Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Get the Cardone here:

2006 HONDA PILOT 3.5L V6 CV Axle | RockAuto

Folks who did that job have been happy with them.

Half Axle Replacement

Don't forget your 5% Piloteers discount.

5% Discount Code: 31517DFA058403
Expires: February 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
944 Posts
If you're not experiencing any problems you could probably go for a while before needing to replace it. My 1996 Accord had a torn/leaky CV boot for 30,000 miles. It would occasionally pop but that was it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD
516 Posts
Inspect for boot cracks, clean up the grease mess and observe for where the grease is leaking. If there is no cracks in the rubber then one could wait until it starts clicking which is one signal of joint failure.
Precisely what I am doing on my 08 SE.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Inspect for boot cracks, clean up the grease mess and observe for where the grease is leaking. If there is no cracks in the rubber then one could wait until it starts clicking which is one signal of joint failure.
Even if there are cracks, if the rust shown in the pic is typical for the whole undercarriage, you might consider shifting into "minimum cost mode". CV's probably won't fail suddenly, and there's no point in investing in replacements if the car's life expectancy is not so long.

On the other hand, with the strong prices for used Pilots these days, if you're not driving it much it might be to your advantage to sell now and move on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Even if there are cracks, if the rust shown in the pic is typical for the whole undercarriage, you might consider shifting into "minimum cost mode". CV's probably won't fail suddenly, and there's no point in investing in replacements if the car's life expectancy is not so long.

On the other hand, with the strong prices for used Pilots these days, if you're not driving it much it might be to your advantage to sell now and move on.
I wouldn't replace the part until it became a safety issue, or failed.

It's in great shape for an 07 in Canada. 150k miles and it doesn't miss a beat. I'd like to get a few more years from it at least. I drive it maybe 4k miles year max nowadays.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It's in great shape for an 07 in Canada. 150k miles and it doesn't miss a beat. I'd like to get a few more years from it at least. I drive it maybe 4k miles year max nowadays.
We must travel similar salt/brine coated wintery roads as my Pilot HAD similar rusty bits down below. Some TLC, rust converter, FF, etc on those rusty bits will help keep your Pilot on the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We must travel similar salt/brine coated wintery roads as my Pilot HAD similar rusty bits down below. Some TLC, rust converter, FF, etc on those rusty bits will help keep your Pilot on the road.
Ha! Two years ago the trans cooler line that goes into the bottom of the rad just rusted right off and drained the trans, thankfully it happened in my driveway. I will look into doing some TLC in the spring but that window has closed for the winter here! I don't think the rust is comprising integrity anywhere and there's no bubbles under the paint yet but the clearcoat is worn off completely in a few spots so they're of concern for rust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts