Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I'm now reading it's so specific a fluid like the rear end?

We were on a trip from WI, to FL to go on a cruise, winter of 18.

PS started making noise. I bought a bottle at a gas/convenience store- topped it off.- Noise stopped.

It's been fine ever since.

Now I have to get OEM PS fluid if it happens again? What kind of BS is this?
I understand the friction modifiers being so specific in the rear end; but the PS pump too?

?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is there a Yay of Nay on this? Like I said, I topped off the P/S reservoir years ago w/ non OEM stuff, and it still works well, no noises, etc. Not sure why it was low to begin with? Never got low again.
I read only use the Honda brand PS fluid?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were waiting for a brave guinea pig volunteer. Thank you for your service. :D
Well, when I did it 2-3 yrs ago, I didn't hesitate.
I checked it recently, it as still full.
No ill effects.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
As soon as you supply the brand, lot #, UPC code our slew of Piloteer scientists will warp speed research the viscosity, boiling point, shear rating, evaporative properties, genetic or synthetic code and see if it meets or exceeds the Honda PS fluid standards. This breakthrough could save thousands err a few bucks per flush.

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
I've never ventured away from Honda Power Steering Fluid. I would never say there isn't an aftermarket fluid that will work. My fear is based on the knowledge that not all fluids are the same. If I change to a different fluid there is a risk of damaging the system. Purging the system with fresh Honda fluid only takes about 36oz (3 bottles). There is not a lot of price benefit to change to a different brand. In many instances, it's more expensive to change. The most important thing is to replace the fluid before it turns completely black. I know that keeping it clean with Honda Fluid will get you 250k miles of trouble free service and I'm still counting.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, if I actually changed mine.
I never do, do I topped it off.
My Dodge truck goes thru a pint every few months, so - it's change now LOL

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
In regard to power steering fluid, the typical guidance in the owner's manual is along the lines of:
'Always use Honda Power Steering Fluid.
You may use another power steering fluid as an emergency replacement, but have the power steering system flushed and refilled with Honda PSF as soon as possible.'

They don't say that you can't ever use something other than Honda fluid, and they don't define how soon is "as soon as possible" that the system should be flushed and refilled.
Does it have to be only the power steering fluid sold at the Honda dealer or, for example, would this be acceptable?

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
The Owner's Manual is indeed coy on the subject of power steering fluid.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Naw - (ozzy man review term- youtube channel, funny AH)
It's a power steering pump. Not a complicated tranny, or complicated fake rear end they call 4WD.

Ya mean Honda says right there in their owners manual to use THEIR fluid? You don't say! LOL

And, IIRC- it was Prestone PS fluid. It was at a convenience store/gas stop in FL, on our way to a cruise.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Yeah Naw - (ozzy man review term- youtube channel, funny AH)
It's a power steering pump. Not a complicated tranny, or complicated fake rear end they call 4WD.

Ya mean Honda says right there in their owners manual to use THEIR fluid? You don't say! LOL

And, IIRC- it was Prestone PS fluid. It was at a convenience store/gas stop in FL, on our way to a cruise.
$3.99

Now you've got my attention. And who's that running over to have a look? Why, it's my fellow cheap bastard a-penny-saved-is-a-penny-earned compadre @Nail Grease. :D

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
$3.99

Now you've got my attention. And who's that running over to have a look? Why, it's my fellow cheap bastard a-penny-saved-is-a-penny-earned compadre @Nail Grease. :D
I can still find places that sell the Honda fluid for around $4. But if an after market brand known to work came in 1 gallon jugs, that would be tempting. Give me a deal buying in bulk.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
One mechanic I know swears that Honda PS fluid is his go to cure all for leaky or noisy systems. All I know is that I have some left over from my Gen 1 days and my CRV is electric. So it gets used in my 25 year old wheeling truck that uses normal ATF.
The Honda PS fluid should be changed or refreshed imho every 60k-80k. It gets dirty. Fresh fluid is clear. Use an oven baster to pull the old out and refresh.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
When I did mine earlier this year, I did a 3x pump 'n' fill with OEM Honda PS fluid from the dealership, but found it even easier with the little hand pump I use for my VTM-4 fluid rather than a turkey baster.

How much power steering fluid?

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Shouldn't you be using only this power steering fluid?

View attachment 140727
Honestly, I've just have had no real reason to leave the OE PS fluid. I could see the benefit of leaving the OE DW-1 transmission fluid for Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I'm not a loyal brand follower, buying what ever products Valvoline makes.
The old 2012 Crosstour turned 250k miles this past week. I've never had to replace the power steering pump or seals. Never a noise one. In that 250k span, I've only purged out the OE fluid with fresh 3 times. About to do the 4th when it comes in for the next oil change.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Honestly, I've just have had no real reason to leave the OE PS fluid. I could see the benefit of leaving the OE DW-1 transmission fluid for Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I'm not a loyal brand follower, buying what ever products Valvoline makes.
The old 2012 Crosstour turned 250k miles this past week. I've never had to replace the power steering pump or seals. Never a noise one. In that 250k span, I've only purged out the OE fluid with fresh 3 times. About to do the 4th when it comes in for the next oil change.
Given your positive experience with MaxLife ATF, aren't you the least bit curious if the performance of the steering with MaxLife PS fluid could be even better than it is with the Honda OEM fluid as you whip through those 75 mph curves?

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts