Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, went to do routine maintenance on the vehicle, and when i went to drain, nothing came out.

I was parked on an incline (nose high), so i repositioned so that the drain bolt was a little on the low side - still nothing.

The fill bolt was removed.

The vehicle does have the Transmission cooler towing kit installed, and never does any towing. We haven't noticed any issues with shifting.

How boned am I?

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
141 Posts
Either boned or you messed something up with the drain. The actual drain plug is a square hole that your 3/8 ratchet fits into.

When is the last time you checked the fluid level?

For the love of god don't drive it until you figure this out.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
As the title states, went to do routine maintenance on the vehicle, and when i went to drain, nothing came out.

I was parked on an incline (nose high), so i repositioned so that the drain bolt was a little on the low side - still nothing.

The fill bolt was removed.

The vehicle does have the Transmission cooler towing kit installed, and never does any towing. We haven't noticed any issues with shifting.

How boned am I?
Are you sure you aren't removing the wrong bolt? If you had no transmission fluid, the car would not move and there would be a lot of complaining from the computer. Check the transmission dipstick for starters.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's definitely the transmission drain plug. I can even see a bit of ATF dripping out. It's the square one for the 3/8 ratchet behind the drivers side front wheel.

I'm super confused.

The vehicle has been driving fine - no issues, shifts fine, runs fine - literally only doing this because the B13 code popped up for routine maintenance.

When I repositioned from nose high to slightly drivers side low - the fluid level was definitely low, about halfway to the bottom hole - vehicle had been warmed up to normal operating temp per the service manual. I added one quart of DW-1 and waited a couple of minutes for it to settle and rechecked - fluid was now right at the second bubble.

This confused me even more, how could one quart go from NOTHING draining, when it should have been >4.0qt's with a transmission cooler - to slightly high?

I drove it about 2 miles - let it shift through all the gears, including reverse - and went to a parking lot. I made sure the vehicle was level, using a level sitting on the engine block, and checked again. Still right at about the second dot - slightly high.

Now the vehicle is sitting level, cooling off for about 20-25 minutes and I'll check it again.

I'm extremely confused by this. Mostly, I'm confused because the vehicle has NO DRIVING ISSUES with such low ATF.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, the fluid quality is certainly darker than brand new ATF - but still definitively Red, and does not have a burnt smell to it, still smells like that slightly fruity ATF smell. Super confused.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
It's definitely the transmission drain plug. I can even see a bit of ATF dripping out. It's the square one for the 3/8 ratchet behind the drivers side front wheel.

I'm super confused.

The vehicle has been driving fine - no issues, shifts fine, runs fine - literally only doing this because the B13 code popped up for routine maintenance.

When I repositioned from nose high to slightly drivers side low - the fluid level was definitely low, about halfway to the bottom hole - vehicle had been warmed up to normal operating temp per the service manual. I added one quart of DW-1 and waited a couple of minutes for it to settle and rechecked - fluid was now right at the second bubble.

This confused me even more, how could one quart go from NOTHING draining, when it should have been >4.0qt's with a transmission cooler - to slightly high?

I drove it about 2 miles - let it shift through all the gears, including reverse - and went to a parking lot. I made sure the vehicle was level, using a level sitting on the engine block, and checked again. Still right at about the second dot - slightly high.

Now the vehicle is sitting level, cooling off for about 20-25 minutes and I'll check it again.

I'm extremely confused by this. Mostly, I'm confused because the vehicle has NO DRIVING ISSUES with such low ATF.
There are two other 3/8 square drive plugs near the driver's front wheel, the transfer case drain and fill plugs. It sounds like you might be removing the transfer case fill plug. Although gear oil is usually honey colored, not red.

Does the plug you are taking out have a magnet attached to it? If so, is there anything sticking to the magnet?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just to clarify, ATF Drain Bolt: EDIT - edited picture to clarify that I WAS WRONG! Don't make my mistake, ATF drain is under and past this.

ATF Fill Bolt:

Vehicle level at latest ATF dipstick check, looking from front to back.

ATF Dipstick Level AFTER adding One quart of DW-1, vehicle has been sitting ~25minutes since last drive where it reached full operating temperature:

It's clearly a bit high - which may well be due to having been driven through all gears within the last 30 minutes, but how can we possibly go from Nothing draining - to this after adding only one Quart: You can also see the fluid quality here. The stuff I was seeing at the drain port was slightly darker red - but again, certainly not black and no burned smell.

Shift quality was and remains great.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are two other 3/8 square drive plugs near the driver's front wheel, the transfer case drain and fill plugs. It sounds like you might be removing the transfer case fill plug. Although gear oil is usually honey colored, not red.

I have a FWD Pilot. I really hope that I'm mistaking it for something else though.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Sounds like you figured it out that your photo is not of the ATF plug.
Just a tip on draining ATF. If it's done on level ground and jack up from the rear drivers side jack point, you can drain another .3 of a quart out.
You've been on the forum longer than I have, so I won't bore you with a VML ATF discussion. Lol

·
Registered
2,152 Posts

I have a FWD Pilot. I really hope that I'm mistaking it for something else though.
Me too. I didn't see what kind of Pilot you had in the original post so I thought I'd mention the transfer case in case it was a 4WD. Glad you found the right plug. I shudda asked about the magnet sooner. It's the only plug/bolt in that area that has one that I'm aware of. The stock oil drain plug is sans magnet.

Note to self: Next time you're under the pilot try to figure out which square drive bolt he took out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been wondering what this other 3/8" bolt is for...overfill drain bolt maybe?

Did it look like the actual ATF bolt without the magnet or was it securing something inside?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been wondering what this other 3/8" bolt is for...overfill drain bolt maybe?

Did it look like the actual ATF bolt without the magnet or was it securing something inside?
I'm wondering the same thing? No - there was no magnet on the bolt. I've perused the service manual to try to find what it is, but haven't found it yet - I'm sure it's in there though. Since it is pretty close to where the fill port is, and it's a 3/8" hole - I just assumed that it was the bolt I was looking for. After @20Piloteer07 called me out on the wrong drain port - I initially though, no - I saw red fluid, and it's a 3/8" bolt right where I was expecting it to be - it's the right drain port... Then I started thinking, he's got to be right - there is NO way this car is driving fine with an empty tranny. So I pulled up the service manual, and true enough - the diagram does look different, I go out and crawl under - sure enough, the damn ATF drain is just under and past whatever I was looking at.

I would really like to know what that drain port is for though.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing? No - there was no magnet on the bolt. I've perused the service manual to try to find what it is, but haven't found it yet - I'm sure it's in there though. Since it is pretty close to where the fill port is, and it's a 3/8" hole - I just assumed that it was the bolt I was looking for. After @20Piloteer07 called me out on the wrong drain port - I initially though, no - I saw red fluid, and it's a 3/8" bolt right where I was expecting it to be - it's the right drain port... Then I started thinking, he's got to be right - there is NO way this car is driving fine with an empty tranny. So I pulled up the service manual, and true enough - the diagram does look different, I go out and crawl under - sure enough, the damn ATF drain is just under and past whatever I was looking at.

I would really like to know what that drain port is for though.
Was there a crush washer (flat alum washer) under the head of the bolt you pulled out first? From your picture it looks like a plug. Most likely to check the atf level. It looks like find #19 in this diagram. Find #20 in the same exploded view is the transmission fluid drain plug.

2008 Honda Pilot 5 Door EX (2WD) KA 5AT AT Transmission Case (hondapartsnow.com)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was there a crush washer (flat alum washer) under the head of the bolt you pulled out first? From your picture it looks like a plug. Most likely to check the atf level. It looks like find #19 in this diagram. Find #20 in the same exploded view is the transmission fluid drain plug.

2008 Honda Pilot 5 Door EX (2WD) KA 5AT AT Transmission Case (hondapartsnow.com)

Yeah, it did. I would agree that this is the part I was looking at. Thanks very much for taking the time to look that up and pass it along!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I looked through the service manual and it comes up as sealing plug, it doesn't say much more though. There's already a dipstick so I'm kind of hoping this a overfill drain plug, it'd make refilling a bit easier.

Next time I do drain and fill, I'll add certain amount of ATF before draining and see if it leaks out of that hole.

Text White Font Black-and-white Monochrome photography Text Line Font Black-and-white Document

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Yeah, it did. I would agree that this is the part I was looking at. Thanks very much for taking the time to look that up and pass it along!
My pleasure! It was bugging me too! Our Rogue has a similar plug to check level and no dipstick (until I purchased an aftermarket one)

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
284 Posts
this is what AT drain plug looks like on my Pilot.
main reason I knew which bolt it was because my civic has an almost if not identical bolt for its AT drain:cool: happy wrenching! other guy was right about jacking up the rear end slightly to get more fluid out though not entirely necessary is still nice to do

1 - 20 of 25 Posts