transfer the center line to the inserts. You can now add the amount you need cut (I can't remember the number but it was in a previous post by me)
And cut that part out. Prime and paint the inserts or they will rust

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
First a big THANK YOU to Lamby66 and knowbodycares for the details!

Mine are installed. What I noticed that adds confusion in the factory instructions. The measurements you make from the front for the cuts and ones that you measure from first are based on depends on if you measure from the "inside" or "outside" edge of the curved part of front edge of molding. That measurement varies by 7mm which throws the rest off.

Like Lamby66 and knowbodycares I followed factory and marked all and then didn't like the cut layout when actually resting trim next to it. I then did the same, I marked the center of bolts and measured 60mm each way. 50mm each way does it tighter. Factory is 72.5mm each way (if your measurements were correct!). I left a little more play than the others with 60mm but still more under mounts than original directions.

The front bar is longer than the rear bar. The left and right are there because the screw hole to hold trim cover they want behind the bar. My right side mounts were not tight on the bar allowing some play. I made sure it was aligned correct and then tightened them. May be good, maybe bad but loose bolts and play to me equals rattles. My Thule racks and other factory racks were all tight.

I might look at getting some tie down version but have no real need most times. Ski Rack, Thule box don't need them. My thought if I did was slightly longer mounting nuts and cut the trim cover to accommodate whatever loop version I decide on.
I don't know about the rust if not painted as the inserts are a like a chrome spring steel. I painted anyway. Gloss Black rust oleum sprayed in a small cup just enough to "dip" the cut ends in and let dry. No overspray etc.

Rack 7.jpg
Rack 6.jpg
Rack 5.jpg
rack 4.jpg
Rack 3.jpg
Rack 2.jpg
rack 1.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know about the rust if not painted as the inserts are a like a chrome spring steel. I painted anyway. Gloss Black rust oleum sprayed in a small cup just enough to "dip" the cut ends in and let dry. No overspray etc.
I like your style! I used the same product/ process to ensure no rust later down the road. Hevever, I don't recommend using a red solo cup. The Rustoleum ate a hole through the bottom of the cup an decorated my garage work bench and floor. 🤣

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L
7 Posts
What downsides to installing these vs. doing the rails + cross bars are there - weight limits both look to be 165lbs. Any differences in what kinds of items can be attached to the rails?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am trying to confirm if the roof rack 08L02-TG7-100C will fit 2016 Pilot Exl. There are few posts here and that say yes. Rail and crossbar options costs $500 more with shipping charge.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts