Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I will pull the convertor out tomorrow and take a look. And pics, of course. It's a no brainer to replace the filter since I'm this far.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Sorry, couldn't resist making a version of the famous meme just for you. :D

·
Registered
4,900 Posts

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
And Not To Mention The BIG Reveal Of The Unservicable ATF Filter!
Coming Soon!!!
A first ever documented occurence right here on Piloteers.org

Reactions: ImBroke

·
Registered
6,048 Posts

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Nope, I'd call that gumption. :)
To actually open the cup and extract that filthy menace would be a great accomplishment. I despise it. I'd probably install the O ring to seal the lid and leave the filter out. Then install an inline Wix/Filtran 58953 on the hose going to radiator.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Two filters are better than one, right?
Just to think of putting a filter in that I couldn't get to, really really bothers me. In this case, no. 1 is better than 2, lol.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Well, this sucks. It appears as if you have to split the trans apart to replace the filter. Of course the AWD models have the transfer case attached to increase the difficulty. I don't think it's going to happen. I was hoping the access was right behind the torque convertor.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Well, this sucks. It appears as if you have to split the trans apart to replace the filter. Of course the AWD models have the transfer case attached to increase the difficulty. I don't think it's going to happen. I was hoping the access was right behind the torque convertor.
Not telling you what to do, but with 264k miles on the transmission, I'd do it. 😔

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Not telling you what to do, but with 264k miles on the transmission, I'd do it. 😔
Here's a guys Accura filter just packed with grey metallic silt.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Filter purchased. I was just thinking about it. I'll probably never be in there again, no time like the present. Hopefully I can get the "bell housing" off, so I can get to the filter easily. On another note, my wife's Acura wagon has an external filter that i need to change. I wonder if I can purchase another one to put in line on the Pilot?

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Filter purchased. I was just thinking about it. I'll probably never be in there again, no time like the present. Hopefully I can get the "bell housing" off, so I can get to the filter easily. On another note, my wife's Acura wagon has an external filter that i need to change. I wonder if I can purchase another one to put in line on the Pilot?
If the Acura has an external filter, then it does not have the internal one, like this 08 your working on. So no, I wouldn't double up. I'd go external all the way. I'd be pulling out this old 08 ATF filter like a bad tooth. Lol

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
6,048 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Trans is out. It is currently on the hoist with all but two bolts out that hold the "bell housing" on. Can't remove them until I can set it on the ground. I should be able to have the filter changed tomorrow. It'll be later though, I have work to do in the morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Trans is out. It is currently on the hoist with all but two bolts out that hold the "bell housing" on. Can't remove them until I can set it on the ground. I should be able to have the filter changed tomorrow. It'll be later though, I have work to do in the morning.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I know you are anxiously waiting, but it's not going to happen soon. First, I'm on travel in CA. Second, this is nowhere as easy as I thought it was going to be. The piece I'm trying to separate is what the trans gets assembled on. So, if I try to pry it apart, there is a good possibility I will mess something up. But, now that I have pried it apart a little, the gasket is trash, and the only way to replace that is to rebuild the whole transmission. So I ended up getting a transmission from the same place I got the motor from. Well, i should say I ordered it from, I should be able to pick it up Friday the 20th and start the timing belt/water pump replacement. I should have just left it.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts