Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

Registered
2008 Pilot SE
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks, I was bummed. The rest of the car is good. Trans worked fine. I don't remember what lights were on the dash. I'm looking at three at CoPart now. I can get a low mileage engine for 1400, but I don't think I can put it in. I'm not about to do some sketch stuff to get it high enough to come underneath. Decision doesn't have to be made soon, I have enough room to keep it for a while.

Registered
Thanks, I was bummed. The rest of the car is good. Trans worked fine. I don't remember what lights were on the dash. I'm looking at three at CoPart now. I can get a low mileage engine for 1400, but I don't think I can put it in. I'm not about to do some sketch stuff to get it high enough to come underneath. Decision doesn't have to be made soon, I have enough room to keep it for a while.
With the heads off, it might come out? We used to do an engine swap like this, with a good heavy tree limb and chain hoist. 馃檮

Reactions: aggrex

Registered
Didn't wear no wussy nitrile gloves either. Bare chested and bare handed. :p

But OP, I feel for your loss. The above CoPart suggestion is good, and if you don't have a big ol' tree handy, look into renting (or even borrowing) an engine hoist.

Registered
Didn't wear no wussy nitrile gloves either. Bare chested and bare handed. :p

But OP, I feel for your loss. The above CoPart suggestion is good, and if you don't have a big ol' tree handy, look into renting (or even borrowing) an engine hoist.
Wouldn't need as near heavy of a tree limb with these newer aluminum blocks and heads (6 cylinder). But for safety I guess, the bigger the better.

Registered
2008 Pilot SE
Discussion Starter #45
With the heads off, it might. But that means I need to remove the heads on the new motor to put it in? Nah, I'll pass. I have an engine hoist that's been well used. Last time I used it was in April on a Ranger. Has anyone swapped a motor in one of these from the top? I'd love to hear.

Attachments

Registered
2008 Pilot SE
Discussion Starter #46
Tried to junk the car today. Due to the DMV being mostly closed, I cannot get the title in my name until Oct 16. So, the Peddle offer got canceled. They will not make the check out to me, only to the previous owner. So, it looks like I either take a huge loss and drag it to a junkyard and get maybe $200 for it, or find someone to at least put the motor in. I can do the hookups, I just need them to bolt it in. If I can't get it in through the top, that is. Found out mine is not an EX, but an SE. Much lower offer came through because of it. Today keeps getting worse, I need a nap and a redo.

Registered
With the heads off, it might. But that means I need to remove the heads on the new motor to put it in? Nah, I'll pass. I have an engine hoist that's been well used. Last time I used it was in April on a Ranger. Has anyone swapped a motor in one of these from the top? I'd love to hear.
There is one YouTube video of a man drilling out the welds to remove the top bar of the radiator core support. He was removing and installing engine (with heads) and transmission at the same time. Then he used bolts to put the bar back on. Our 3rd Gen Pilot's now come with a removable bolted on top bar.

Registered
Tried to junk the car today. Due to the DMV being mostly closed, I cannot get the title in my name until Oct 16. So, the Peddle offer got canceled. They will not make the check out to me, only to the previous owner. So, it looks like I either take a huge loss and drag it to a junkyard and get maybe $200 for it, or find someone to at least put the motor in. I can do the hookups, I just need them to bolt it in. If I can't get it in through the top, that is. Found out mine is not an EX, but an SE. Much lower offer came through because of it. Today keeps getting worse, I need a nap and a redo.
If you decide you didn't want it, I'd throw the engine back together and tow it to Copart.
(You will need the title in your name) $89 + 2% of the sales price is your cost. You can set a reserve for 3 attempts to sell. You'll get more than $200.
Wax it and make it shine.

Registered
2008 Pilot SE
Discussion Starter #49
I'm going to investigate the core support removal method. I used to have a spot weld drill bit, not sure if I still do. If not, I have a sawzall and a welder.

Registered
2008 Pilot SE
Discussion Starter #50
Filled the cylinders with trans fluid. Will take some 400 grit later and see how clean I can get it. I may have to get a hone, but first steps first.

Registered
2008 Pilot SE
Discussion Starter #51
No sense messing around. Motor time. 14 spot welds to drill out, 4 bolts and the core support should come right out. Then I can disconnect the trans, and get this motor ready to pull. Funds will dictate the process, but I have a feeling it's going to be a while before I get a motor.

Attachments

Registered
No sense messing around. Motor time. 14 spot welds to drill out, 4 bolts and the core support should come right out. Then I can disconnect the trans, and get this motor ready to pull. Funds will dictate the process, but I have a feeling it's going to be a while before I get a motor.
Glad to hear you didn't give up on it. Hope it works out.

Reactions: ImBroke

Registered
Core support has been removed. I underestimated the amount of spot welds. 21 needed to be drilled out, not 14. That's ok, got it done.
Ought to come out easy now.
Good progress!

Registered
2008 Pilot SE
Discussion Starter #56
Looks like it will swing right out. Now to finish some other things so I can get the motor.

Registered
2008 Pilot SE
Discussion Starter #57
Still don't have the motor. Since I'm healthy again, they have me traveling. And been working on the new (to me) four wheeler. But, today I got something done. First off, I got a set of 10 pilot wheels and tires. Didn't know Honda changed the bolt pattern, so these are useless to me. Picked up these wheels, but I have no idea what they are from. I've searched OEM Honda rims, and cannot find anything like these. Tried the van, pilot, ridgeline, nothing. I have them on, and I think they look ok. I'm hoping these hold air for a long time, and dont go flat in a week. These are 17 inch Honda rims that someone curbed a little bit and painted them black (horribly, mind you).

Attachments

Registered
2008 Pilot SE
Discussion Starter #58
Got the Pilot into the carport. Motor is ordered. 175k on the motor, so it should last a little while anyways. Timing belt kit ordered (Aisin), should be here the same day as the motor. Tomorrow I pull the motor out so I have a core. Junkyard is too far to make two trips. Hoping things go fairly smoothly.

Attachments

Registered
That transmission has the unservicable ATF filter, until it's split it apart from the engine. It's behind the torque converter in the bell housing. I'd replace the filter or remove it and install an inline. If you should happen to explore this, please take photos and post. Few have been there.

Reactions: plplplpl
41 - 60 of 83 Posts