Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced thermostat on my 08 Honda Pilot and it started overheating. I thought i got all the air out but im at a crossroads with finding a solution so to speak. There is no bleeder valve on this so how do i get the air out? And would that cause my car to suddenly start over heating to the red sitting still at a red light?

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Just replaced thermostat on my 08 Honda Pilot and it started overheating. I thought i got all the air out but im at a crossroads with finding a solution so to speak. There is no bleeder valve on this so how do i get the air out? And would that cause my car to suddenly start over heating to the red sitting still at a red light?
Squeeze the hose a few times?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,187 Posts
Look at this post for how I burped the cooling system on my 2005 Pilot.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Burp it like Barney 'til you can't burp no more.

Deepest apologies. But yeah, this...

Or you can take the 20 minute approach to burping air from the system.
1) Park on a slight incline.
2) Fill overflow tank to max and radiator to top AFTER the engine has cooled down. Do not remove radiator cap and overflow cap until the engine has cooled down.
3) Leave radiator cap off. Reinstall overflow cap.
4). Set both heaters to hot. No need to run the fans. Run engine until the coolant level in the radiator drops. At this point you can either fill the radiator full or shut down the engine and wait for the radiator to cool down before adding fluid. Your choice; I just add the coolant. If you’re worried about stressing the radiator wait for it to cool down.
4) Let the Pilot idle until the radiator fan kicks on. Every minute or so rev the engine to 3k rpm for a few seconds and gently squeeze the upper radiator hose to purge air. Be careful as coolant and the hose will be hot. You might wrap a towel around the radiator cap to catch any overflow.
5) If coolant level in radiator drops then top it off.
6) You’re done whdn the radiator fan kicks on twice. If after 20 minutes the fan doesn’t kick on call it a day. My fan never went on but it was fairly cool outside when I purged my cooling system of air.
7) Install the radiator cap. The radiator will be hot.
8) Monitor coolant level over the next few days. Fill through radiator; make sure overflow level is between min and max if needed.

And only use Honda Type 2 or Acura equivalent coolant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts