Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

08 EX Resurrection

14K views 154 replies 10 participants last post by  Pilot73132 
#1 ·
Just got this 08 EX. Was told it needs a new motor. 264k on the clock. Follow along as we delve into why the Pilot does not run, and what else is up with it.
First pic is at the house, about to be winched onto the trailer. Cash has changed hands, and I have the title. One owner vehicle, very nice. I guess the problem is, when you are the original owner, you don't have to take care of the inside. Oh my, dirty and stinky. Yuk.
First thing I had to do was replace the back window. Found out it's cheaper to get a junkyard hatch than just replace the glass. So, that's what I did.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: fvf2588
#86 · (Edited)
May have to make room in the garage.
The perfect excuse to finally get...

Bonus is you get extra brownie points from your wife.

#88 ·
This is a project that should have been done a while ago. I ordered the valve cover gaskets with spark plug tube seals, VTEC solenoid gaskets, spark plugs, and other crap. Hoping the motor gets here soon so I can do the timing belt, and when the rest of the parts get here I can quickly get them in and be done.

#89 ·
Then to be all set for winter you can order your Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s and pick them up over at the Plattsburgh Walmart. That's what I did. :)

#90 ·
Plattsburgh is too far East. Lowville or Watertown would be easier. But, since I'm in VA now, I'll order them through Tire Rack. Now we're not sure we're keeping this. Looking at sites for a new house. Will definitely have to thin the herd before moving.

#91 ·
There's also the Walmart in Malone. Ever been there? I have, to get trousers they just didn't have at Canadian Walmarts. Border dude was understandably suspicious and pulled me over to secondary. He didn't find anything prohibited, of course, but he ended up charging me Canadian taxes on those trousers, maybe a buck something. Gotta pay for that health care somehow. And I got the trousers I wanted. Win-win.

#93 ·
Nope, I'm not some masquerading as some wannabe doomsday prepper.

Pleated and cuffed breathable cotton twill semi-formal black trousers.

But I fear we've drifted slightly off topic yet once again.

#95 ·
Used to get bespoke (tailor-made) suits in Hong Kong, then Seoul (they're really good there, BTW), but when you have a family, priorities change.

#97 ·
Motor will be here tomorrow. Excited. Today I got a new shift solenoid for the trans (I broke the other one), and a new AC condenser. I ordered parts, and most won't be here until next week. That gives me the weekend to do the timing belt/water pump, and possibly even bolt the motor/trans together. I would like to get a compression check done before I put the motor in.

#100 ·
Timing belt done. Aisin installed, GMB out. Covers are back on. I also changed the VTEC solenoid gasket, and spool valve gaskets. They were hard as a rock, and I'm sure not going to stay sealing for very long. Hoping to get the valves adjusted, and then put motor together with trans. Then compression check, and install.

Attachments

#101 ·
Nice to see an exclusive full-frontal photograph of a timing belt. :D

#102 ·
So much easier out of the car. That left side cam sprocket is a bear to get the belt on. Hate to do it in the car. Got a chance to work on my old CL Type S yesterday. Not fun at all. Pulled an oil pan from a V6 Accord, and all looked good until we tried to put it in the Acura. Now I need to order a proper oil pan so we can do it all again.

#103 ·
Today was an up and down day. Got the valve cover gaskets/spark plug tube seals done. Got spark plugs installed. Got motor and trans mated. Tomorrow I can try to get them mounted back in. Still a long ways off, but it's looking up.

Attachments

#105 ·
Well, when you have one of those helicopter lifts to guide it in, probably drop it right in from the top!

OK, c'mon back, little more, little left, nail it!

Reactions: Nail Grease
#106 ·
Nail, I usually do it like this. I don't have a decent transmission jack, so trying to get the angle just right when it's in the vehicle sucks. I did my CRV in place, but I don't like it very much. The transmissions on these is pretty darn heavy, so I can't pick it up and wiggle it around to get everything aligned either.

#107 ·
Motor is in. Only one more bolt and it will be secure. Then comes hooking things up, and installing the alternator, AC compressor, and tensioner. It may be cranked over this week. Wish me luck. Oh, and I'm in the middle of replacing the power steering rack on my Acura CL. Fun times.

Attachments

#110 ·
Bolted motor in, and realized I left the AC bracket on the motor I turned in. Oh well, go to the junkyard and score one off of an Odyssey. Install AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump, axles, fill trans. Still have a lot to go, but it's getting somewhere.

Attachments

#112 · (Edited)
Almost done, and of course it's going to rain tomorrow. Bad enough it's only 41 degrees. Anyway, power steering is done, exhaust is mostly there, brakes and wheels are on, intake is sort of on. One AC line is in, battery tray is in. New ground cable for the battery is in. I have the other new ground cable, but need to look and see where it goes.

Attachments

#113 ·
It RUNS! The Pilot runs. I'm so happy. Chased an all cylinder misfire for a while, but it's smooth as silk now. I replaced all of the coils. I bought new NGK spark plugs for it, and put them in before I put the motor in. Turns out I didn't get the NGK IR plugs. The last thing I had was a cylinder 1 misfire, and as soon as I pulled out the new plug and put in an old IR plug, the misfire was gone, and the car runs amazing. Of course, the radiator is leaking (probably the cause of the head gaskets that failed). Now that it runs, I can order the radiator, rear shocks, lower control arms, and tires. Oh, and put the front end back together. Thanks for coming along for the ride.

#114 ·
Turns out I didn't get the NGK IR plugs. The last thing I had was a cylinder 1 misfire, and as soon as I pulled out the new plug and put in an old IR plug, the misfire was gone, and the car runs amazing.
That NGK Laser(?) Iridium plugs made the difference is noteworthy and helpful to post. Mental note to be made if we come across member experiencing all cylinder misfires. It does happen from time to time, and the last one I remember put those in after removing Champion spark plugs.

#118 ·
It was fighting today, but I prevailed. Bad Neutral Start Switch was the first issue. Funny that it was bad when I purchased the vehicle also. I kept it when I turned in the old trans for a core. Good thing I did.

Reactions: Nail Grease
#119 ·
Of course nothing is easy. Had to drill and tap one of the holes for the license plate. Now that's done, time to disconnect the radiator and make preps for the new one.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.