Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm happy to say I have not been on here in forever because we have had hardly any troubles with our Pilot since we bought it new in November of '06. I've had a rear blower motor resistor go out, and a couple of other minor things but it has been great otherwise.

That changed a few weeks ago when the TPMS light came on (the system light, not the low air pressure light). The manual says that there is a fault with the system, and the system is no longer monitoring pressures.

How in the heck do I even troubleshoot this? I'm also a VW guy, and in the VW world we have Vagcom (VCDS/OBDeleven) that allows me to access all of the different control modules and sensors. Through an app or software on my computer, I can connect to my car and roll the windows down, change settings, etc. and get access to sensors that I don't even know what they are measuring. LOL!

Does Honda have anything like this?
If not, back to my original question, how in the heck do I troubleshoot this???

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
409 Posts
There's a chance that one or more of the TPMS sensors in the tire died (bad battery). There are scan tools that can look at the system, to see if the sensors are live and transmitting to receiver located on the top of each wheel well under the plastic inner liner. Start with the easy (bad sensors) before condemning the system. Try this Autel Tool: Amazon.com: Autel TPMS Relearn Tool TS408, 2022 Upgraded Version of Autel TS401, TPMS Reset, Sensor Activation, Program, Key Fob Testing, with Lifetime Update : Everything Else

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
1,036 Posts
How in the heck do I even troubleshoot this? I'm also a VW guy, and in the VW world we have Vagcom (VCDS/OBDeleven) that allows me to access all of the different control modules and sensors. Through an app or software on my computer, I can connect to my car and roll the windows down, change settings, etc. and get access to sensors that I don't even know what they are measuring. LOL!

Does Honda have anything like this?
Honda Diagnostic System/Honda Interface Module (HDS/HIM)
I've got one that was given to me.There's a few places that sell clones. (Looks identical to what I have.)
I've used it for resetting the SRS, and VSA systems. Works along with the Factory Service Manual.

This one came up with a quick Bing search.
V3.104.024 Honda HDS HIM diagnostic tool + Z-TEK USB1.1 to RS232 Convert Connector

You'll probably need new TPMS wheel sensors, the batteries have probably died at 15 years old.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honda Diagnostic System/Honda Interface Module (HDS/HIM)
I've got one that was given to me.There's a few places that sell clones. (Looks identical to what I have.)
I've used it for resetting the SRS, and VSA systems. Works along with the Factory Service Manual.

This one came up with a quick Bing search.
V3.104.024 Honda HDS HIM diagnostic tool + Z-TEK USB1.1 to RS232 Convert Connector

You'll probably need new TPMS wheel sensors, the batteries have probably died at 15 years old.
Supposedly my tire store "rebuilds" them when new tires are installed, which was last in late 2019. It was at a Les Schwab, which is a pretty reputable tire store out here in the PNW. I got to thinking last night that they are pretty big on "standing behind their work", so I'm going to give them a call today and at least see what my options are through them. Maybe they warranty their work on the sensors. Otherwise, maybe they can at least test them and confirm whether or not they work, then I can move on from there.

I'm hoping I can avoid buying the TPMS tool mentioned above as I would probably never use it again, or at least for a really long time. My VW does not have a sensor in the valve stem, it uses measurements from the ABS sensor to identify a tire that is having pressure issues.

I will definitely check out the link you provided, for the diagnostic tool, thank you.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
589 Posts
Supposedly my tire store "rebuilds" them when new tires are installed, which was last in late 2019. It was at a Les Schwab, which is a pretty reputable tire store out here in the PNW. I got to thinking last night that they are pretty big on "standing behind their work", so I'm going to give them a call today and at least see what my options are through them. Maybe they warranty their work on the sensors. Otherwise, maybe they can at least test them and confirm whether or not they work, then I can move on from there.

I'm hoping I can avoid buying the TPMS tool mentioned above as I would probably never use it again, or at least for a really long time. My VW does not have a sensor in the valve stem, it uses measurements from the ABS sensor to identify a tire that is having pressure issues.

I will definitely check out the link you provided, for the diagnostic tool, thank you.
They change the grommets on the valve stem. The assembly is a sealed unit, so you can not change the battery. The sensor has to be changed as a unit.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My mechanic said as long as i monitor my pressures regularly I should be okay and that my rear left sensor is bad on my 05 that’s why it comes on and save money to just put black tape over the light when it comes on!
I'm going to weigh in on this idea from the mechanic, the "mech" has a point, just manually check and put air in tire, this technique has worked for generations and almost never fails. Your going to spend hundreds just to turn off a dash light. There's just so much what I call "extra unneeded convenience luxury" items installed on cars that just raises the cost to buy and fix. Really?!?!?!. I mean it great for the dealer service dept and for us mechanics but it can be a huge pain to fix when people add aftermarket items because the car's ECM/PCM hates it etc. Listen, all of my cars are pre-2005, all are mechanically excellent, no CEL at all and everything on them works, even the HVAC, smog checks show the emissions are only a tenth or hundredths of the allowed. I don't need nor want TPMS, back up camera, and all the extras, my phone has Google Map, I prefer turning my head when backing because I see more than the camera, and my eyes are on the road and scanning surrounding traffic, not watching TV, and my radio/CD isn't so loud I can't hear the traffic. Many decades ago I was taught driving is a "full time job, 95% of the people out there can't drive, and think of the dumbest thing they can do, bet on it." And in case your wondering I've never been in any my fault accidents, the 3 I were in was because my fellow "sisters" brains were elsewhere. Yes, that's right, men weren't involved, can't blame men for the accident, just everything else (wink) don't worry still got love for ya all. My girls were distracted/confused by having their minds elsewhere. Lastly, just to put the 'haters' in check about my driving skills, I was taught how to drive by Lake Speed (retired NASCAR) and his cousin, who best to learn from than professional racers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to weigh in on this idea from the mechanic, the "mech" has a point, just manually check and put air in tire, this technique has worked for generations and almost never fails. Your going to spend hundreds just to turn off a dash light. There's just so much what I call "extra unneeded convenience luxury" items installed on cars that just raises the cost to buy and fix. Really?!?!?!. I mean it great for the dealer service dept and for us mechanics but it can be a huge pain to fix when people add aftermarket items because the car's ECM/PCM hates it etc. Listen, all of my cars are pre-2005, all are mechanically excellent, no CEL at all and everything on them works, even the HVAC, smog checks show the emissions are only a tenth or hundredths of the allowed. I don't need nor want TPMS, back up camera, and all the extras, my phone has Google Map, I prefer turning my head when backing because I see more than the camera, and my eyes are on the road and scanning surrounding traffic, not watching TV, and my radio/CD isn't so loud I can't hear the traffic. Many decades ago I was taught driving is a "full time job, 95% of the people out there can't drive, and think of the dumbest thing they can do, bet on it." And in case your wondering I've never been in any my fault accidents, the 3 I were in was because my fellow "sisters" brains were elsewhere. Yes, that's right, men weren't involved, can't blame men for the accident, just everything else (wink) don't worry still got love for ya all. My girls were distracted/confused by having their minds elsewhere. Lastly, just to put the 'haters' in check about my driving skills, I was taught how to drive by Lake Speed (retired NASCAR) and his cousin, who best to learn from than professional racers.

PREACH!!! LOL!!

I am with you! My 3 most favorite cars were a 77' Ford with a big block motor, '77 Datsun 280Z, and a 1969 VW Bug. All very easy to work on, and 2 of the 3 had millennial anti-theft devices. The truck had the 7.3L motor, so it had its own brand of "keep your eyes on the road" :LOL:

I mentioned in another post that I have a VW, I got it for the 6 speed millennial anti-theft device. I find that I am much more attentive to my driving when I am also having to change gears. I also like not having to depend on a computer to decide when to downshift.

I learned at an early age how to do a lot of my own wrench turning. I hate paying mechanics if I can help it (no offense to an mechanics on the forum). The only thing I pay to have done on the pilot is the AT fluid changes. I know its easy, but that is one thing I would rather have someone else do. Otherwise I do my own oil changes, suspension work, brakes, timing belt, plugs, valves etc. It's getting harder and harder to do my own work with all the different black boxes running things.

When we bought the Pilot, the finance guy was trying to push the extended warranty on us, and talked about how the Pilot had 20-30+ (I can't remember the exact number) different computers. I won't repeat what went through my head, but it did rhyme with "Duuuuuuuuuuck!!"

I'll admit the back up camera is nice, and the ABS has saved my butt a time or 2, but the rest of the crap like TPMS monitoring is a bunch of nonsense.

As for my current situation, I'm gonna check with my tire store to see what they say, but if its more than $50-100 I am going to have to figure out how to suppress my dash light OCD. ;)

Very cool you learned how to drive from Lake Speed, I'll bet that was awesome.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
1,036 Posts
I am going to have to figure out how to suppress my dash light OCD. ;)
Our 06 needs new wheel sensors, and I'm not going to get them until it needs new tires. If it's the graphic of the vehicle (Like the door ajar graphic) that's the main thing bothering you simply remove fuse #10 (7.5 Amp) in the Auxillary Under-hood Fuse Box.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number

You'll still have the TPMS letters lit but you won't have the graphic showing.

·
Registered
409 Posts
PREACH!!! LOL!!

I am with you! My 3 most favorite cars were a 77' Ford with a big block motor, '77 Datsun 280Z, and a 1969 VW Bug. All very easy to work on, and 2 of the 3 had millennial anti-theft devices. The truck had the 7.3L motor, so it had its own brand of "keep your eyes on the road" :LOL:

I mentioned in another post that I have a VW, I got it for the 6 speed millennial anti-theft device. I find that I am much more attentive to my driving when I am also having to change gears. I also like not having to depend on a computer to decide when to downshift.

I learned at an early age how to do a lot of my own wrench turning. I hate paying mechanics if I can help it (no offense to an mechanics on the forum). The only thing I pay to have done on the pilot is the AT fluid changes. I know its easy, but that is one thing I would rather have someone else do. Otherwise I do my own oil changes, suspension work, brakes, timing belt, plugs, valves etc. It's getting harder and harder to do my own work with all the different black boxes running things.

When we bought the Pilot, the finance guy was trying to push the extended warranty on us, and talked about how the Pilot had 20-30+ (I can't remember the exact number) different computers. I won't repeat what went through my head, but it did rhyme with "Duuuuuuuuuuck!!"

I'll admit the back up camera is nice, and the ABS has saved my butt a time or 2, but the rest of the crap like TPMS monitoring is a bunch of nonsense.

As for my current situation, I'm gonna check with my tire store to see what they say, but if its more than $50-100 I am going to have to figure out how to suppress my dash light OCD. ;)

Very cool you learned how to drive from Lake Speed, I'll bet that was awesome.
Yes, used to hang out with in the pits, that's where I started. But the time I was 16 I was already tearing down and rebuilding engines, trannys, brakes, carbs, etc, although I can't do bodywork. I tried, the after looks worse than the before pix. I did auto and electronics all through H.S. then went and got my ASE level 2 after 2 years community college. Worked for Ford for a few years, got tired of their BS, took the "buy out" and now my own shop and mobile. So you see ol girl started early and over 35+ broke lots of nails and knuckles. If was up to me and the law permitted, EFI/PCM/electronics gone, back with carbs, timing light, o-scope/scope on a rope, and a glass of beer on the air cleaner. My old Cutlass and Mustangs ran very smooth, no smog, no burning oil, no leaking valve seal nothing, even the HVAC worked. Used to experiment with carbs, heads, cams, over-sized pistons/valves, headers, and exhaust. Hey what's a girl to do when surrounded by NASCAR all her life. I can't help but smile/giggle when I see way newer cars (like 2015+) on the side of the interstates with the orange sticker as I blow past them in my 20 y.o. plus cars or truck. If the owners there and I have my truck most times I'll stop but many guys still doubt girls can wrench. You'd think a tool truck with the "READING" cabinet tool bed (similar to the attached pix) and air compressor would mean something but the guys probably think it's my ol man's and I'm going home; no it's mine. From the outside it must look damn funny seeing an older woman with the air impact gun changing a tire or hooking up the jump box on the side of the road. Ah, that's alright though because it just sucks to be stuck. Just buy me some 0.0 Heinekein so I don't get a DUI but can enjoy the taste. And no guys I hate wine and other "girly drinks", again thank NASCAR. I'd rather have BBQ and beer, always was a cheap date. Don't much care for girly movies either, too much estrogen/drama. I'd rather see watch a buff well put together dude take control and whoop some ass.

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Our 06 needs new wheel sensors, and I'm not going to get them until it needs new tires. If it's the graphic of the vehicle (Like the door ajar graphic) that's the main thing bothering you simply remove fuse #10 (7.5 Amp) in the Auxillary Under-hood Fuse Box.
View attachment 162391
You'll still have the TPMS letters lit but you won't have the graphic showing.
Some where in this forum I addressed the TPMS sender and receivers which I included pictures. I've included them here. Does anyone know how to find their own posts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
1,036 Posts
Yes, used to hang out with in the pits, that's where I started. But the time I was 16 I was already tearing down and rebuilding engines, trannys, brakes, carbs, etc, although I can't do bodywork. I tried, the after looks worse than the before pix. I did auto and electronics all through H.S. then went and got my ASE level 2 after 2 years community college. Worked for Ford for a few years, got tired of their BS, took the "buy out" and now my own shop and mobile. So you see ol girl started early and over 35+ broke lots of nails and knuckles. If was up to me and the law permitted, EFI/PCM/electronics gone, back with carbs, timing light, o-scope/scope on a rope, and a glass of beer on the air cleaner. My old Cutlass and Mustangs ran very smooth, no smog, no burning oil, no leaking valve seal nothing, even the HVAC worked. Used to experiment with carbs, heads, cams, over-sized pistons/valves, headers, and exhaust. Hey what's a girl to do when surrounded by NASCAR all her life. I can't help but smile/giggle when I see way newer cars (like 2015+) on the side of the interstates with the orange sticker as I blow past them in my 20 y.o. plus cars or truck. If the owners there and I have my truck most times I'll stop but many guys still doubt girls can wrench. You'd think a tool truck with the "READING" cabinet tool bed (similar to the attached pix) and air compressor would mean something but the guys probably think it's my ol man's and I'm going home; no it's mine. From the outside it must look damn funny seeing an older woman with the air impact gun changing a tire or hooking up the jump box on the side of the road. Ah, that's alright though because it just sucks to be stuck. Just buy me some 0.0 Heinekein so I don't get a DUI but can enjoy the taste. And no guys I hate wine and other "girly drinks", again thank NASCAR. I'd rather have BBQ and beer, always was a cheap date. Don't much care for girly movies either, too much estrogen/drama. I'd rather see watch a buff well put together dude take control and whoop some ass.
Put my time in at AMC/AMCRenault/DaimlerChrysler/Chrysler took the no penalty early retirement during the bankruptcy. Didn't care to go through yet another merger. Spent 10 years in the body division.
Worked at a few body shops during lay-offs, one was Custom Auto Restoration Services (C.A.R.S.) where we did restorations, top chops, and other custom work.

I was the 12 year old kid that tried hanging around with the guys that had the "Cool Cars" back in the days of 340/440 Six-Packs, Hemi powered Road Runners, Boss Mustangs, etc.. Finally got accepted by the older guys when they found out I could actually out wrench them when the guy with the 440 Six-Pack Super Bee was having carb problems. Took that progressive linkage off and put back together the vacuum operated secondaries. Pete (The owner) took it out and said it never ran that good before, what the heck did you do? I was in!

Also did a stint during one of the many lay-offs as a C.E.T. (Certified Electronics Tech.) after a two year Electronics Products Servicing course. Used to be able to read the writing on SMD's (Surface Mount Devices) without glasses, but these old eyes can't do that anymore.

Had a 69 Plymouth Sattelite with the 225 Slant Six that gave more than one 327/350 Nova, Camaro etc., a good run for their money. Clifford Research 4 barrel intake manifold, Holley carb, marine cam, 90 thousandths milled off the head, split exhaust. Loved the looks on guys faces when they saw what was under the hood after they swore I had to be running a big block. Some guys just stood looking in disbelief, others took quite a ribbing when their friends would go "You got beat by a six". :ROFLMAO:

Racecar forwards or backwards is still racecaR

·
Registered
409 Posts
Put my time in at AMC/AMCRenault/DaimlerChrysler/Chrysler took the no penalty early retirement during the bankruptcy. Didn't care to go through yet another merger. Spent 10 years in the body division.
Worked at a few body shops during lay-offs, one was Custom Auto Restoration Services (C.A.R.S.) where we did restorations, top chops, and other custom work.

I was the 12 year old kid that tried hanging around with the guys that had the "Cool Cars" back in the days of 340/440 Six-Packs, Hemi powered Road Runners, Boss Mustangs, etc.. Finally got accepted by the older guys when they found out I could actually out wrench them when the guy with the 440 Six-Pack Super Bee was having carb problems. Took that progressive linkage off and put back together the vacuum operated secondaries. Pete (The owner) took it out and said it never ran that good before, what the heck did you do? I was in!

Also did a stint during one of the many lay-offs as a C.E.T. (Certified Electronics Tech.) after a two year Electronics Products Servicing course. Used to be able to read the writing on SMD's (Surface Mount Devices) without glasses, but these old eyes can't do that anymore.

Had a 69 Plymouth Sattelite with the 225 Slant Six that gave more than one 327/350 Nova, Camaro etc., a good run for their money. Clifford Research 4 barrel intake manifold, Holley carb, marine cam, 90 thousandths milled off the head, split exhaust. Loved the looks on guys faces when they saw what was under the hood after they swore I had to be running a big block. Some guys just stood looking in disbelief, others took quite a ribbing when their friends would go "You got beat by a six". :ROFLMAO:

Racecar forwards or backwards is still racecaR
Oh yeah, gotta love solder paste, can't even do much board level repair now because mostly can't get local parts. Don't blame ya on the multiple mergers, FIAT?! (naaaahhhh). Unbelievable that Fiat has Mopar because it's Fiat. Lots of quality complaints. I just watched a You Tube about a poor soul whose 2022 Ram had a blown seal on his drum, no reverse. It didn't surprise me though given the number of decades of transmission issues with Mopar. At one time during the 90s-2000s Ford told Mopar to fix it or no more Cummings for the Ram. This poor guy.

An $83,000 piece of Junk - My 2022 RAM 2500 is Already Broke Down - YouTube

-and-

Live! Transmission Update, New Curtis Cab Options, and More - YouTube

-and-

The BIG Problem with 3/4 Ton Diesel Trucks - Tow Capacity Vs Payload - YouTube

But quality amongst the U.S. manufacturers have suffered a bit over the decades. IMHO, way too much plastic and I don't like the low tension piston rings to improve economy, doesn't help if spending that money on quarts of oil. 1 quart per 1000 miles? So, let's see if we do simple math by this number, 10,000 miles = $350-$600 just in oil (given oil is $3.50-$6.00 per quart) So at 50k that's the price of long block and we haven't even talked about flushes to clean the carbon. I'd rather have a bit less mileage and not have to constantly buy oil and carbon treatment. We all know a maintained engine works well. And lets not forget the many thread we see here about VTEC, VCM, and multiple P3XX just to get better mileage. Again give me carbs, Holley or Edelbrock, GT40, headers, timing light, Pete Jackson (gear drive, I'll take the whine) and a Heinekein and I'll give you purring kitty power that all people see are the tail lights behind it. But again parts/chip shortages is the new headache that'll be with us for some time. I know we (meaning America) is trying to restart chip manufacturing but it's a bit too late because it's still going to take a while to get up and running. Speaking of running this ol gal out, I'm going to the garage to fix my weed eater. And for anyone having a no start or run for a bit and die small engine, look to the carb and check the cylinder head screw, it may have backed out, that happened to mine, factory didn't put loc-tite on the screws, compression check 100 psi is good, carbs diaphragms, bulbs, fuel filters and lines are other possibilities.

·
Registered
2006 Pilot LX 4WD
1,036 Posts
Yep, Fiat brought they're (Fix It Again Tony) description to the table.
Former Co-worker has a 2021 Ram that is now on it's forth instrument display panel. ( They just plain die)
He's ready to turn it in under the states lemon law before he gets stuck paying $1,400.00 for that recurring problem when the warranty expires. The dealers had the truck more than he has waiting on replacement displays.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yep, Fiat brought they're (Fix It Again Tony) description to the table.
Former Co-worker has a 2021 Ram that is now on it's forth instrument display panel. ( They just plain die)
He's ready to turn it in under the states lemon law before he gets stuck paying $1,400.00 for that recurring problem when the warranty expires. The dealers had the truck more than he has waiting on replacement displays.
Dayamnnnnnnn! Fourth IP?! Definitely a lemon! IIRC three unsuccessful repair for the same item within a year qualifies. 3/36k warranty still there or is it done? It is a 2021, but mileage goes fast if driven everywhere daily. Some people can put 20k on the clock in the first year. You watch the videos above? Ol' girl got her weed eater running, needed new carb and coil. Oh well, can't complain, the OEM coil and carb were 17 years old, they got their use, so I'm good. Now the trimmer like my mower starts on 1-2 pulls (mostly 1 pull) after priming and choking, I hate it when engines don't readily start. Waiting to see what "wcarm" did with the TPMS. I wouldn't bother (just black tape or bulb pull) especially if there's other problems like the rear subframe rust.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Forehead Smile Chin Photograph Facial expression

·
Registered
409 Posts
Talked to him last evening, he's done. Truck has less than 5K miles on it and the new (4th) display died on his way home from the dealer. Took it back and told them to keep it. He filed the paperwork Friday.

2021? <5k? Well insert every explicit word we can think of. I think if it were me and if I could I'd cube (crusher) it then flat bed it to them because you know the dealer is going to try and sell it again. How long does the paperwork take? How much did he pay and what plan did he use? U might know of the Ford Z plan (current and retired employees).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts