Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive gone through the threads in search of my holy grail. Forgive me for beating the dead horse here. So recently bought this 08 Pilot. To replace my 95 Accord (still runs!) To recap my steps here ive changed the O rings on the inlet and out of the pump. Got em from Honda along with 6 bottles of fresh fluid. I pulled the resevoir and cleaned it well. There was no residue on the screen and not much else i was suprised based on how the fluid resembled used motor oil. Checked the hoses for wear and cracks and replaced the factory clamps at the pump and the resevoir. The first time i changed the O rings I used a Felpro set. Pump sounded worse so to the dealer i went. Secont time around after firing it up to bleed temps got to operating temp and all was calm. Bled great and No noise! Yea well my happiness was short lived. Soon as i went for a drive there it was. Stupid whine again. I'm convince air is still getting into my system. I am well versed on that air whine. Accord taught me this lesson. I am at the point where I'm about to tastefully use black RTV around the pump there. Has anyone had high pressure line failure? I have also thought to check it around the frame as they slowly can wear a hole in the line. I just cannot condemn the pump after this most recent fluid flush and bleed. Again my Accord taught me this wonderful lesson I will never forget. All $200 of it. No visible leaks. Thinking about adding a dye for a leak test next. Its cold here right now so makes it hard to work on in the snow. My driveway is on an ever so slight incline. I am baffled but determined. If anyone has some insite I am all ears here.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I recently replaced a whiny pump. Fixed it right up. It was a CR-V, but identical design. We bought a pump on amazon for $60 and it was awful, worse than the one it was replacing. Found a used OEM pump from a dismantler on Ebay with a 90 day warranty, installed and now noise free.

We did OEM O-rings, fresh fluid, and clean reservoir first. Made no difference. New pump did.

Reactions: RedsPilot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It seems I may have to go that route. My OEM pump currently has about 182k on it. I guess the part throwing me is the fact it was so quiet after the last flush and O ring swap haha. Off to the boneyard I go?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Consider trying some Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak. On our 06 pilot (245k miles) it helped a good deal with the leak on the power steering rack and quieted the pump also somewhat. Not perfect, but better. I drained and refilled the resevoir probably 4 times (turning wheel lock to lock between each time after replacing fluid) and then put several ounces of the Stop Leak in the resevioir. Might make it quiet enough for you. We have an 11 Odyssey that has a noisy pump too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Ive honestly entertained the idea. And ive held off due to being unsure. I love the lucas gas additive. Hubby uses the oil stabilizer in his oil changes. Hondas are usually so much simpler haha. But I'll be honest I dont currently have $200 for a new pump either. I'll pick up a bottle. Ive flushed about 4 bottles of honda fluid through. Do they make a synthetic type or is it a one size fits all deal?

·
Registered
275 Posts
This video might give you some insight into the pump noise. Seems like he struggled with his rebuild as well lol.

Reactions: RedsPilot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I LOVE ETCG! Been a fan for a long time. Eric helped me discover spark plug tube seals and an EGR plate in my 95 and 96 Accords ? he is my online Honda video guru. He dropped the veins in this one if memory serves. Ive been slow to condemn the pump due to the last bleed. But it may very well be pressure related. Wheels on the ground and hot the bleed went excellent. Until we drove it. Thank you for the video I will watch it over my morning coffee today.

·
Registered
128 Posts
. Do they make a synthetic type or is it a one size fits all deal?
One type for all, it is an additive not a replacement. Maybe add enough to raise the level 50 pct of the difference between Max and Min on the resevoir. It is very thick like molasses. I add to resevevoir with engine running.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Totally making a trip to my local wally mart for this. Ive got my air inlet tube coming so as soon as i replace it I'm giving this a whirl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts