Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 08 Honda pilot has 165,000 miles on it I think had an issue with the transmission fluid getting hot in the car with though it’s self into neutral and you couldn’t go now I have had the transmission fluid changed and it’s not getting hot anymore we even added a extra transmission cooler now my question is the pilot transmission is throwing it self into neutral After it gets warm what would cause this any input would be helpful thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
Slipping in gear, or a "false neutral" can be due to worn clutches, sticking spool valves in the valve body, or perhaps clogged solenoids. If you are still getting some function by the transmission before it starts to slip, you could try to clean up the ATF, and clean up the solenoids. If you have just done a single drain and fill, a couple more D&F will get more junk out of the system. The solenoids can be removed and flushed out with brake cleaner, or even replaced. If you have already done these things, you might be looking at a remanufactured transmission.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just a guess here-- if the transmission was not maintained, and the fluid became filled with friction material, this can cause the internal seals to wear and the valves and solenoids to stick. ATF flow in the control circuits is restricted, the hydraulic gear change clutches don't get enough pressure, clutches slip, and everything goes downhill. If a clean up won't bring it back, it's too far gone, a rebuild is required.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do you know the service history for the transmission? The book says D&F every 30k miles (minimum), I do it every 15k miles.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would do a total of 4 ATF D&F and I would use Maxlife not OEM. I prefer the way the transmission shifts.

If the fluid gets noticeably cleaner with less debris on the magnet with each D&F sign that would be a good sign. If the debris on the drain magnet remains the same with each D&F then you are facing a much bigger bill.

Also, these transmissions seem to like the 3rd and 4th pressure switches being changed around 75 to 100K miles. You can buy aftermarket ones on Amazon for $25 a piece - but only if that drain magnet gets cleaner.

Your transmission is better than the earlier ones (pre 07) but ATF D&F is crucial with Hondas.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts