Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed this roof rack system yet? I just purchased a set and will be installing them soon on my 2019 EX-L. I was looking for any tips or tricks before I start.

biggest question I have is, is the 960mm measurement from the front of the molding pictured in step 7 from the front of the molding, or from the front of the molding AND the front piece of molding that goes under the windshield? the rails instruction shows this as two pieces. These instructions do not. https://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/pilot/2019/basecarrier.pdf

Thank you all in advance

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I installed the roof racks today.

I will say that the measurement that the instructions state make things much more confusing than it needs to be.

I had a metric tape measure so I used that in this process.

I did measure 90cm from the rear of the roof channel pieces to a marked spot on the roof. I then looked marked out the measurements listed in the instructions on to roof rails..

I laid the rail next to the cross bars laid on the roof studs. The layout looked terrible.

I then measured from the centerline mark I made on the roof to the center of the dual studs that would be used for the cross bar brackets. The width needed for the brackets is around 9cm.. I then added 5cm to the front and back of the new center line mark, and then cut out those 10cm parts.

This placed a lot more of the rail under the bracket, and to me is much better.

Also to note is these rails are steel and will need to be painted after you cut them.

It was a very easy and painless install.

Way cheaper than the other roof rail and crossbar option.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start to finish it took about 2 hours, but that is because I second guessed and re did the measurements. If did it again it would be about an hour

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't been able to find any detailed description of these crossbars. How high do they extend above the roofline?

Also, now that you're had them for a while, are you satisfied? Have you noticed any loss in fuel mileage or any noise?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not notice any drop in milage, but I put them on so soon after I bought it I can't say for sure.

There may be a more noise but the Honda has so much road noise, how could you tell :) it's nothing that I noticed at all.

As far as would I do it again... Maybe not. For the price it was a great option but I would really like cross bars that extend past the rails. If I did it again I would still balance cost VS function.

I will get some measurements when I can

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
collegehills has a picture of them installed.. I looked at prices again.. and yeah I would buy these again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put these on my '19 pilot exl last week. Very satisfied. Would be happy to answer any instillation questions. It's really quite simple. As another poster here mentioned, cutting the weather trim is much more simple than the instructions lead one to believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't been able to find any detailed description of these crossbars. How high do they extend above the roofline?

Also, now that you're had them for a while, are you satisfied? Have you noticed any loss in fuel mileage or any noise?

Thanks.
About an inch and a half above the roof.
Milage effects are not noticable.
I put these on last week. Couldn't be happier w them!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry for so many posts, but just remembered I had some pics to share.... View attachment 132499
Hi,
Question regarding install. I am reading the install guide from college hills Honda and the three questions that come to mind. 1-Is the crossbar mount labeled "Left" denote the driver's side or the passenger side? 2-Looks like there are three two screws on the bottom of the crossbars themselves, do those need to be tightened or left as is? 3-Do you notice any noise while driving? Thanks in advance for any advice as I go this route or aftermarket.

Btw, I love the OEM look.

-Guillermo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
Question regarding install. I am reading the install guide from college hills Honda and the three questions that come to mind. 1-Is the crossbar mount labeled "Left" denote the driver's side or the passenger side? 2-Looks like there are three two screws on the bottom of the crossbars themselves, do those need to be tightened or left as is? 3-Do you notice any noise while driving? Thanks in advance for any advice as I go this route or aftermarket.

Btw, I love the OEM look.

-Guillermo
Hi Guillermo.
1. I don't think these will fit on the car if you don't have them lined up correctly, so left\right labels don't really matter. You can't screw it up in that regard.
2. The brackets screw directly into the roof of the vehicle. Those screws attach the rails to the roof. I believe I read they require a certain amount of foot torque, bit I don't have a torque wrench, so I just made them as tight as I could (within reason of coarse).
3. Don't notice any noise whatsoever at any particular speed.
Used a kayak rack, and Thule roof rack with no problem whatso ever. This has been a great economical solution for me.
Good luck w the install!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a great option I have used mine for hauling lumber only and it has worked great.

Again I recommend not cutting the stock roof inserts via the measurements in the instructions. Remove the inserts, mark the center of the mounting studs on the roof (use painters tape) then put the inserts back in (just lay them on the slot) and transfer the center line to the inserts. You can now add the amount you need cut (I can't remember the number but it was in a previous post by me)
And cut that part out. Prime and paint the inserts or they will rust

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought it through EBAY and it was $199 including shipping. The installation took an hour, the directions were a bit confusing but I figured it out. I used a metal blade on my jigsaw and it cut through okay, and primed/painted the bare metal. Using my old Thule ski rack that's been on five other cars. I take off the ski rack at the end of the season, so if all goes well it will be deep into June/early July.
IMG_1471.JPG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts