Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, over a year ago, somehow my wife lost a set of keys, in the house, we NEVER found them!
Had my OEM '01 Dakota key on there, and the 08 Pilot Key.
We had 2 OEM Keys, and the 'valet key since the purchase new.

That key we have left- the lock/unlock button quit working. I figured no problem- changed the battery,
then tested the new and old battery- NOT the battery.

I bought a OEM replacement key, and was able to program the Ebay key to lock/unlock the doors.
But if it's not chipped or had the chip programmed- it still won't run the car anyway.

So for many months, I've had both keys on the key ring, one to lock/unlock the doors,
and one to actually start and run the vehicle.

NOW, the OEM original key that starts and runs it- is breaking off at the base of the key FOB.

What can I do?

So, in summary-
The OEM key that starts and runs the Pilot, won't lock/unlock w/ the key FOB- pretty sure I tried reprogramming in too- the little light won't come one- good battery.
The key is breaking.
I have a OEM replica blank I was able to program to lock/unlock the Pilot- no chip to run it though- I never had it cut to try and start the Pilot.

The only working key we have left (other than the Valet key) is breaking now at the base of the Key FOB/key.

OK Piloteers- HELP!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
So, over a year ago, somehow my wife lost a set of keys, in the house, we NEVER found them!

That key we have left- the lock/unlock button quit working. I figured no problem- changed the battery,
then tested the new and old battery- NOT the battery.

I bought a OEM replacement key, and was able to program the Ebay key to lock/unlock the doors.
But if it's not chipped or had the chip programmed- it still won't run the car anyway.

So for many months, I've had both keys on the key ring, one to lock/unlock the doors,
and one to actually start and run the vehicle.

NOW, the OEM original key that starts and runs it- is breaking off at the base of the key FOB.

What can I do?

So, in summary-
The OEM key that starts and runs the Pilot, won't lock/unlock w/ the key FOB- pretty sure I tried reprogramming in too- the little light won't come one- good battery.
The key is breaking.
I have a OEM replica blank I was able to program to lock/unlock the Pilot- no chip to run it though- I never had it cut to try and start the Pilot.

The only working key we have left (other than the Valet key) is breaking now at the base of the Key FOB/key.

OK Piloteers- HELP!
Simply swap the "chip" in the key that is breaking into the "replica" fob.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quit being cheap and get some keys cut and programed :p. Your next post is going to be about you walking to work because you lost the only key that started the veh. Worse then that, the I told you so from the wife.
Well, she's the one that lost those keys on the rings- at home. I think it inadvertantly went into the trash bin of recycle bin. By the time I figured that though, they had already been emtied.
It is not 'I told you so' from the wife either. I am very frugal, but I think I'll have to do that- get some cut and programmed.

Simply swap the "chip" in the key that is breaking into the "replica" fob.
Good idea, however I'd still have to use the one cut key to start the vehicle.

I'm going to have to spend the money to get 2 of them cut and programmed.
That's like what, at least $350 just for 2?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
OK Piloteers- HELP!
At the time did you ask her to check her boyfriends place for the keys? 😂

I do believe that you have stumbled onto her Christmas present this year. A new key for the vehicle. Oh and get her one of these as well. Women always have lots of junk on their key ring anyway.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the time did you ask her to check her boyfriends place for the keys? 😂

I do believe that you have stumbled onto her Christmas present this year. A new key for the vehicle. Oh and get her one of these as well. Women always have lots of junk on their key ring anyway.
Like I said, she and the Pilot were home when the keys were lost. I'm going to really think you were joking about the other comment.

As far as the Christmas present, I/we just got her a like new 2015 4WD Pilot.
The key finder is a good option.
She normally never looses things though.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here the keys are about 60 each and 65 to program both of the at the same time.
Thanks, do other shops do them too, of pretty much just a Honda dealer?
So, it has to be done in person with a known still good chipped key, right? Can it be done via VIN only? And if so, couldn't these be done online?

TIA

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Like I said, she and the Pilot were home when the keys were lost. I'm going to really think you were joking about the other comment.

As far as the Christmas present, I/we just got her a like new 2015 4WD Pilot.
The key finder is a good option.
She normally never looses things though.
When ever the wife "misplaces" something the first thing I always ask her is if she checked her boyfriends place. 🤣

The wife has "put it where it belongs" disease. Which in her world means that something belongs where ever she puts it down. There isn't a week that doesn't go by where I have to call her phone so she can track it down in the house. The best one was when she couldn't hear/find it. She had to get to work so she decided to look again when she got home. It was in the cup holder in her car. Of course she couldn't hear it. it was in a sealed up car in the garage.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks, do other shops do them too, of pretty much just a Honda dealer?
So, it has to be done in person with a known still good chipped key, right? Can it be done via VIN only? And if so, couldn't these be done online?
Here only we do it. If somebody is willing to pay for the rights from Honda, indy shop could do it. Yes, it must be done with the key/veh together, both must be present. I don't need a working key to program, however, any key not present at the time of programming will no longer work.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,198 Posts

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Pro tip: Use sticky tack or even hot glue to secure the immobilizer chip in the new key near the hilt so it doesn't fall out of place inside and prevent the Pilot from starting.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But your working theory is that she already had a mate. :D

Just swap the immobilizer chip into your working fob. Save yourself a trip to the dealer and the cost, much to @Slvr7's chagrin.

New Key Fob Replacement Won't Program

Pro tip: Use sticky tack or even hot glue to secure the immobilizer chip in the new key near the hilt so it doesn't fall out of place inside and prevent the Pilot from starting.
Wow, Thanks. Problem also is though that the working OEM key (to start it) is cracking at the key/Fob interface. I'll take it apart and see what I can do, but I'd like to also have at least ONE MORE key to it! LOL

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
If the key shaft can't be saved in its fob because it's falling apart, I can think of two possible solutions:

1. See if the shaft can also be transplanted to your new working fob, along with the immobilizer chip.
  2. Get the key shaft in the new fob cut by a locksmith. Call ahead because some cut Honda automotive keys and some don't. That's what I did when I opted for new flip keys. Way cheaper than the dealer. All due respect again to @Slvr7 :).
Key fob replacement

[]Program 2005 Pilot Key

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome!

OK, I'm illiterate at these things really.

These new FOB's and flippy things you still have to progam it with the Pilot, like I did my blank Key Fob- like to keyless open the doors,

AND- you have to get a chip and have it prgrammed for that vehicle?

Is there a chip in the blank key I have, it just needs programming?
And if so, that's a dealer only thing?

Did you also program the chips in these aftermarket keys yourself? How?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Since you already have the immobilizer chip in one, and a working fob in the other, put them both in the same one. The one with the cut key if you can save it, or transfer the cut key shaft if you can.

If you want two keys, you'll have to order one of the ones you linked to. Programming the fobs, you already know how to do, but just remember you have to program all your fobs at the same time.

However, you'll have to get that new immobilizer chip programmed so you can start the car. That's either the dealer (call yours to find out how much), or with this gizmo: honda easy key maker – Buy honda easy key maker with free shipping on AliExpress

Read through this thread as well as the previous ones I linked to and hopefully it'll help make things clearer for you.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since you already have the immobilizer chip in one, and a working fob in the other, put them both in the same one. The one with the cut key if you can save it, or transfer the cut key shaft if you can.

If you want two keys, you'll have to order one of the ones you linked to. Programming the fobs, you already know how to do, but just remember you have to program all your fobs at the same time.

However, you'll have to get that new immobilizer chip programmed so you can start the car. That's either the dealer (call yours to find out how much), or with this gizmo: honda easy key maker – Buy honda easy key maker with free shipping on AliExpress

Read through this thread as well as the previous ones I linked to and hopefully it'll help make things clearer for you.

This is good and bad:

Good because there is a reasonably priced solution.
Bad because I have system that is currently working LOL.

Thanks again PlPl, you and so many others on this site are so helpful and amazing!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
740 Posts
Get the key shaft in the new fob cut by a locksmith. Call ahead because some cut Honda automotive keys and some don't. That's what I did when I opted for new flip keys. Way cheaper than the sealer. All due respect again to @Slvr7 :).
We had one locksmith that said they could cut/program Honda keys, wanted $325 for 1 key programmed. Only 3x our price:p, just depends on your area.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Yeah, that guy's

I didn't need the chip programmed because I just used my old one, but the locksmith I found around here cut the key and transferred the immobilizer chip for 40 bucks. That's Canadian dollars, so about US$32.50, ten times less.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts