Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got my 08 back on the road after a full lower and top end rebuild with a ton of new parts, inspections, and cleaning.
I feel like its nearly as good as new, maybe better with the .50over bore, upgraded pistons, bearings and head gaskets. 24 new valves, 24 new guides w/seals. Freshly machined surfaces all around...
Has new cats x3, O2 sensors x4, timeing set, water pump, new radiator, thermostat, coils x6, spark plugs x6, injectors x6, new intake tube and filter, cam position, crank position, and knock sensors, PVC valve, acc belt, motor mts x3, trans mts x2, VTEC basket and gasket, new oil pump, deep cycle battery, and new cv axles up front.... Added a roof rack and trailer hitch...

A few lights in the A/C controller are out, no dome lights, RES does nothing (dvd player powers up), keyless entry not working.

All work done with basic hand tools from HF, Pulled the motor and trans out through the hood(not from underneath as honda suggest.) Bought a few special tools like a crank bolt tool and an O2 sensor socket and a cherry picker. Got a compression tester and a nice code reader for warm and fuzzies...
Lower end machine work and assembly cost $900, full rebuild of the heads was about the same. Total in the rebuild is about $3k-$3.5k(lost track...)
This puts me at about $12k in an '08 SE with virtually no miles under the hood and 160k on the body/trans/rear end/etc.

Please share any thoughts, tips, suggestions, etc.

I wonder how much HP if any is gained from the over bore? Other changes? Seems a bit more throaty sounding.
I hope it is ready for another 200k.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought it used w/ great records and maintenance... Got screwed, junk yard motor, un known miles.
So 160k on the body, but the motor was a mystery.
First issue was a head gasket, then 2 seperate valves before deciding to dive in.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Pulling the motor (no heads) with trans and transfer case attached out the top was an adventure. It came out with just a little "FU" and "MF" for encouragement.

Decided to seperate them for the reinstall.
That gave you the clearance you needed. I would have done the same. I'm impressed!

Reactions: Hand Made

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
What made you decide to put the engine and transmission together first before putting it back in?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It’s good to see someone going DIY on an engine rebuild!

By over-boring it, that increases the engine’s displacement, which is calculated by Bore x Bore x 0.7854 (a constant used because the area is a circle, not a square) x Stroke x Number of cylinders. (IIRC!)

You should also see a slightly higher compression ratio due to the larger swept volume of the cylinder, with the same size chamber in the head.

If you divide the original HP rating by the original cc’s and get HP per cc, you can multiply that by the new cc number and have a good idea of how much HP you gained.

Who says math can’t be interesting?

Dan

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
We pulled them together but put it back in seperatly.

Pulled it together because i didn't know any better... Probably concerned about how to seperate them...
That level of rebuild work is totally out of my league but your "concerned" statement was funny ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts