Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the community and hoping y'all can help me out. Turning my pilot into an overlander and would like a winch but cannot find anything out there for a pilot. Any ideas for mounting a front winch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There's really nothing to bolt into in the front of a first-gen. Winches, serious suspension kits, skid plates, etc. weren't part of the engineering program. As you've seen, the aftermarket isn't very interested in early Pilots.

As I see it, you've got three workarounds:

1. Install a rear hitch, get someone to fab up a receiver-based mount for the winch, and hope for the best. If your interest is in low-key off pavement, that would probably be enough if you're careful.
2. Dramatically increase your budget and get someone to custom fab a thorough job.
3. Start your build with a vehicle better-suited to rough use. I think that's the most practical option if you want to go places where nobody is maintaining the road.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Hello all, I am new to the community and hoping y'all can help me out. Turning my pilot into an overlander and would like a winch but cannot find anything out there for a pilot. Any ideas for mounting a front winch would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the world of unibody construction vs body on frame. Tacoma'03Pilot has given you the best options.

If you are willing to pay the price there is this:

You will need this:

And of course a winch to go with it.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
I’ve been wheeling and winching for decades.
the front and rear end receives are great starts. Now to wire directly to the battery with quick disconnects front and rear. Get a winch mount that you can install in the receiver when you need to. And a winch with the other part of the disconnect.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
I’ve been wheeling and winching for decades.
the front and rear end receives are great starts. Now to wire directly to the battery with quick disconnects front and rear. Get a winch mount that you can install in the receiver when you need to. And a winch with the other part of the disconnect.
Just don't get the two mixed up.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,201 Posts
Depends how intense your off-roading is and your winching needs are, but maybe you could get by with a shackle in the metal tab that juts down up behind your front bumper, and use a towrope or chain or tow strap only when needed.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
133 Posts
I installed this on my 07:

I paid $88 when I bought it this in '17 as a return. I see "new and used" still for $88. Seems a decent price.

As I was concerned that the receiver would snag on something. It never has, but I am certainly not an offroader. I bought this to feel better about it:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts