Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this 08 EX. Was told it needs a new motor. 264k on the clock. Follow along as we delve into why the Pilot does not run, and what else is up with it.
First pic is at the house, about to be winched onto the trailer. Cash has changed hands, and I have the title. One owner vehicle, very nice. I guess the problem is, when you are the original owner, you don't have to take care of the inside. Oh my, dirty and stinky. Yuk.
First thing I had to do was replace the back window. Found out it's cheaper to get a junkyard hatch than just replace the glass. So, that's what I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starter doesn't make any noise, so I pulled it to bench test. It's dead Jim. I only pulled it out because when I jumped the S post on the starter, nothing happened. Also, turning the key results in a click under the dash on the driver side, but nothing on the S terminal. Hoping it's the NSS doing that interruption. I loosened the switch and moved it all over, to no avail. Parts should be here Thursday.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so confident i can get this thing running, I splurged on a cabin air filter. Yeah, it needed it. Got the door panels cleaned up, front passenger seat is out. Tried some Chemical Guys carpet stuff in the back, we'll see how well that works out. Really don't want to replace the carpet, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
944 Posts
I would recommend taking the blower motor out just to make sure you clear all of the crap that got sucked into the cabin air filter. I took mine out and there was so much crap in there!
I hope you can get everything running!

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Previous owner had no sense of shame.

Kudos for working to restore this Pilot's dignity, let alone get it running.

Can't wait to see the progress you make.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, more grossness. If that's even a word. Filthy cannot describe it, nor the smell. Hopefully it gets better. Still have to get the third row seats out, but it's so hot it makes it hard to work. Seats look much worse out of the vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,034 Posts
Looks like you have your hands full getting the interior cleaned out. The previous owner must not have owned a vacuum cleaner. Keep us posted on your rebuild.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New starter and NSS arrived yesterday. Bench tested new starter, and it works fine. Installed NSS, and I have 12V at the S wire of the starter. Install starter. Crank over, and it seems like low compression. Finally it starts with a shot of ether and runs. Notice a knocking sound. Let it run for a bit, hoping it goes away. Nope. Notice steam coming from radiator, and give it the sniff test. Yep, exhaust smell. Motor needs a rebuild. Ok, they said it needed a motor. AC does not work. Rear DVD display says loading, and never starts playing. The auto down driver window does not auto down (suspected switch). VSA light was on, but not now. Strange.
I'm pre bidding on a wrecked Pilot at Copart, not sure when the auction is going to happen. But, it's got low miles and leather interior, so if I can get it for about a grand, I'm ahead. Time will tell. For now though, I need to get the center console out so I can clean the carpets, they are so nasty. Thanks for listening, but this may be the last update for a bit.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
New starter and NSS arrived yesterday. Bench tested new starter, and it works fine. Installed NSS, and I have 12V at the S wire of the starter. Install starter. Crank over, and it seems like low compression. Finally it starts with a shot of ether and runs. Notice a knocking sound. Let it run for a bit, hoping it goes away. Nope. Notice steam coming from radiator, and give it the sniff test. Yep, exhaust smell. Motor needs a rebuild. Ok, they said it needed a motor. AC does not work. Rear DVD display says loading, and never starts playing. The auto down driver window does not auto down (suspected switch). VSA light was on, but not now. Strange.
I'm pre bidding on a wrecked Pilot at Copart, not sure when the auction is going to happen. But, it's got low miles and leather interior, so if I can get it for about a grand, I'm ahead. Time will tell. For now though, I need to get the center console out so I can clean the carpets, they are so nasty. Thanks for listening, but this may be the last update for a bit.
Let us know how the Copart auction goez. Very interested in how your doner/parts vehicle looks like. Fun stuff.
This was my doner/parts Pilot.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even if I have to go to 1500, it's worth it. But that would be my upper limit. I may have to just rebuild the current motor and live with cloth seats.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Even if I have to go to 1500, it's worth it. But that would be my upper limit. I may have to just rebuild the current motor and live with cloth seats.
This vehicle really looks nice. It likely will sell for more because it appears to be re-buildable itself. But sometimes you can get a bargain.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought the same. There is another one wrecked worse, with the same clean interior, but with 187k miles on it.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Thought the same. There is another one wrecked worse, with the same clean interior, but with 187k miles on it.
That may be the better choice. You may can pick it up for $500 or so. It be nice to check the engine out first.

·
Registered
6,166 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since I know for sure head gaskets are an issue, I will start there. The knocking may be exhaust escaping. It sounded like that on our Grand Prix, and it was just the head gasket. Besides, I think Honda makes some pretty strong bottom ends, and with no gold flakes in the oil, a bearing is not suspect at this point. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Since I know for sure head gaskets are an issue, I will start there. The knocking may be exhaust escaping. It sounded like that on our Grand Prix, and it was just the head gasket. Besides, I think Honda makes some pretty strong bottom ends, and with no gold flakes in the oil, a bearing is not suspect at this point. Will keep everyone posted.
Oh man, that be awsome if you can fix the top side and have a good engine.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts